MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to purchase a used 2005 Black MV Agusta Brutale 750cc with 12,000 miles for $6000 US dollars. My concern is that this bike is expense to maintain and service especially the 750cc model. I have a few questions:

1) Is this price a good deal?

2) Is this bike as reliable as say a Honda CB919 Hornet

3) What does insurance cost per year for this bike?

4) What should I look for when inspecting a used 2005 Brutale?

Any feedback or advice would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Depends what you want to do with it.

Maintenance will be higher as of the 6000km interval, but it will be reliable.
Price seems Ok with me.
Ensurance in your country I do not know.
Chekc for camshafts and hub problems, but can be solved.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
The price is too high.

I have never owned a Honda Hornet so I don't know.

Insurance cost will depend on many things, including where you live and your driving record.

Make sure the chain tension is correct. Ask if it has ever been adjusted. Ask if the recommended services have been done and by whom. check for scuffs on the bar ends, clutch and brake levers, and silver marks on the mid frame plates from either the rear brake lever or shift lever. (Evidence the bike may have been dropped.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
greetings from greece everybody! Could anyone tell me what problems might have a used 750, 910 brutale about 30000kms thank u.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
The price is too high.

I have never owned a Honda Hornet so I don't know.

Insurance cost will depend on many things, including where you live and your driving record.

Make sure the chain tension is correct. Ask if it has ever been adjusted. Ask if the recommended services have been done and by whom. check for scuffs on the bar ends, clutch and brake levers, and silver marks on the mid frame plates from either the rear brake lever or shift lever. (Evidence the bike may have been dropped.)
Agreed. Miles are high for that price. You can generally find them with lower miles for similar prices.

·
Registered
198 Posts
greetings from greece everybody! Could anyone tell me what problems might have a used 750, 910 brutale about 30000kms thank u.
Look around the forum You will find a lots of good info No problems that can't be solved It is a great bike !

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
FWIW I got $6000 for my '04 750S with 24,000 miles (not a typo) 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
228 Posts
FWIW I got $6000 for my '04 750S with 24,000 miles (not a typo) 3 weeks ago.
Haven't received it yet, but just bought an '04 750 with "230" miles on it for $6500.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have a 2005 750 s and love it.

I got mine two months ago $7500 with 2k on it put 2k on since.

For insurance I went with Foremost. I've got a clean record so $280.00 a year full coverage $500 deduct. on a $9,000 value

·
Registered
229 Posts
To the original poster, I say go for it!

I just picked up an 04 Brutale S with 10,500 miles and I'm loving it. It's all stock and seems to be in great condition. It's a lot of bike for the money and while the maintenance may be higher than others, those other bikes don't give me the same satifsfaction as I get from riding the Brutale :)

BTW, I'm paying $238 per/yr for liability only with Geico and have two speeding tickets on my record.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got my 05 model for $8500 with 1700 miles on it. I think it was a good price for a bike that was $14K new. I checked craigslist and ebay for a few weeks before this deal came up. Check Kelly Blue Book, it seems to set a good baseline on used prices.

Most don't relate sportbike mileage the same as cars. i assume because sportbikes rev to 13000+ rpm. I'm curious, if a modern Japanese car can easily do 100,000 miles before things start going bad, what is today's expected mileage for a sportbike? Anyone work at a dealership and have a general lifespan of sportbikes?

·
Administrator
20,053 Posts
I have seen properly maintained and ridden sport bikes with over 50,000 miles and no engine repairs needed (clutch plates, yes. piston rings, no). I firmly believe that, if you use the right maintenance parts and intervals (and ride like a sane person) you should get 100,000 miles on a modern sport bike. I have seen BMWs with over 100,000. Chassis bits will be replaced before the engine needs to come apart (pivot bushings, fork seals, of course chains and sprockets).

Caveat here, racers will NOT get this life span....not sure H-Ds can either (although I have seen H-Ds with lots of miles, they have usually been reworked at some point).

·
Registered
217 Posts
there were '04/'05 SEVERAL 750's for sale in LA last month. the one w/ > 10K couldn't sell for $5. so yah, way too much.

in the end, i opted for the 910S due to better gas mileage and newer vintage

·
Registered
922 Posts
With Harley owning MV now, wouldn't that make the 750 a girl's bike in the states?

Sportster owners will know what I mean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts