MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As per the title

I totalled it2-3 weeks ago. Thanks to a nice lady who decided to run a red light to cause a low speed collision as I bolted on a green light.
Insurance wrote it off - it is up for an auction as a stat write off.

Trivial damage (broken front Brake lever, bent back brake lever, small plastic radiator guard snap and a tiny scratch) that I would have had fixed in 2-3 days on my old Suzuki SV but the accessor said they found some other cosmetic damage (that I could not honestly even see) so the cost of parts and the wait time to get them from Italy means it is a write off.
It rides just fine as it was a low speed collision as I just clipped her as I was trying to dodge her.

Only done 7000 kms and it is perfect! So if anyone keen - shoot me a PM and I give you the details of the auction in Au (not sure if I am allowed to post a link) - I reckon it would make a good track bike or even for parts! Given it is a statutory write-off .. it can not be registered in NSW (not sure about other states)

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
stat right off yep track bike it will be most likely
its either going to pickles or manheim, just post the link
dont think that will be a problem at all

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I spoke to QBE guy he said $1.5k-$3.5k but clearly had no idea. I rode it for a week after the accident before it was accessed and written off. Rode just fine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thats unbelievable, yours looks positively 'concourse' compared with some of the repairable write offs. If its purely cosmetic damage I don't understand how it could be assessed as a stat write off. Parts availability, or lack of, may have some part in the decision making process but from an insurers perspective that only delays the bit they hate the most, paying for the repairs. FWIW, I was told by a staff member in the showroom here recently that their workshop has a bike that has been waiting on crash repair parts for over 6 months. Small wonder that bike insurance is so expensive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sundodger

I estimated the cost of the authentic original parts needed to be less than $700. I actually contacted the lady who caused an accident and offered her to pay for the parts so I could fix my bike without getting insurance companies involved. Was just going to get some descent 3rd party brake lever as the original wasn't available. She decided to get her insurance company involved.

I wasn't even going to take my bile for the assessment, but QBE insisted to ensure my safety even though the bike rode just as fine as before the accident. Only the rear brake lever was bent it and I was going to have a mechanic to see if it could be unbent.

Feel very saddened as I took my bike to its death by the insurance company.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, it just so happens that I am looking for a track bike......and I just registered on Manheim.........maybe a bargain to be had.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What I'm struggling to understand is why it was assessed as a stat write off because from the Insurance companies point of view they would recoup considerably more at the auction if it was classed as repairable. I also find it hard to comprehend that to put a vehicle on the road, we have to go through 'government' agencies, compliance, inspections etc but to effectively take a vehicle off the road permanently all that is needed is a man in a suit from QBE - bizarre.
That aside, what a waste of the resources that went into making the bike in the first place.
It reminds me that many years ago Honda UK had a handful of RC30's remaining that were manufactured presumably to comply with homologation rules but didn't sell and they very publicly put them through a crusher rather than as was suggested at the time, donate them to a charity to auction off. Utter waste.

Thats my rant for the day.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Interesting read. I had a low side last year on my 2013 1090 and clocked up about 12k in damage. It was repaired rather than written off by NRMA. Go figure.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think the fact it's an MV Agusta and the current state of affairs of the company, probably influenced the insurer's decision.

Also, does NSW still have repairable write-offs? I thought they ditched it a few years back, because IIRC QLD wants to follow similar route to minimise stolen vehicle rebirthing.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's a way for the (previous) owner to re-register a written off bike in NSW, might be worth looking into ...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting read. I had a low side last year on my 2013 1090 and clocked up about 12k in damage. It was repaired rather than written off by NRMA. Go figure.
That is the thing. My repair quote was 11k. Mind boggles as I honestly thought it would take less than $700 to fix it.

Apparently the insurance people found a tiny scratch on the front fork and it is impossible to repair it. It had to be replaced at a gynomous cost parts and labour. No matter how I pleaded, they were curteous and firm. As the bike was only insured for under $13k (my purchase price), the cost of repairs exceeded 80% of the agreed value and hence an automatic and statutory write off.

BTW the wait for the parts is ridiculously long. For some parts ETA is like 2-3 months. The parts I needed to fix it weren't vital, but just imagine if it is a front brake master cylinder on an engine part etc.

I immediately proceeded purchasing a humble Suzuki GSX-S1000 and my Italian adventure came to an end.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm pretty sure there's a way for the (previous) owner to re-register a written off bike in NSW, might be worth looking into ...
I did and apparently there is no way. So I was told by QBE. Not in NSW. Perhaps it can be re-registered in other states.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
really? what about the engine number?

Where can you get a frame though? If from MV Agusta - it will cost like a new bike most likely

·
Registered
392 Posts
That is the thing. My repair quote was 11k. Mind boggles as I honestly thought it would take less than $700 to fix it.

Apparently the insurance people found a tiny scratch on the front fork and it is impossible to repair it. It had to be replaced at a gynomous cost parts and labour. No matter how I pleaded, they were curteous and firm. As the bike was only insured for under $13k (my purchase price), the cost of repairs exceeded 80% of the agreed value and hence an automatic and statutory write off.

BTW the wait for the parts is ridiculously long. For some parts ETA is like 2-3 months. The parts I needed to fix it weren't vital, but just imagine if it is a front brake master cylinder on an engine part etc.

I immediately proceeded purchasing a humble Suzuki GSX-S1000 and my Italian adventure came to an end.
I sent you a pm on Netrider. I'm going to try and get this one as a track bike.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You usually get the first option to buy back from the insurance company before it goes to auction.
I want those exhaust cans.
It usually goes for between 5k to 7k from past auction
But you might be lucky.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 34 Posts