MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Why is there a link to a post that is 2 sentences long? :) The link is almost as long as the post but ummm, thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
22,483 Posts
Funny, as I don't think the 1090RR has a snatchy throttle response at all. That was one of the "improvements" made for that model.

·
Super Moderator
22,483 Posts
Quick action and snatchy are two very different things. I feel the 1090RR is one of the most controlable bikes I have ever ridden right out of the box.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quick action and snatchy are two very different things. I feel the 1090RR is one of the most controlable bikes I have ever ridden right out of the box.

whats the two very different things then?....i thought that people talking of a snatchy throttle mean its abit on of like a switch and this is the feeling i get from useing QAT's..

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
to snatch or not to snatch

Horses for courses really isn't it.

When i test rode the bike in question it felt ok initially but there were a few small issues that over a period of time i felt would annoy you. Riding real slow was difficult, there was a weird thing when trying to rev the engine slowly on the side stand which reminded me a bit of the 1000R being hard to hold at 5krpm. It just felt a little unfinished. Much better than previous MV's but not as good as it should be.

The owner obviously thought the same as he had tried all other routes and was left with the Microtec as his last resort.

We found around 10bhp in terms of peak power but the big improvements are on the slow riding. You can sit at 1500 rpm in 6th all day long if you want, trickle the throttle on and the bike will pull cleanly and smoothly right through the rev range.

I have seen other people raise questions with the 1090 so possibly some people are more sensitive to issues than others.

For those that have issues then yes we do have a solution that works.

For those who don't think they do then cool :) enjoy. :)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
would a powercommander help with this low speed problem?

I doubt it, it might help but i make ignition changes as well through the Microtec so i can tune and adjust to my hearts content to work out these issues and it's at this point that the argument begins again.

To fit a Power commander you need to first fit a race ECU in order to switch the lambda off without doing this you won't be able to map below around 20% throttle.

That'll set you back around £700- £850 depending upon what you manage to get at a deal or secondhand. The Microtec is more expensive as a standalone product but it offers loads more to the end user and keeps all the current options such as switchable maps and Traction control. It also offers Launch control, quick shifter inputs and proper fuel and ignition transients.

People are free to choose whichever product they like but i seem to see lots of people trying to get Microtec results for PCIII money, alas this rarely happens unless i have a secondhand unit available.

As i said horses for courses. But if this helps put my case forward where possible i have offered people a try before you buy test, i have yet to have anyone say "nah not for me" I have had a few people demand i leave it fitted and also ask if i accept a credit card there and then even with just a close base map installed.

:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
dosnt the pc5 do ignition changes as well?.....how much is the unit you fit?.im asking these questions as my bike is off to dynojet uk soon for a pc5 and qs.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
dosnt the pc5 do ignition changes as well?.....how much is the unit you fit?.im asking these questions as my bike is off to dynojet uk soon for a pc5 and qs.
Nope a PC5 only offers fuel interception, unless you get the ignition module which i'm not sure is available for the MV and you'll not get that full adjustment unless you fit the Mv Corse ecu to switch off the lambda sensor.

How are they fitting the Qs? are you fitting rearsets?

The microtec isn't cheap but it solves everything in one hit. To get the same level of adjustment with aftermarket intercepting deivces you'd need the following.

Mv Corse ECU
fuel interception device
ignition interception device
QS controller (possibly)

And even those aren't dealing with the source mapping they are manipulating the std map via altering the signal.

You won't have transient controls, well apart from the "accelerator pump" feature which is a global adjustment to the entire rev range and throttle positions.

I'll PM the price to avoid turning this thread into a market place :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
cheers.there fitting the qs whilst designing/building the power commander for the 10/11 1090rr.i gather they just triangulate off the shift lever.dynojet uk have said it can be all done but theres no kit avaliable yet.there having my bike to design it all on.

·
Registered
871 Posts
http://www.evolutionbike.it/mvagustastore/index.php/rreu00.html This is the lowest price on the globe for a race ecu. I've searched everywhere. Even straight from MV it is in the $460ish range. This price is about $100 less and I verified the factory part #, same thing. For those of us that bought the PC V out of a need to save cash, or not enough research, and can't afford to "bin it", this and the pc V and a trip to a good dyno will get you awful damn close. After those 3 costs, ($331 for pc V, $360 for ecu, $300 for dyno/tune) yes, you have hit the $1k for a microtech plug and play.
To do the pc V and get any improvement, you have to do the ecu, sucks but is a fact. and you have to dyno it.
So, is Microtec better out of the box? yes, are there other options if you are past the point of no return? Yes. is one way ultimately any more cost effective than the other? No.

I will post dyno results before tune and after, wish I could have done a stock run. Current set up before Dyno, 1078, PC V, MV Race ecu, Full MV Race exhaust, race air filter. Then you can see what you get from a dyno tune. I assume there is info out there from a 1078 w a microtec and a similar set up. Would like to see that.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you had a Ducati and did this, their stock ecu does not let the pc V touch the bottom 40% of the throttle and their race ecu to let the whole thing be tuned is $1600. So at least there is that. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I rode a 910R before buying my 1090RR and couldn't have lived with the 910R fueling , seat or suspension . I spoke to Chris regarding getting what i wanted out of the 910 and at what cost and decided to take advantage of the 0% finance and get the 1090.

I have now done nearly 6K miles on the stock 1090 in 18months so it can;t be that bad , however i do think the fueling could be better particularly around 4.5-5.5K.

This bike will definatley (maybe ) be the last performance bike i buy and hope i can one day make it absolutly perfect .

Maybe the Microtec is the only way ??

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have only seen and read everything about the 1090, never rode so I can't say how it compares to the 1078, I do know by the #'s, it is 10lbs heavier and has 10 less hp, this would result in a bit less of the Brutale, "I'm going to kick your ass if you look at me wrong" fueling. Mine has exactly the same flat spot at exactly the same spot. If you want perfect, better add the cost of a system to that microtech. Then yes, it will be perfect. A full 2-can system gives you the back pressure needed for great low end performance most look for. The shorty loud "race" set-ups have no resistance and are full open and allow for the top end gains guys look for on the track. I went with the Full MV Race set-up w the 2 cans.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have only seen and read everything about the 1090, never rode so I can't say how it compares to the 1078, I do know by the #'s, it is 10lbs heavier and has 10 less hp, this would result in a bit less of the Brutale, "I'm going to kick your ass if you look at me wrong" fueling. Mine has exactly the same flat spot at exactly the same spot. If you want perfect, better add the cost of a system to that microtech. Then yes, it will be perfect. A full 2-can system gives you the back pressure needed for great low end performance most look for. The shorty loud "race" set-ups have no resistance and are full open and allow for the top end gains guys look for on the track. I went with the Full MV Race set-up w the 2 cans.

The 1078 Brutale is more powerful than the 1090 in every way.

I've mapped a few 1078's and they all come out at around 127bhp before fitting an ECU and 141bhp after ECU swap and mapping.

The 1090 is a similar starting point but only 135ish when finished. There is less of a top end rush on the 1090 than with the 1078. which kind of makes me laugh wih the release and hype of the new 2012 1090. The base engine is the 312RR motor with (i'm guessing) very soft cams and smaller valves.

They can fit any number of cams from any number of evolutions of MV over the years to that engine and "find" silly increases in performance but if they went all out they could build a 180bhp monster and still be in virtually standard trim.

In all honesty i can make a totally standard bike perfrom and behave better than a bike with any variation of end can and piggy back mapping devices.

I will populate my new sub forum bit with some more detailed info to hopefully help people do further research by themselves and avoid making mistakes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually got used to the way the throttle is just off idle, however I then bought a CB1300 and when getting back on the MV I found it hard work, if you keep out of town and ride it quick no issues, I do like things spot on and so the fueling was the only real issue I had with this bike, after 200 miles in the saddle it was noticeable to me, of course it's a matter of personal preferences. A nice power gain is always nice to have with a mod that addresses the main issue and so has added value.

What I have never seen before is a plot of power against time, for me this is what really matters, basically the bike is making ~20% more power after a 4 second window has elapsed, far more impressive than absolute numbers?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts