MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sorry mate I know it is up setting quite a few of us have been there. It is fixable with some effort, half measures won't last long. Have you got some high quality exhaust wrap on?

No offence intended but your shielding is not good( I know from experience). Use sheets not little pieces. Start further away and seal the edges. Extend it as far as you can in the worst area's.
I have included pis of what I have done. Sorry I have not got a pic of my mid panel but you get the idea.

I have used that stuff you using it's 'only ok' if sealed and I would use 2 layers. The layers come apart if you don't seal the edges and I can see from your pics that some of the top foil layer is missing in places. You have several gaps which will be exploited by the heat, the adhesive of the shields likes to fail, don't help it. That stuff just isn't tough enough in the worse area's which is why I now only use it else where.
I plasma ceramic coated my front-mid pipes, exhaust wrap is a much cheaper option, fit it neatly properly over lapped. Watch where you put the clamps, keep them away from the plastic.

Do you have a manual fan switch fitted? The exhaust pipe temps can increase by as much as 200C where they melt stuff if you let the engine temp climb from 75C to 105C. I hit my LED lit(so you remember it's on) fan switch before I even start slowing down for the traffic lights, 30mph and even 40mph limits(depends on how hot the weather is).

If you want more detail on idea's see this post: #4,755 and here: How to bring temp. down Pt.3- exhaust mod/Ceramic coating
There other threads on what folks have done, if you want try a search.

The measures I have taken have worked perfectly, the shielding looks as good as when I fitted it. there are no scorch marks in the shields, or any browning of the paint.
The extra measures like the race water pump, samco hoses are not that important, my bike is typically running 5C cooler than it was, but it's the exhaust wrap, fan switch and really well done shielding that will fix it for you.

If your bike is early and still has the retarded timing it will run hotter than it needs to, see merc07 he should be able to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh shielding wont really help here - it literally was touching the headers when it melted. Need to header wrap that portion and space it out a bunch - my hunch is someone "repaired" the belly pan and it now sits much closer to the headers than intended.

I've got header wrap from under the oil pan all the way back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yupp thats exactly my plan - add header wrap to the pipes and fab up a billet spacer bracket to keep the fairings away from em

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hey pmalik and ogrilp400, post a few pics when you have done it, that way it may help others in your spot.

Never heard of the pipes touching the bodywork before, that's a repair or something gone very awry, should be at least a 10mm gap at the closest point. None of the fairing mount brackets are bent are they? Are the pipes undamaged and standard and fitted correctly?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ended up drilling the aluminum bracket through and adding a carbon fiber plate to eliminate any heat transfer, I'll grab some more pics next time I've got the fairings off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your bike is early and still has the retarded timing it will run hotter than it needs to, see merc07 he should be able to help.
Curious about that one - the bike is an early 750, gonna see what the eeprom is on there. Came with a power commander that I took off already.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You know I don't actually know what Eprom is in my Bessy. It came with a PCIII and Sil pipes. If my Bessy does still have the retarded timing it should probably be left in because I have noticed after fitting a Design Corse water pump, having my pipes Plasma Ceramic coated and fitting a Samco hose kit that she is typically running 5C cooler than before and she may start to run too cool with further modification?

pmalik, I liked the detail you made adding a carbon fiber plate to eliminate any heat transfer. I'd like to see the end bracket and how you mount it. That wrap should do the trick.
Is your oil level a little high or is that just the angle of the pic or perhaps the bike is on a rear paddock stand?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Nicely done. How does the fairing fit now, fine? Did you see any evidence of a previous poor repair to that mid panel? Just curios as to your problem of needing the spacer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey pmalik and ogrilp400, post a few pics when you have done it, that way it may help others in your spot.

Never heard of the pipes touching the bodywork before, that's a repair or something gone very awry, should be at least a 10mm gap at the closest point. None of the fairing mount brackets are bent are they? Are the pipes undamaged and standard and fitted correctly?
IMG_3176[1].JPG
IMG_3178[1].JPG

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi ogrilp400, Do you have anything you can put on the those metal strips to stop heat transfer?
There is a layer of exhaust wrap on the pipes first. Then the stand offs' are clamped over that wrap. A second layer of exhaust wrap then goes on. The stand offs get only just warm. Also there is another layer of heat shieldiing in the fairing that the stand offs press against.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts