MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
please remember us in the US that are on a time delay. If you are going to post race results right after they happen just put SPOILER in your topic first please.

thanks

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I guess the cat's already out of the bag, so I want to say something here.

I've always been a big Toni Elias fan from when he was riding 250s. He always seemed to not have the silver spoon syndrome, he always had to work so hard for everything and he would speak his mind. A clean rider on the track when a lot of his rivals weren't.

He's one of my favorites and it pained me to see that he didn't pick up the big bikes like other recent 250 riders did, Katoh, Melandri, Pedrosa, etc.

Kinda pissed at the result because I have never liked Pedrosa, but holy cow. What a day for Toni.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I am quite a big Rossi fan, I was hoping Nicky would have a DNF, but when it happened I felt so sorry for him, he really did not deserve anything like that, I feel this last weekend he showed he was up to fisty cuffs with No46, and he gained a lot of respect in my eyes, I do feel gennuine sorrow for him :bawling:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
mikef4uk said:
I am quite a big Rossi fan, I was hoping Nicky would have a DNF, but when it happened I felt so sorry for him, he really did not deserve anything like that, I feel this last weekend he showed he was up to fisty cuffs with No46, and he gained a lot of respect in my eyes, I do feel gennuine sorrow for him :bawling:

Exactly.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Watched the race. Pedrosa made a big mistake, but this happens in racing. I think Nicky has a right to be quite annoyed, and maybe the Repsol team should reconsider their "no team orders" rule. Although I'm guessing they have a "no taking out your teammate rule" in place already...

Toni was riding like a madman, looking like he did when he was winning in 250s. I'm a fan, always have been. I've got some colleagues in Spain who I've gotta give some shit to because they made fun of me for being an Elias fan... Heh.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Rossi has been my favorite "Euro" for some time, watched him since the 125s. Hayden has been my favorite "Yankee" for years, I have travelled just to see him ride. I was really looking forward to a battle to the end, but appearently Pedrosa's selfish intentions got in the way. No respect, what a bum deal. I would let the air out of Pedrosa's tires before the Valencia start if I were Nicky.

BTW, not to harp, but I LIVE to watch MotoGP. We ALL need to respect that there are those on this board that can't see the race until Sunday, and on somedays, not until SUNDAY NIGHT. Just a friendly reminder, race results make lousy thread names...THANK YOU!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
571 Posts
That's why you need to win races and not just be consistent!

Hayden only has two wins on the season..... if he had more, he might have been able to afford a DNF!

Rossi has 3 DNF's and a crash(courtesy of Elias - Jerez), but because he has 5 wins, he's still right there!

Hayden has benefitted from everyone's misfortunes this year(Capirossi, Melandri, Gibernau, and dont' forget Edwards in Assen). It was bound to catch up to him.

This isn't Superbike so consistency won't win you a championship, race wins is the only way to get a championship at this level..... he can be pissed off at Pedrosa all he wants, but he should blame himself. He's been given the championship and still managed to cough it up.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Vlad Drac said:
This isn't Superbike so consistency won't win you a championship, race wins is the only way to get a championship at this level..... he can be pissed off at Pedrosa all he wants, but he should blame himself. He's been given the championship and still managed to cough it up.
I don't disagree at all. My only contention is that when you ARE leading the points in ANY form of racing, the ONE THING you should be able to count on is your own team mate NOT torpedoing you on LAP 4 of the race. I have watched and rewatched the sequence several times today, Pedrosa had NO CHANCE of making that turn at his clip on that line, and all he had to do was give his mate his line. IMO, unforgiveable. Should be a chilly next two years in the Repsol hauler. Frankly, they are both lucky neither of them got hurt.

Now they can both watch as Rossi parades around Valencia on his way to another world championship.

Griff
twoeleven

A

·
0 Posts
i fully agrree ., .
hayden has benefitted too much from others misfortunes
butt hey i still think he i a great guy
and also nomal
as evidence of his gestures when he came down

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm happy for Rossi, but Pedrosa made a BIG mistake and I'm sorry for Nicky: I'd preferred to see the whole race with Nicky figthting with Rossi rather than this.

Here they said that Nicky and Dani are not "soft" to each other on track...so...it's was a "promised" move.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The irony is that NH now needs Pedrosa in order to win the championship - Nicky has to win at Valencia with Pedrosa second and VR third to win by one point - you never know VR may have another dnf! - or maybe Pedrosa could torpedo VR! I think Pedrosa's move will go down in the historybooks as the stupidest, most boneheaded idiotic and completely dumb move ever - what was he thinking??

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Interesting point, and one worth pondering. I do like to think up odd stuff related to possibilities in racing. HRC COULD punish Pedrosa as a show that they have their own house in order in some regard, which would be a gesture toward the FIM regarding their complete mis-handling of the Rossi passing under yellow incident. Which is abundantly relevant at this point in time.

I would love to see this happen, and then see Honda exert their influence over the other teams (althogh Gresini is the only one that has a shot at wins) to then have them help Nicky win. Although, that's a pipe dream because that would be HRC admitting they need team orders after all, but how cool would that be?

Problem with that is that Melandri is somewhat of a loose cannon and probably wants Rossi to win more than Nicky anyway, and I'm not sure we can rely on Toni Elias to run at the same pace as the leaders. Although we are headed to Spain and Valencia was Elias territory on the 250s...

I'm not really going to agree that Nicky hasn't done what he needs to do to win the championship. Sure he has, he was leading it wasn't he? It doesn't say anywhere that in order to be a "proper" champion one must win races and be flamboyant or whatever. You win the championship by gaining points, period. I know fans don't like to see championship winners that don't win a lot of races, but tough, there's no way to control that.

And my next question to the Nicky objectors is, what else would one expect if Rossi wasn't the one to win? He's the only one out there capable of stamping authority on the whole thing. Who else is? Nobody. So by nature you're going to get a champion who is fast, consistent, and might throw a win in once or twice. If it wasn't Nicky, it would have been someone else doing the same thing.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
acruhl
very nicely put, very well thought out
however........
nah just kidding

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Thanks Greg, you're helping me to believe it too, heh.

I do agree that if Nicky was faster and won more races he would be in a better position, but then again, wouldn't all of the other guys yet again be in that same boat as well if they had won more races?

You don't become the points leader by accident at the end of the year. At the beginning, sure, it can happen. At the end, it means you're doing something right and/or others are doing something wrong.

I think Nicky is underrated. Gibernau was nobody for years until he started getting enough speed to beat Rossi. And he came close to winning the title. There is too much expectation for someone to just jump on the scene and beat Rossi.

A

·
0 Posts
ahh the Giberanu saga
what had hope for him, faded into the distance, and today he struggles
i sure hope that is doesnt happen to nikki, and he is just having a good year.
Nikki, good guy, Sete was once a good rider, but spent all his efforts mouthing off, at least nikki has a good head on his shoulder
I think that Sete, should of learnt a lesson from Max, never bite the hand that feeds you, and never make harsh comments to your fellow riders

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
acruhl said:
Interesting point, and one worth pondering. I do like to think up odd stuff related to possibilities in racing. HRC COULD punish Pedrosa as a show that they have their own house in order in some regard, which would be a gesture toward the FIM regarding their complete mis-handling of the Rossi passing under yellow incident. Which is abundantly relevant at this point in time.

I would love to see this happen, and then see Honda exert their influence over the other teams (althogh Gresini is the only one that has a shot at wins) to then have them help Nicky win. Although, that's a pipe dream because that would be HRC admitting they need team orders after all, but how cool would that be?

Problem with that is that Melandri is somewhat of a loose cannon and probably wants Rossi to win more than Nicky anyway, and I'm not sure we can rely on Toni Elias to run at the same pace as the leaders. Although we are headed to Spain and Valencia was Elias territory on the 250s...

I'm not really going to agree that Nicky hasn't done what he needs to do to win the championship. Sure he has, he was leading it wasn't he? It doesn't say anywhere that in order to be a "proper" champion one must win races and be flamboyant or whatever. You win the championship by gaining points, period. I know fans don't like to see championship winners that don't win a lot of races, but tough, there's no way to control that.

And my next question to the Nicky objectors is, what else would one expect if Rossi wasn't the one to win? He's the only one out there capable of stamping authority on the whole thing. Who else is? Nobody. So by nature you're going to get a champion who is fast, consistent, and might throw a win in once or twice. If it wasn't Nicky, it would have been someone else doing the same thing.
+100,000,000,000,000,000,000...Acruhl for President!!! You should be a writer, man, that was beautiful.

I know NH could still win, it is just going to take some freaky weird luck. The one thing I love about Rossi is he HATES to win by misfortune. He has stated that before in his interviews. He is a true champion, and a class act for the sport. He respects the fans of GP, and ALWAYS seems to enjoy a great battle, and putting on one helluva show.

I wouldn't really care WHO wins between the two, I just wanted to see a wire to wire battle that gave either the chance to win straight up.

Well, to some extent that is true, but I like to go to bed at night believing that deep down inside, Rossi would rather NOT of had Hayden on the ground. Regardless, I will be GLUED to my set for Valencia.

Enjoy the race, all!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts