MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm after some lightweight racing type gloves with the longer wrist length (if you know what I mean) that fits over the arms of my leathers without draughts. Anyone got any ideas/recommendations/suggestions please? :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
... how about some brand new Dainese RR for $19.95???? :stickpoke

http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=APPGDRR

Dainese gloves run very small. I have medium hands, but take large in Dainese. So, the gloves above are 2xl which means large to x-l gloves.

You can also take a look at their IXS gloves. I'm sure they'll give you 50% off if you ask for it, since they are discontnuing their leather...

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
My all time favorite is the Dainese T-Age gloves (m.i. Italy), absolutely beautiful, well constructed, protective and comfortable... too bad they are discontinued... the new Dainese gloves like the speed metal are just not as the same quality(m.i. Thailand).

Also using Kushitani GPR4, great gloves too, no hard armor just pads though.

BTW, have you guys noticed the AXO gloves Capirossi wears? the pair that looked like boxing gloves because of the padding on the back of the hand? I wonder if that is an one-off pair made just for him because I don't see those on AXO site...

·
Registered
479 Posts
john said:
I'm after some lightweight racing type gloves with the longer wrist length (if you know what I mean) that fits over the arms of my leathers without draughts. Anyone got any ideas/recommendations/suggestions please? :)
Held Galaxy.

http://www.newenough.com/held_galaxy_glove_page.htm

Great scaphoid protection, I haven't seen any that are better.

I've seen a bunch of teknic failures I blame on the glove, so I don't use them anymore.

A racer friend and I argued about this for years (I told him his gloves were made out of ratskin) until a blow out cost him some rash.

He now actually has Helimot custom gloves.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Crash tested..

Alpinestars,, GP plus... had a get off at the track two years ago at 70+ and they were impecable. So good so that I can still use my middle finger riding on the street while watching another car weaving with a cell phone stuck to their ear.. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
odonata said:
My all time favorite is the Dainese T-Age gloves (m.i. Italy)... the new Dainese gloves like the speed metal are just not as the same quality(m.i. Thailand).

Also using Kushitani GPR4, great gloves too, no hard armor just pads.

I also wore T-age until the thumb blew out in an 8hour monsoon ride in the Colorado rockies.

Look at the Sidi Penta. I'm much happier with them than my T-age's and that's saying something. Pentas are made in Italy and have updated protection over what was around in the Tage era. Would have been Kushitani if not the Pentas - GPR5 look very good. It seems to me that a greater understanding of hard vs soft vs abrasion protection is coming of age and Kushitani are at the leading edge.

I used to be a Held fan...

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
JamesC said:
I also wore T-age until the thumb blew out in an 8hour monsoon ride in the Colorado rockies.

Look at the Sidi Penta. I'm much happier with them than my T-age's and that's saying something. Pentas are made in Italy and have updated protection over what was around in the Tage era. Would have been Kushitani if not the Pentas - GPR5 look very good. It seems to me that a greater understanding of hard vs soft vs abrasion protection is coming of age and Kushitani are at the leading edge.

I used to be a Held fan...
And why isn't this in you FAQ? :toothless

·
Registered
474 Posts
zoom2bemv said:
Alpinestars,, GP plus... had a get off at the track two years ago at 70+ and they were impecable.
I've a pair of these as well and the are a semi gaunlet, so good weather protection. A fair bit of the colour has washed out from being wet so many times. I hate wet weather gloves.

Those US$20 Dainese gloves are pretty okd aren't they. Pretty thin and useless is what I recall of them when they were current. But any gloves is better than none. :blah:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
how long do a pair of gloves usually last for you guys/gals? (are there any gals here?)

i ask because my a-star gp plus seem to wear out in about 1 year - but that's a lot of riding.

or are these gloves wearing out fast on me? btw, i had a get-off at willow springs (turn 1) and the a-stars did a wonderful job. no hand/wrist injuries from the crash...

alex

·
Registered
479 Posts
My Helds went through about a season and a quarter of racing in 2001-2002. Sat in a drawer for almost 4 years, and are now still great. The leather is soft, and the feel as good as ever. I think part of this is the Kangaroo over the cowhide.

I've seen tecknics with holes in them in a year without going pavement surfing. Mine had stitching coming apart in 6 mos which was why I bought the helds.

The Kushitani gloves are also real nice, and I know several racers who've tried many brands and swear by them. But I'm still not a believer that hard armor isn't what you want over your scaphoid and knuckles.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
It seems to me that a greater understanding of hard vs soft vs abrasion protection is coming of age and Kushitani are at the leading edge.
I am not sure which is better in the hard vs. soft protection... from personal experience I think for the street, hard armor (suits and gloves) is a good thing as long as there is a bit of soft padding behind it, since there are a lot of sharper corner and things on the street and the hard armor will help spread the force better... just my 2 cents.

I have heard people say that the CF protector can shatter hit hard enough, but have never seen or heard of such failure, and I would imagine if you hit your hand in a crash so hard that a relatively small piece of CF on the glove shatters, perhaps that's the least of your worries...

Here is the reply to my questions about gloves on another forum :

You're not likley to find any better than these, or more expensive at about $500/pair:

http://www.bksleather.co.uk/gloves.htm

I like the looks of the new Spidi Penta gloves as well, they look pretty good on paper:

http://www.motonation.com/item.asp?cid=35&scid=160&pid=327&rdir=1

The new Teknic Speedstar gloves seem well thought-out as well:

http://www.teknicgear.com/catalog.php?styleid=1&pid=17

The Clover RS3 gloves look really nice, and are fairly exclusive:

http://www.cbraceapparel.com/clover/rs3_glove.htm

I'm also intrigued by the stitching techniques on the Lee Parks gloves, but they don't include any
armor:

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/

check them out...

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
JamesC, I agree with you that the T-Age is not the most long lasting, durable gloves... they are my first pair and I have always been kinda partial to them for the style, comfort(pefect fit and beautifully contoured CF armor for the back of the hand in real life riding position/angle), and fine leather work... and also because the CF armor protected my hand and fingers from the sheet metal car door edge and the clapsing brake lever @ 5-7 mph when a guy opened his door on the freeway to spit... :cussing: the gloves were not damaged, just a scratch mark on the knuckle armor.

FYI the gloves is still in service occasionally (3&1/2 years now), it was my only pair for 20 month and during that time I commuted 17,000 miles with them. I have repaired the finger tips a few times at the seams. I find that the velcro closure is very hard on the leather at the finger tips(thumb and index finger) of gloves when you putting on and taking off gloves, I believe that was the reason why those seams were wearing out... so I have sewn on pull-taps on the velcro straps of all my gloves and it helped the longevity of the leather.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
luvtolean said:
He now actually has Helimot custom gloves.
I know Helmut since he was still operating out of that old gas station on Old Oakland Road. He introduced me to my very first Held gloves, that was some 14 years ago. Since Helmut dropped Held due to their philosophical differences, I have kept an eye on his deerskin gloves. The first version was subpar but the lattest version supposes to be much improved. I will give him a call.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
On the issue of longevity, I had 3 pairs of Held gloves (2 Profi and 1 Galaxy), 2 pairs of Teknic gloves (Lighting Pro and Violator) for the past 6 years. The 2 Held Profi were great for 3 years until I destroyed 1 in crash at BeaveRun, PA and within a few months destroyed the second at VIR, VA. I replaced them with the Galaxy (2003). I crushed a pinky knuckle on the right glove during a 130mph highside at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, NV in 2004 but didn't sustained any hand injury due the underlying high-density foam. I have my Teknic Lightning since mid 2004. I like it due to its soft palm that gives good feel. I use this gloves more than most and to date, they show very little wear. Before the 2005 race season started, I updated my Teknic with a set of Violator. Compare to the Lightning Pro, they are a much improved design. So far, none of my gloves popped any seam or has hole in the leather. Maybe it has something to do with the upkeep where I clean and condition my gloves once every few months. :guitarist

Teknic Violator...

Teknic Lightning Pro...

Held Galaxy...

·
Registered
479 Posts
ARCHILLE said:
Since Helmut dropped Held due to their philosophical differences, I have kept an eye on his deerskin gloves. The first version was subpar but the lattest version supposes to be much improved. I will give him a call.
My friend is not particularly happy with them.

They don't fit right, too tight.

I like Helmut, and his suits protect well and are all bling bling too...but he charges quite a bit for his work.

Next time I'm in SJ I need to drop in and grab a set of pucks though...and maybe another set of outers for my Daytonas. The yellow isn't going to match my new Zooni leathers. Of course if I get new boot outers and new leathers...of course I'm going to crash next time I go riding. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts