MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pls recommend a good pair of gloves. I was thinking of the MV Agusta gloves but have not heard of any feedbacks on that gloves.

First priority is comfort, waterproof, washable, etc

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sounds like you're looking for an all weather glove. I can tell you from experience if you're looking for race style gloves to go for the HELD PHANTOM gloves. Best gloves for safety I've ever seen. As far as a washable waterproof glove, I say keep the MV in the garage when it's raining! :)

Let us know what you pick.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Sounds like you're looking for an all weather glove. I can tell you from experience if you're looking for race style gloves to go for the HELD PHANTOM gloves. Best gloves for safety I've ever seen. As far as a washable waterproof glove, I say keep the MV in the garage when it's raining! :)

Let us know what you pick.

I have the Held Phantoms, they are great.

But not waterproof. There are Held Akira Tex 2 that are waterproof and similar to the Phantom. Shameless plug: I have a pair for sale in the For Sale section. :) 1/2 size too small for me.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I haven't seen Held phantoms but for my money Kushitani are the best quality glove...much better than Alpinestars IMO and even the Dainese speed knuckle.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My next gloves WILL NOT have hard plastic or CF knuckle protection.

During my track misshap, I landed on my hand and the knuckle protection dug into my hand (sharp edge) most likely breaking my 5th metacarpel bone in my hand.

I have heard this from others before.
I'm looking at gloves with foam padding for fingers and knuckles.
Hand injuries really suck.

Look for protection first, looks last!

The gloves were Held Akira BTW.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My next gloves WILL NOT have hard plastic or CF knuckle protection.

During my track misshap, I landed on my hand and the knuckle protection dug into my hand (sharp edge) most likely breaking my 5th metacarpel bone in my hand.

I have heard this from others before.
I'm looking at gloves with foam padding for fingers and knuckles.
Hand injuries really suck.

Look for protection first, looks last!

The gloves were Held Akira BTW.
So what is ur next gloves going to be ?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I thought my Helds were great gloves untill I actually tested them. Unless you actually see them after a get off, all anyone is telling you about them is how they feel and look.

I don't like the rivets on my Helds on the palm. Some tell me they get snagged on things and rip out. Others say they get red hot if you slide on them and burn your palm.

Helimot makes a nice looking dearskin glove with padding, not hard Knuckle protection.
Held also has a race glove without the hard knuckles that I will also look into.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have not crash tested them but the two gloves I use the most are a pair of Technics top of the line road race glove and Spidi's new totally vented road race glove.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I thought my Helds were great gloves untill I actually tested them. Unless you actually see them after a get off, all anyone is telling you about them is how they feel and look.

I don't like the rivets on my Helds on the palm. Some tell me they get snagged on things and rip out. Others say they get red hot if you slide on them and burn your palm.

Helimot makes a nice looking dearskin glove with padding, not hard Knuckle protection.
Held also has a race glove without the hard knuckles that I will also look into.
You must have really bad luck with your Held gloves, John. FWIW, I crashed in plenty of Held gloves, some with high-density foam and some with CF for knuckle protection, and came out OK. I knuckle-punched the pavement with my Held Galaxy and Teknic Speedstar gloves with enough force to cave the ring and pinkie portion of the CF knuckle in. I used to be a big fan of the Held brand when Helimot was their US importer.

When buying, go for the top of the line stuffs. It's usually the safe bet. BTW, mentally train yourself to pull your arms together and fold them across your chest when you crash. It isn't as hard as it sounds. Most GP riders trained themselves to do this during the reign of the vicious 500cc smokers. Our digits and limbs are too fragile during a crash. Preparation is always key. :)

As far as water-proofing my gloves, I usually carry an oversized pair of latex gloves on the bike and in my jacket. I would put these over my favorite riding gloves when it rains.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
On the subject of riveted gloves, I've heard the same stories but I am not so sure though. I would rather have the rivets to slide on and suffer some palm burn rather than having the glove's leather wore through and expose my flesh to the pavement. The glove's leather isn't as thick as the suit's leather. Come to think of it, when you managed to crash at most track in the US, you ended up off in the dirt after a short slide on the blacktop. Few crashed on the straight where you slide on pavement to a stop...Might be a moot point of a debate!!!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
On the subject of riveted gloves, I've heard the same stories but I am not so sure though. I would rather have the rivets to slide on and suffer some palm burn rather than having the glove's leather wore through and expose my flesh to the pavement. The glove's leather isn't as thick as the suit's leather. Come to think of it, when you managed to crash at most track in the US, you ended up off in the dirt after a short slide on the blacktop. Few crashed on the straight where you slide on pavement to a stop...Might be a moot point of a debate!!!

Not sure how accurate this info is but I was told by a glove designer of one of the larger manufacturing companies that it is rare for the palm to take large impacts or extended abuse and that it is the back of the glove that really requires protection which is why they don't give the palm thicker leather or studs.

As I said I don't know how accurate that is but speaking from personal experience I have only had a few road crashes in my younger days (touch wood) and I wrecked the palm of one of the gloves I was wearing, without tearing into my skin...wish I still had the glove to show you guys a picture but I lost it in a move only a few years back.

I also have a freind that was injured by studs in the palm causing a burn (and this guy has only crashed a few times in his life as well) that put him out of action for a while but I can't recall the deatils, I'll be seeing him this week and if I can remeber I'll ask him.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
As a matter of fact, I once crashed on a pair of Held (high-density foam and rivets) where I put my right palm to the ground, trying to stabilize and slow myself down. Without say, there was quite a bit of wear on the rivets and palm leather but I didn't suffer any burn other than some soft tissue damage/tenderness. I forgot exactly what the model was called but it was Held's top of the line before CF knuckle protection became all of the rage. (Come to think of it, it was named after a German superbike rider.)

...however, my personal experience doesn't eliminate the possibility of other having more serious injury. Simon, let us know the details regarding your friend's incident.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts