MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posted in response to Gero who asked about my experience with these on another thread.

Over the past couple of years and four trips to Europe as well as further weekend and day trips in the UK I've experimented with tank bags, namely three from the Givi Tanklock range. None are absolutely perfect but they're all good, issues are minor and no real barrier to functionality, just design differences.

Size is a consideration, both small and larger have their uses. A huge tank-bag for the TV doesn't really work, the clocks would be obscured and lock to lock requires quite a narrow width anyway. What with the pannier option all I really needed was somewhere to store items that are easily accessible, even when astride the bike (road tolls, passport checks, ferry tickets etc.). Having some supplementary space, as I discovered on my first continental trip in 2016, would be handy when staying at the same hotel to enable a day riding without the panniers. At the time I was using the ST602 which only has a 4 litre capacity. On that occasion I was lucky as a friend offered to carry my waterproofs. Next time abroad and with this in mind I purchased the XS307, this worked well and had side pockets that the ST602 (and ST603) lacks. However, the shape (flat base) doesn't suit the fuel tank shape. Enter the ST 603 which I bought at the end of last year and only used for the first time over the last couple of weeks. This suits the TV tank shape as if it were made specifically for the bike, like the XS307, it can expand from about 6-7 litres to a claimed 15 litres. Like the XS307 it neither obscures the instruments or the GPS, I've yet to try it in expanded mode though, and lock to lock of the bars is unhindered.

The XS307 has an inner draw-string closed liner to aid waterproofing beyond the separate cover that came with it. Neither the of the ST models have this feature but possibly given the fact that the zippers on these models are on the side rather than on the top reduces potential ingress of rain/spray. I have used the separate covers on the ST602 and XS307 in torrential rain but have also exposed the bags to lighter rain without and neither have appreciably leaked to the contents within. Significantly the XS307 did allow some moisture in between the outer shell and the inner draw-string liner where some paperwork stashed there got damp.

The two outer side pockets on the XS307 are useful for easy access to passport, toll money/tickets, credit card for fuel as well as a side-stand puck. The ST models, with their mobile phone window, incorporate a securely Velcro attached cover incorporating a zipped pocket. This is quite small but can be used for money, toll ticket and a credit card.

All of these models incorporate a wire port to allow charging a phone etc. from the TV's USB port below the instruments.

ST602

Key fits into recess under the bag, possibly light contact. Wire port can also be seen.

In this image you can see that Tanklock release, to the right of the base, is easily accessible.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
XS307

You can see that I have added a cord to the Tanklock release as, especially with a gloved hand, it's not that easy to reach.
You can clearly see that the shape isn't suited to TV fuel tank.

Light contact with key. Bag fore and aft positioning is adjustable in steps.

Reactions: Fastspy

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ST603

Bigger brother to the ST602 with a taller lid as well as an expanding section.

Additionally a sculptured shape that perfectly matches the TV fuel tank without making contact with the paint.

Key makes contact with a raised rim on the plastic base plate of the bag. I'll be taking a file and/or dremmel to this before my next ride.

Anti theft security of all these tank-bags is questionable. Any attempt to lock them to the bike would easily be defeated by a knife to cut the strap or force to break any plastic drilled to accept a cable. The zippers on the ST models have eyelets to accept a small padlock but this is very much 'security light'. They all have comfortable carrying handles as well as being supplied with a shoulder strap that attached with the plastic D rings.

The Tanklock system is secure, in terms that it engages and is only removable by using the release.

Other similar designs such as from SW Motech are available.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hello Chas,
thank you very much for the detailed description of the tank bags. I appreciate it! It's a pity you can't get the key without taking off your tank bag.

But as you said, you can't have it all.

Happy Easter to you and the hole forum :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a pity you can't get the key without taking off your tank bag.
Once you see how easy it is to remove and replace the bag from the ring you'll appreciate that it's less of an issue than you think it might be.

Reactions: Gero HH

·
Registered
944 Posts
I will need to take some pics of the XS306 (25 liters) and the XS319(3 liters) to complete the picture (will add them at some point in this post).

The XS306 is quite similar to the XS307, but it's bigger, and it does not obstruct the clocks. And the 25 liters are just enough for a two days ride including a sleep bag and the minimal set of equipment (including a few tools and a tire repair set).

The XS319 is very small. Simply said: wallet, phone, tire repair set, sun glasses, half liter bottle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This seat bag for a day trip locks good and is matching...
That is a nice looking one. Buy I also have a bum hip, hard to get a leg over all that, mostly with it on the center stand. Tank bag works better for me.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Posted in response to Gero who asked about my experience with these on another thread.

Over the past couple of years and four trips to Europe as well as further weekend and day trips in the UK I've experimented with tank bags, namely three from the Givi Tanklock range. None are absolutely perfect but they're all good, issues are minor and no real barrier to functionality, just design differences.

Size is a consideration, both small and larger have their uses. A huge tank-bag for the TV doesn't really work, the clocks would be obscured and lock to lock requires quite a narrow width anyway. What with the pannier option all I really needed was somewhere to store items that are easily accessible, even when astride the bike (road tolls, passport checks, ferry tickets etc.). Having some supplementary space, as I discovered on my first continental trip in 2016, would be handy when staying at the same hotel to enable a day riding without the panniers. At the time I was using the ST602 which only has a 4 litre capacity. On that occasion I was lucky as a friend offered to carry my waterproofs. Next time abroad and with this in mind I purchased the XS307, this worked well and had side pockets that the ST602 (and ST603) lacks. However, the shape (flat base) doesn't suit the fuel tank shape. Enter the ST 603 which I bought at the end of last year and only used for the first time over the last couple of weeks. This suits the TV tank shape as if it were made specifically for the bike, like the XS307, it can expand from about 6-7 litres to a claimed 15 litres. Like the XS307 it neither obscures the instruments or the GPS, I've yet to try it in expanded mode though, and lock to lock of the bars is unhindered.

The XS307 has an inner draw-string closed liner to aid waterproofing beyond the separate cover that came with it. Neither the of the ST models have this feature but possibly given the fact that the zippers on these models are on the side rather than on the top reduces potential ingress of rain/spray. I have used the separate covers on the ST602 and XS307 in torrential rain but have also exposed the bags to lighter rain without and neither have appreciably leaked to the contents within. Significantly the XS307 did allow some moisture in between the outer shell and the inner draw-string liner where some paperwork stashed there got damp.

The two outer side pockets on the XS307 are useful for easy access to passport, toll money/tickets, credit card for fuel as well as a side-stand puck. The ST models, with their mobile phone window, incorporate a securely Velcro attached cover incorporating a zipped pocket. This is quite small but can be used for money, toll ticket and a credit card.

All of these models incorporate a wire port to allow charging a phone etc. from the TV's USB port below the instruments.

ST602

Key fits into recess under the bag, possibly light contact. Wire port can also be seen.

In this image you can see that Tanklock release, to the right of the base, is easily accessible.
May I ask which windshield you're using there?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As Gero says, it's the Puig touring screen. Without the extension piece and in the medium tint (Puig call it 'smoke').

There's quite a bit of info on it here, just do a search for Puig in the Turismo sub forum.

For me, at 6',it works far better than the OEM screen. Some prefer the aerofoil but personally I think it goes too far in messing with the aesthetics and for my use the regular version is enough.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Here are my SW Motech and QBag tank bag.
The SW Motech I'm using for community driving. The QBag for a longer trip...

You can lock the tank bag's ...
and both are expandable

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
ST603

Key makes contact with a raised rim on the plastic base plate of the bag. I'll be taking a file and/or dremmel to this before my next ride.
I'm currently considering buying either a ST602 either a ST603, as both XS306 and XS307 are not really practical to find stuff in the compartment with the internal doubling. I noticed that for the ST603, there is 3 possible position for the lock ring. My guess is that it is in the middle position in the case of the picture. Moving it upper may remove the need to dremmel the rim of the plastic base plate, no?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noticed that for the ST603, there is 3 possible position for the lock ring. My guess is that it is in the middle position in the case of the picture. Moving it upper may remove the need to dremmel the rim of the plastic base plate, no?
Something I didn't notice :blush: Thanks for pointing that out.

The adjustments are pretty small compared to those of the XS307 but might make the difference and hopefully not change the bag to tank clearance behind the filler. Will have a look at that over the weekend and report back.

·
Registered
944 Posts
XS319 - 3 liters

Until now, that was what I was using for day route. Content : phone, wallet, puncture kit, and not much more. Bought a ST602 to replace it, as it should allow me at least to add a few things in (such as the power hub and a bottle of water), as the additional liter makes a big difference

·
Registered
944 Posts
ST602 seems to be the good size. I did quick tries to understand what can enter in:

• Phones (I have 2, for some reasons)
  • Microfiber to clean my helmet visor and the windscreen
  • Wallet and bike papers
  • glasses (i'm having lenses when riding, so it is mandatory even if I don't use them) and sun glasses
  • Stop&Go tire plugger kit (it is bigger than the other one I was using before, but it is quite efficient to do a tubeless repair)
  • rain equipment (for the pilot and for the tank bag)
  • half liter bottle of water

Beside this there should be room left for a small air compressor (if removing the CO2 cartridges from the tire plugger kit) and the power hub (I've ordered one). Remaining to do for this season : find a small air compressor (with or without battery).

I'm really impressed with what enter in this small tank bag (which is definitely bigger than the XS319 - which I'm likely to sell)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ST602 seems to be the good size. I did quick tries to understand what can enter in:

• Phones (I have 2, for some reasons)
  • Microfiber to clean my helmet visor and the windscreen
  • Wallet and bike papers
  • glasses (i'm having lenses when riding, so it is mandatory even if I don't use them) and sun glasses
  • Stop&Go tire plugger kit (it is bigger than the other one I was using before, but it is quite efficient to do a tubeless repair)
  • rain equipment (for the pilot and for the tank bag)
  • half liter bottle of water

Beside this there should be room left for a small air compressor (if removing the CO2 cartridges from the tire plugger kit) and the power hub (I've ordered one). Remaining to do for this season : find a small air compressor (with or without battery).

I'm really impressed with what enter in this small tank bag (which is definitely bigger than the XS319 - which I'm likely to sell)
Don't know quite how you managed to fit all that in!? When you say "rain equipment for the pilot" do you mean that you have room for an over-suit? Stop&Go Plugger Kit is great, Have used mine on the car only so far but worked really well.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Don't know quite how you managed to fit all that in!? When you say "rain equipment for the pilot" do you mean that you have room for an over-suit? Stop&Go Plugger Kit is great, Have used mine on the car only so far but worked really well.
Ok. I will do some pictures. Was surprised as well to be able to put all of this in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts