MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is currently back at the dealer's for the first service. I was planning to ride it down there yesterday but when I came to start it up...... Nothing. No lights on the console, nothing at all when the ignition was switched on. Cursing the new alarm/immobiliser I tried several things, checked all the fuses, there is also a magnetic switch (part of the alarm) under the seat which I though might not be making contact. Nope, not a glimmer from any part of the system. In the end I had to concede defeat, rang the dealer and he came up and we rather ignominiously pushed the bike up a ramp into his van.

The chief mechanic rang me this morning. "I've got your bike running." he said. "Was it the alarm" I asked. "No" he replied. "Giuseppe the electrician must have had a particularly nice Chianti with his lunch on the day he soldered the contacts to the ignition your bike. Either that or his favourite football team must have scored a goal whilst he was carrying out the operation. Either way, I've put a little more solder on the joint which should sort the problem out for good"

May be that's why my bike was lighter than the bike in that test report Odonata!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Interesting. I havenet really seen any poorly made connections on my MV. But then, I havent really gone searching for them. My Aprilia, on the other hand... :cussing: ......

Glad to hear the bike is back on the street!

·
Registered
337 Posts
john said:
My bike is currently back at the dealer's for the first service. I was planning to ride it down there yesterday but when I came to start it up...... Nothing. No lights on the console, nothing at all when the ignition was switched on. Cursing the new alarm/immobiliser I tried several things, checked all the fuses, there is also a magnetic switch (part of the alarm) under the seat which I though might not be making contact. Nope, not a glimmer from any part of the system. In the end I had to concede defeat, rang the dealer and he came up and we rather ignominiously pushed the bike up a ramp into his van.

The chief mechanic rang me this morning. "I've got your bike running." he said. "Was it the alarm" I asked. "No" he replied. "Giuseppe the electrician must have had a particularly nice Chianti with his lunch on the day he soldered the contacts to the ignition your bike. Either that or his favourite football team must have scored a goal whilst he was carrying out the operation. Either way, I've put a little more solder on the joint which should sort the problem out for good"

May be that's why my bike was lighter than the bike in that test report Odonata!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
what alarm system r u using?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
solo said:
what alarm system r u using?
Datatool System S4 - C1. As regular readers of my comments know, I don't like alarms, period. I've found that whatever the system used, when a vehicle (car or bike) gets older and the wiring looms are exposed to wind/rain/sun etc. corrosion inevitabley occurs and the systems start to fail, quite often immobilising your machine in awkward circumstances. Having said all that, the failure wasn't due to the alarm, which is, in any case, virtually new. I've only had it fitted about 2 weeks. As far as alarms go, I think the Datatool systems are pretty good. I had the system 3 fitted to my 750 MV, that was never a problem. But I do have my doubts that 3 or 4 years hence about reliability of these products. The Datatool systems are Thatcham approved which certainly helps with insurance quotations here in the UK. Again I have said this before, but most insurers here in Britain will not offer cover on high value machines like MV's without a Thatcham approved alarm system being fitted. If this wasn't the case, I would buy the biggest lock and chain I could find and a Doberman dog with an appetite for bike thieves.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's running :smoking: just fine now!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Similar Issue - Ignition Related

John,

I am having an issue that is directly related to the ignition switch on my Agusta. When I have the key in the 'ON' position I get no rear light and the alternator circuit is not working (so the battery does not charge). I have done extensive testing and found that the only area where this fault could be is the ignition switch, so I removed it and tested it directly. There is no connection across the path that would complete these circuits.

What I am wondering is how your mechanic was able to disassemble the unit to find the bad connection in your ignition; I cannot find an easy way to do this. It looks like the 'nut' (for lack of a better term) is not removable. If you could enlighten me I would very much appreciate it!

Thank you in advance,

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts