MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New MV Owner on a F4 1+1 ..

Trying to lift the rear seat .. i push down the tail and turn the key, where i hear the click and can feel the tail wanting to lift, but it seems to be stuck further towards the mid seat position...

An i missing something .. the manual says something about pulling back the seat unit while lifting ??? which i've tried ...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Don't know. I just picked up my ne F4 the other day and I got the seat open OK on the first try. You do have to finesse it a bit to the rear as you lift, but it should open pretty easily. Can you look under the saddle while trying to lift it to see if maybe something is hanging up?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 1+1. And opening the seat is a pain in the ass...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peet said:
I have a 1+1. And opening the seat is a pain in the ass...

Is there anything special u have to do when trying to lift the seat unit ??

Ie. pull the unit to the back or front etc ...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hb88xx said:
because of the extra pins under the back seat, push it first when turn the key and hear it klick than lift! easypiecy!

Thats exactly what i'm doing ... but it will not lift.. the actual rear part of the unit is free from the pins, coz if you push back down on it , you hear and feel it click/lock back into place....

It seems to get stuck halfway down the seat unit towards the tank..

·
Registered
925 Posts
there are 3 locations, rear catch and 2 in the centre left and right position just under the riders seat, these are pins and if the cables are not adjusted correctly they will remain in the seat unit holes and stop you from lifting, mine was the same but if i wiggled side to side and pushed forwards whilst the key is turned it lifted, if it does adjust and cables to the pins and the rear catch and grease, otherwise it will happen again..........

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
EVO Chris said:
there are 3 locations, rear catch and 2 in the centre left and right position just under the riders seat, these are pins and if the cables are not adjusted correctly they will remain in the seat unit holes and stop you from lifting, mine was the same but if i wiggled side to side and pushed forwards whilst the key is turned it lifted, if it does adjust and cables to the pins and the rear catch and grease, otherwise it will happen again..........
If this the case, you can pull cabels as well near the key entry. AS it is also possible unofficially open it without key.Therefor when alarm fitted you need a switch detecting if opened.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EVO Chris said:

Just had a go.... nope even bloody wiggling it wont free it .... well it should be ready for it 1st service next weekend , so they can fix/look at it then...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
hb88xx said:
because of the extra pins under the back seat, push it first when turn the key and hear it klick than lift! easypiecy!
+1

Also some you might need to push at the back of the pillion seat and others (like mine) toward the font around where the strap is.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hb88xx said:
If this the case, you can pull cabels as well near the key entry. AS it is also possible unofficially open it without key.Therefor when alarm fitted you need a switch detecting if opened.

I'll see if i can see the cables tonight.... thanks...

·
Registered
337 Posts
i had the same problem...made the dealer replace the spring and adjust the spring....it's a pain in the azz! my key kept bending...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It took me so long to figure out how to open my rear seat I began to worry I'd bought a bike with a dubious history, thinking maybe the ignition barrel didn't match the seat lock! I sat there tugging on the wire with pliers and everything. Then I pushed down on it in frustration and it popped up. (Then I read the manual...duh..) Sounds like yours is a little more stubborn though.

Si

·
Registered
200 Posts
spent an hour and a half yesterday, and another hour today trying to open my seat unit! my key is not impressed. A highly frustrating affair, but I finally got it, so let me add my thrupence if it helps:

Put the key in the heyhole but don't use the key to turn it, instead, use your left thumb to push the mechanism clockwise;

Push down, firm, on the middle of the tail section, maybe 6 inches before the pipes. Hold it there while you turn the mechanism with your thumb, as hard as your thumb can manage (wear gloves!)

now pull the seat cowl back and up: by back I mean towards you, not towards the rear of the bike, by up I mean skyward! give it a good wiggle while pushing hard as you can on the mechanism. If you can get someone else to push the mechanism all the better.

hey presto? worked for me anyway!

the pin that holds the seat cowl in place is like an arrow head on the right hand side, but smooth on the left, so it's the right side that holds it in place, hence pushing the cowl to the left - or towards you as you stand on the left of the bike. The key would undoubtedly break if I has used it to lever the pin open with the force it needed. I think the 'arrow head' gets caught in the retaining clip trying to retract and it just needs a lot of manipulating to free it.

Apologies if this is blindingly obvious but it's no fun when you need to get at your battery and it takes two days!

Paul

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a similar but I think slightly different problem - my rear light holder is loose and sometimes prevents the rear from lifting. I end up using my fingers to push it out of the way (and never bother with the key as it's easier to pull the cables.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
it's just an adjustment problem. once it is adjusted right, it's easy as pie. pushing down on the cowl while turning the key helps take tension off the mechanism. that usually does it, but everybody's situation is different. still, it's just an latch adjustment issue.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Same thing used happened on my F4SR - when the pipes were warm, it would not open - and the key bends as it is made of really cheap metal.

Now I notice the F41000R is the same. An MV idosyncracy I could well dispense with!!!

Doc

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the same problem....When turning the key in either direction, you can her the latch unlock but the seat does not come up. Tried everything including pulling the cable from the bottom (for grins) as well as shifitng the seat/tail piece side to side. I think it may be jammed at the locking point below the tailight.

I may try to losen the exhaust bolts to see if I can get to the lock mechanism by hand under the taillight...Not sure what else to do other than take it to the dealership.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts