MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it's raining outside and I was bored so I decided to start stripping some bits off the bike.

I am replacing the standard air filter with WPR's race filters, fitting 520 chain and sprockets
and making a used GSXR tail tidy fit my bike, however since I've had the hacksaw and file
out I have now placed an order on a D3 tail tidy.

Whilst stripped down I will also replace some more bolts with Titanium and a carbon rear
hugger might go on too.

Who knows what else, Gold wheels, some powder coating, we will see.

I took the tank off last night too, what a bitch that was doing it on my own with a full tank
of fuel whilst trying to disconnect the mutli plug and the fuel line.

I still can't decide wether or not to paint the front mudguard and the mirrors red.

You watch the weather get better now

Attachments

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Have to say Dan how different we are, you appear to have as much enjoyment modifying the bike as I have riding it. Very very impressive workshop

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nice garage and I love that floor mat! I now need one for myself!
I know painting the mirrors has been discussed on this forum, but how much do you think is the effort involved? Is it easy to remove the blinkers from the mirror casing? Do you need to sand the plastic surface to smooth the surface texture before spraying primer?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Nice garage and I love that floor mat! I now need one for myself!
I know painting the mirrors has been discussed on this forum, but how much do you think is the effort involved? Is it easy to remove the blinkers from the mirror casing? Do you need to sand the plastic surface to smooth the surface texture before spraying primer?
My mirrors are with a local quality body repairer, the painter also customises motor bikes. They telephone yesterday and advised that they have been able to dismantled the mirrors. I was able to obtain the paint from Motorbike Paint (www.rsbikepaint.com), who by chance are only 5 miles from my home. The paint code is on the USB memory stick, although they say it is the same as the F4
Will refit on Friday, hopefully with a perfect colour match, if so images will be posted.
Cost of the paint £23.00, cost of the painting will be a a personal donation to the painter

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the comments on the workshop guys, I do enjoy working on bikes, I had been reluctant to take the F3 apart as I wanted to get out on it,
the weather has been so awful though and I haven't had oppurtunity to get out for almost weeks.

In the end I thought atleast I can have some fun tinkering, it's a good oppurtunity to get to know the bike and how it's put together too.

Now that it is semi stripped I need to decide how far I go, I really wanted to powder coat the frame side plates and swing arm in gold to match the
ORO,
trouble is looking over the bike it's a big job and defo some serious stripping, I even wonder if it's worth all the work.

I think I'll drop the mirrors off tomorrow but the fender I'll leave as a carbon one may on the cards in the future.

So what about painting the wheels gold, again a lot of work and will easily put the bike off the road for another week.

In it's current state it's a couple of hours to get it back together.

I guess some things will have to be left for the winter months, I need to buy a new chain breaker too, I broke mine doing the last bike

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
thanks for the comments on the workshop guys, I do enjoy working on bikes, I had been reluctant to take the F3 apart as I wanted to get out on it,
the weather has been so awful though and I haven't had oppurtunity to get out for almost weeks.

In the end I thought atleast I can have some fun tinkering, it's a good oppurtunity to get to know the bike and how it's put together too.

Now that it is semi stripped I need to decide how far I go, I really wanted to powder coat the frame side plates and swing arm in gold to match the
ORO,
trouble is looking over the bike it's a big job and defo some serious stripping, I even wonder if it's worth all the work.

I think I'll drop the mirrors off tomorrow but the fender I'll leave as a carbon one may on the cards in the future.

So what about painting the wheels gold, again a lot of work and will easily put the bike off the road for another week.

In it's current state it's a couple of hours to get it back together.

I guess some things will have to be left for the winter months, I need to buy a new chain breaker too, I broke mine doing the last bike
What do you intend to do with the mirrors Dan?
Understand they are not that easy to dismantle, ForzaItalia contact was unable to do it.
I will find out tomorrow as to what is involved, hopefully it will be a perfect colour match. If so, pics to follow

·
Registered
614 Posts
Mine is a lot more naked than yours right now...

Tidy workshop, but it lacks the inappropriate amount of titty posters for my taste. And Zoey Deschanel? o_O

I'll be curious how the bike responds to the airfilters and nothing else. Let us know.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice job there :D guess you had some skill doing it yourself... i would like to but not my F3 as the learning object T_T

keep us updated mate :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to be a vehicle technician so I am pretty handy with the right tools, i'll have a go at anything to be
honest, as long as you are careful and take your time.

Bikes and cars are nuts and bolts. I have rebuilt and converted a few over the years.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you intend to do with the mirrors Dan?
Understand they are not that easy to dismantle, ForzaItalia contact was unable to do it.
I will find out tomorrow as to what is involved, hopefully it will be a perfect colour match. If so, pics to follow
I will remove them from the bike, remove the indicators and will probably just mask up the glass, I did try to prise the mirror glass out but feared they might crack, the thing I noticted is the corner of the spoiler sits really close to the mirror body so you might get a build up
of paint or a dry section underneath, I don't know wether the spoiler is a push fit or it's bolted on, I might try and pull it off later.

They will need keying with some flating paper, prob about 2000 grade
then plastic primer to get adeasion and smooth finish.

I will cover the front spoiler in cabon and I have some nice Corse decals to add too.

Job for next week now, i'll get paint code off USB stick tonight, I'm sure it something like (A) and is called Canyon Red.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Be careful on this one Dan, just collected the mirrors and it was not an easy operation, over three hours in all
Removing the indicator was straight forward, but it was necessary to apply heat to the glass in order to separate it from the pad behind, this was carried out by using a dryer and very very gentle persuasion.
The final finish is top class, hoping that when I get the bike back tomorrow from R&G, it is also a perfect match.
Paint obtained from Motorbike Paint.
Total cost £23.00, plus a reduced rate of £50.00, labour.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some more pics of the bike in a semi stripped state

I'm ordering some more Titanium fasterners tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Very nice Pefect i admire your skills, i too love tinkering with my bike but have to pay someone to do it as i have no real workshop facilities, but in time i want to get a bench etc so i can play, with regards to the frame plates, would it be possible to take the bolts out and mask it up thus not having to totally strip it down? If i ever get a F3 i will be painting these frame plates and the wheels they look soo good painted as i'm not a fan of black on wheels and frames to be its the cheap way out.

Cheers

James

·
Registered
37 Posts
Be careful on this one Dan, just collected the mirrors and it was not an easy operation, over three hours in all
Removing the indicator was straight forward, but it was necessary to apply heat to the glass in order to separate it from the pad behind, this was carried out by using a dryer and very very gentle persuasion.
The final finish is top class, hoping that when I get the bike back tomorrow from R&G, it is also a perfect match.
Paint obtained from Motorbike Paint.
Total cost £23.00, plus a reduced rate of £50.00, labour.
Really nice job there.
I wonder if the F4 mirrors will bolt onto the F3?
I love how the F4 mirrors are painted and have LED blinkers.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Not an easy operation, but well worth it, especially for £73.00.
If you look at a certain angle there is a slight colour variation, similar to colour coded plastic bumpers on cars

1 - 20 of 103 Posts