MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to get a leather suit for some track days and have come across the Gerick Celtic. The reviews on the site are great, and I found some positive reviews on a couple other forums, but want to see if anybody here has first hand experience with the suit. In addition, I am interested in your opinions on the graphics . I know they look a little Power Rangerish, but I dig that they are different than anything else I have seen.

The most important piece of the equation is functionality/safety; I am also trying to include cost in the equation. I know you can't put a price on safety so I am really looking best bang for the buck. Any suit recommendations are welcomed.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3136

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do track days with SportBike Track Time and all the control riders wear the Celtic. I'm sure they would not use the suit if they did not feel protected. Good price too. I actually dig the design. The Black and white is cool.
I have the Tecknic Xcellerator currently.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love my Alpinestars race replica. Best suit I've seen so far.
I agree that the suit is great, but a little beyond my budget, never mind how expensive it will be when my wife divorces me for spending $2,500 on a suit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had an Alpinestar for about 2 weeks and the collar ripped, while putting it on. I never even got to take it riding. Maybe I just got a bad example. I believe it was the MX-1 model.

Needless to say, I went with Teknic Xcellerator. I know it's not as well known, but it has held up to 3 years of track riding and 1 lowside. No rips at all. I just cleaned it up and it looks good as new.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have the blk w/wht. fits great, very comfortable right out of the box. recently did a CSS day and a number of guys there commented about how they liked the suit and that it looked better in person than on the internet. the price is great as well. the graphics are ok for me, def seen worse looking suits out there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried some suits on this weekend and will be going with Dainese Laguna Seca. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
787 Posts
For what its worth... I shared a racing garage with a bloke last year that wore one... He was one of those guys that was pretty fast but not consistent and in the dirt a lot. He went down several times with that suit on and it held up really well. My Hein Gericke held up really well too... a few minor repairs but it worked great and was not too expensive. I think I have gone down in it 4 times. Once at 90,
once while running over a guy,
once attempting to turn in the dirt, haha,
and once at about 130.

Still works! I am a little too big for it now though.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Yep, got a Gericke suit from Sport Bike Track Gear - see my profile pic. Great pricing on a good suit. I think you'll pay a lot more for only somewhat better quality. Other than a zipper tab that broke, it's made it through about 20 track days so far. Crash worthiness hasn't been tested on it yet though.

The only downside - it makes you look a bit too much like a Power Ranger. Especially the yellow suit worn with white boots.
:f4:

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Made to measure is the only way to go!!

Yep, got a Gericke suit from Sport Bike Track Gear - see my profile pic. Great pricing on a good suit. I think you'll pay a lot more for only somewhat better quality. Other than a zipper tab that broke, it's made it through about 20 track days so far. Crash worthiness hasn't been tested on it yet though.

The only downside - it makes you look a bit too much like a Power Ranger. Especially the yellow suit worn with white boots.
:f4:

In my opinion a set of race leathers can only be judged on its performance when you have a "faux pas"!! That's what they are designed to do............protect you from injury that is.

:stickpoke

They need to be properly fitted and tight enough to hold you together in case of fractures, so made to measure is the only way to go the way I see it.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
They need to be properly fitted and tight enough to hold you together in case of fractures, so made to measure is the only way to go the way I see it.
+1.

I've seen too many "affordable" leathers split and burst on contacting the track. Also, imho armour should be soft, not hard. One of my friends suffered a multiple upper arm fracture because the hard shoulder armour impacted the bone when sliding into a wall.

Made to measure, tight fit, top quality. It's your body. If you break something it (the leathers, not the limb in question) usually needs to be cut off though.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Ditto on the alpine star Gear... I ride faster in it. Any good gear will save your butt once.. It looks great.. Pete
+1 on Alpine Star - absolutely love mine plus great value

1 - 15 of 15 Posts