MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot for the life of me find a definitive answer. Do I need the resistors for the LED taillight? I know it will blink much quicker. I have the mod done on my old bike a 2008 Ninja 650r with 70k miles on it, it has had the mod since day 1.

Does it hurt the electronics? Obviously this bike has a LOT more going on under the tank. I do not care about the blink speed. I just do not want to inadvertently fry something because it is messing with things.

Thanks guys!

ps

If it does need them, best place to get them? Preferably US based or without crazy shipping costs that already have the proper harness connectors.

·
Administrator
19,807 Posts
The only thing affected by the rapid flash rate is the relay that creates the intermittent voltage. I suppose it may have a shorter life span, but otherwise no harm.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I would be surprised if a 2018 F3 isn't LED lights so would be surprised if they are needed.

In some countries like Australia if you fit LED indicators to older style motor vehicles you will be booked if you don't correct the flash rate. There are two ways to do this
a. fit in line resistors
b. change the flasher relay to an LED flasher relay.

b is the easiest way IMO and is what I did with my bike. I would suggest fitting the tail light and seeing what happens with the indicator flash rate. If it blinks fast take your flasher relay to the local auto store and get an LED Flasher relay replacement.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The quick flashing definitely bugged me. I found that buying the resistors from Fry's or any electronics part stores then soldering it and sealing it with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing was the best way to go. You can use an Ohm's law calculator to determine what resistance you need. It actually came out to be cheaper than buying the ready to go resistors.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
?

What a useless thread.......this is an International Forum, there are people
On here that speak no English

cccpNyC......the title doesn't help "General LED Q...." use Search on that>:)

htxbrute..... you think posting the resistor values and the tail light brand
MIGHT BE RELEVANT?????

Try to help>:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a useless thread.......this is an International Forum, there are people
On here that speak no English

cccpNyC......the title doesn't help "General LED Q...." use Search on that>:)

htxbrute..... you think posting the resistor values and the tail light brand
MIGHT BE RELEVANT?????

Try to help>:)

I did search for LED. The main question I asked was not found there. Will the higher flash rate in any way damage other electronic components due to the faster flash speed? :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
i did search for led. The main question i asked was not found there. Will the higher flash rate in any way damage other electronic components due to the faster flash speed? :surprise:
no

1 - 7 of 7 Posts