• No

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I have a OEM reverse shift drum new in package. For one reason or another I never installed it on my bike and plan to do so this spring. I am a mechanical engineer and I was considering reverse engineering the NOS part and offering it to the public for sale. It would be Identical design, precision tolerances, material, etc. as the OEM I have wanted to do this for years and life was always a distraction. I have seen the drums sell over the years for crazy money so I know there is a demand. But how much of a demand is there after so many years since the last bike has been produced? I am not looking to get rich, but fill a need. If there is enough interest, I will engineer the part and explore the costs of manufacture. Keep in mind that for this drum to be a reasonable cost for everyone, we need a group buy. The set-up (fixtures, cutters) and CAM programming cost will be amortized in the cost of the part. The more parts equal cheaper cost,

If someone has access to a CNC lathe perhaps we can work together to keep the price down.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
If the price is right. I would take one.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I would be interested. Keep shifting the wrong way after spending too much time on the track bike :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
F4 312r
245 Posts
Why not exactly?
I'm happy with the standard shift pattern first and foremost. If I did want it, I suspect it could be done just as well with a lever/ link combination at a fraction of the cost. Saying that, I shall follow this link with interest.
All the best and I hope you get to do it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'm happy with the standard shift pattern first and foremost. If I did want it, I suspect it could be done just as well with a lever/ link combination at a fraction of the cost. Saying that, I shall follow this link with interest.
All the best and I hope you get to do it.
Depends if you want the stock look or not.

·
Registered
F4 312r
245 Posts
You asked for feedback so you can gauge interest, I gave you feedback, that's all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a set of Lightec rear sets on one of mine to get reverse shift and I’d much prefer the drum and stock rear sets.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I prefer the stock look and have the reverse shift on Mona. I would like to also have it in the senna.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I prefer the stock type pegs with the drum and factory levers with extended toes.

Many of the aftermarket rearsets are works of art but for a track bike etc the drum is the most robust and cheapest option. If I go down I don't have to worry about damaged linkages etc. swap a lever and go.

I expect the price to be under $500. Keep in mind the OEM price was $349 or $389 if I remember correctly. I still have the receipt and I will check. Take rising material and transportation cost, I believe I can get it done as stated above. Otherwise I would go out and buy a set of $600 rearsets. I'll model it in CAD and share some images.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I prefer the stock type pegs with the drum and factory levers with extended toes.

Many of the aftermarket rearsets are works of art but for a track bike etc the drum is the most robust and cheapest option. If I go down I don't have to worry about damaged linkages etc. swap a lever and go.

I expect the price to be under $500. Keep in mind the OEM price was $349 or $389 if I remember correctly. I still have the receipt and I will check. Take rising material and transportation cost, I believe I can get it done as stated above. Otherwise I would go out and buy a set of $600 rearsets. I'll model it in CAD and share some images.
I'd be interested. Fitting rearsets to these bikes to reverse the shift direction doesn't work as nicely as it should from what i've seen. It always changes gear nicer using the proper reverse shift drum plus the rearsets and linkage won't rub on the fiaring which can also happen.

Our plug and play shifter would also still work with this.

Got a few customers that have asked over the years but reckon i coudl take 2 , maybe 3 straight away.

Reasonable price and I’ll take 2. If the Brutale takes the same drum make it 4.
Every gearbox from the 2000 750 throuigh to the 2008 1078 F4 including the brutale is the same with respect to the shift drums from what i can recall. MV never had the budget to be super picky with slightly changing stuff, very modular way of building everythign over the years LOL!

·
Super Moderator
23,725 Posts
I know I'd also be interested in at least one.

I will tell you that, from experience, people will say they want things. You will spend the money and do the work. Then the Promised Purchasers will disappear.

I would recommend getting deposits before getting too deep into your own pockets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I design medical devices for a living so I am well versed in part design as well as the business side. I have wanted to design my own parts for the MV but I have been lazy. I have for my other bikes. I figured why not. I'm just real late to the party.

I'll do some mock-ups to share with folks interested in buying but I agree that I am not cutting a single chip without money up front. I have my drum, I'm doing this more for fun and to help out the community. I was asking to see if there is still a need / desire for the part. For example, I want traction control for my bike but I'm not going to pay money for it. I'll learn better throttle control and save the $1500 bucks.

I didn't want to waste my time modeling the part, selecting the right material and hardness etc if one guy wanted one. The good news is that it sounds like there is genuine interest. Now that interest my dwindle once they have to pay for it, but it's worth my time to develop it. I hoping to keep it cheap. I don't have any overhead etc. and I can use that to help keep cost down.

But the only way to keep this cheap for all is in the end is to do a group buy. Unit cost will driven by the number of pre-paid orders. Hopefully it will all work out in the end. If not, no biggy I wasted a couple of hours.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Would there also be a market for the F3?

·
Vendor
5,611 Posts
Good luck getting money up front for your project.
I had to invest my own money to finance my hubs and made 3 test hubs.
1 for my bike,1 for a race bike and 1 for long distance road mileage.
I waited 6 months,then stripped the hub out of my bike to check for wear etc.
I got reports back for the other 2.
We had to make a couple of slight changes on the CNC lathe and now they are
100% reliable.
All that I am saying is you cannot take peoples money without testing first.
If something goes wrong it will cost you a bucket load of money to replace trashed motors.
In my case if something went wrong I could have killed a rider.
Good luck with the project,I hope it works out for you.
I make hubs as a hobby to help the MV community which you have mentioned also.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts