MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Blokes,
Will in the very near future be having to do a cam chain replacement on mine and my sons 99-00 F4 750s'. Has any one put together a list of parts needed to do this replacement? Obviously chain, cam cover gasket, chain tensioner blades but what else is needed? I need to purchase the parts in readiness.

Thanks, Ken.

·
Old Wing Nut
23,992 Posts
How many miles on your F4s now???
I take it you will be breaking the chain an drawing a new one through with a master link to rivet it together? You will need a proper small gauge cam chain rivet tool.
Other than that, you might want to replace the cam cap socket head bolts with something easier to work with. Have you had those out for valve adjustment in the past?
I would also suggest you get new 12.9 hard bolts and nord-lock washers for the sprocket bolts. The older 750s have rather inadequate bolts that can break (cam stops turning, valves get bent).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on your F4s now???
I take it you will be breaking the chain an drawing a new one through with a master link to rivet it together? You will need a proper small gauge cam chain rivet tool.
Other than that, you might want to replace the cam cap socket head bolts with something easier to work with. Have you had those out for valve adjustment in the past?
I would also suggest you get new 12.9 hard bolts and nord-lock washers for the sprocket bolts. The older 750s have rather inadequate bolts that can break (cam stops turning, valves get bent).
G'day Esq'z me, Mine is at 46,000km, my sons I think is similar. Yes, we will be breaking the chain and pulling the new one through and rivet it. We haven't had the cam caps out as yet. OK, I will get the up rated screws for the cam gears. Ken.

·
Registered
315 Posts
+1 on the cam gear screws and washers. My 2007 F4 had both intake cam sprocket bolts break causing 8 bent valves, a damaged cam lobe and general mayhem. After only 12,000 miles of easy use as well. Be sure to use Red Loctite on the cam sprocket bolts to ensure they don't loosen, even with the washers.

·
Old Wing Nut
23,992 Posts
@ogrilp400 ... I do not think your timing chains and blades will need replacement. Unless your are racing the bikes, then maybe.
The maintenance schedules in the manual are based on worst case scenarios and highest possible loads (racing).
Your valves have never required adjustment, so I doubt your engine has seen much stress.
You can extract the tensioner and see how far it has extended in use. This is a good indicator of chain stretch. A tensioner that is near it end of adjustment would mean the chain needs replacement.

Reactions: N8_990

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ogrilp400 ... I do not think your timing chains and blades will need replacement. Unless your are racing the bikes, then maybe.
The maintenance schedules in the manual are based on worst case scenarios and highest possible loads (racing).
Your valves have never required adjustment, so I doubt your engine has seen much stress.
You can extract the tensioner and see how far it has extended in use. This is a good indicator of chain stretch. A tensioner that is near it end of adjustment would mean the chain needs replacement.
Thanks Esq'z me. I bought my MVs' with very low Ks' and although I ride them regularly, they are only ever ridden in touring style. As some one who at 66yo has spent his life working on motorcycles, cars and military aircraft, I cannot fathom MVs 30,000 km reccomended casm can change interval. It doesn't make sense. A chain running in a very clean, sealed, very well lubricated enviroment should last, 3-4 times, even more than that. Good idea, I will extract the tensioner and look at that before I go delving into the depths of the cam tunnel. Thankyou, Ken.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another good indicator of cam chain wear is to see how the cam sprocket alignment marks line up with the cylinder head gasket surface when the crankshaft timing mark is set on TDC. If the marks are spot on, then the chain wear is minimal.
G'day Eric, Thanks for that advice. I will take yours and Esq'z me's advice and have a good inspection of the chain before I go changing it. Thanks, Ken.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The original silver bodied cam chain tensioners were prone to cracking, an uprated version with a black body became available around 2008-2009 (I think). If you still have the original tensioner the upgrade is a good idea.

Before you extract the tensioner remove the valve cover and wrap some wire around the chain and tensioner blade and tie it to a frame rail to keep the tension on the chain. Otherwise the chain will come off the bottom sprocket and you will loose the valve timing which can be a bit fiddly to reinstate.

HTH.

·
Old Wing Nut
23,992 Posts
Early 1000's had the cam chain tensioner recall.... Bad batch. 750's weren't quite so prone to problems.

Reactions: ogrilp400
1 - 10 of 10 Posts