MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gears binding? (Chain)

Not sure it is the right description but...When i started the bike this morning to go for a ride everything seemed to be ok with startup and then I started to it roll back in neutral and the bike travelled about 1/2 metre and it gave some resistance (which I didn't push). Got off the bike and inspected for any obstruction etc but nothing.

Pulled in the clutch and put in and out of gear (seemed to be still engaged when coming out of gear but didn't stall) but still didn't wan't to roll any more than 1/2m before resistance - repeated in and out of gear and eventually was able to roll back.

Problem didn't reoccur after running for a while.

Clutch adjustment required or something more significant? and why would it stop rollback in neutral?

·
Vendor
5,408 Posts
Steve,very strange mate,there should be no resistance at all in neutral,clutch doesn't come into it,have you put the bike on the rear stand and checked for any binding?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mitch,

Just checked it out again - nothing seems amiss - maybe something was caught on the chain? Can't see any damage to links or cogs or anything though.

Just another thing - I put it up on the rear stand and placed it in gear to run at low speed for a few seconds and the wheel still drives with the clutch in (still in gear) - is that expected? No rotation when in neutral as you would expect.

·
Vendor
5,408 Posts
Steve,the wheel will turn a bit in gear with the clutch in,that's quite normal.I suspect tight spot in your chain.:smoking:

·
Super Moderator
22,636 Posts
As long as there is no rear wheel wobble, then it could be some binding chain linkage. Did you happen to get the same feeling if you pushed the bike forward? Chain loading, and therefore chain tension and alignment will be slightly different when rolling backwards....

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mitchy and silentservice703

I agree think something to do with the chain - just the way it behaved had really nothing to do with gears. btw I couldn't move it forward where I was at the time so couldn't tell if did the same forwards -certainly didn't seem to when I launched :)

cheers

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
kinks?

Renaissance;
is the chain correctly adjusted?
how many miles/kms on the chain and sprockets?
a front sprocket with a little 'hook' in the teeth will bind in reverse with a chain that is starting to get kinks

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You did clear the old beer tins out of the garage didn't you ? ; ))
lol - first thing I thought of - but alas no :friday:

Renaissance;
is the chain correctly adjusted?
how many miles/kms on the chain and sprockets?
a front sprocket with a little 'hook' in the teeth will bind in reverse with a chain that is starting to get kinks
20,000 km but the sprocket and chain doesn't appear to have any uneven, unusual or excessive wear. I did notice a dry patch on the chain i.e. signs of corrosion and this could have been the culprit :blush: but it didn't seem significant enough to provide the resistance felt - maybe being early in the morning everything was amplified :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts