MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

So I have an issue with the gear shift indicator on 1st gear.

When the bike is not running but I turn it on ( not yet engine ) it recognizes first gear, second and any other it would need..

As soon as I start the engine, it shows the first gear as neutral. All the other gears are fine 2,3,4,5,6... 1st gear works, I can drive, but it gives me neutral on screen. Wouldn't be a problem, but I have to do an inspection and bike has to turn off if kickstand is down and you put in 1st gear. As the ECU thinks it's in neutral - nothing happens.

I have changed gear sensor with the cables.. that didn't help the issue.

Could it be some "glitch" in ECU and I might have to reset it? Something else?

The official dealer has no answers to this problem.. and again, I wouldn't care about it too much, but can't do an inspection for the bike.

MV Agusta 800 brutalle 2013.

·
Super Moderator
25,573 Posts
With electrical glitches, some have had success by lifting the NEGATIVE battery lead and letting the bike sit over night. Then reattach the lead.

Reactions: RA26

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With electrical glitches, some have had success by lifting the NEGATIVE battery lead and letting the bike sit over night. Then reattach the lead.
I would assume that the one we have on the side wouldn't work? If I remember correctly it was positive.

Tough job to do as I will have to lift a petrol tank to do that.

I will call the dealer once again in hopes that they can connect it to PC and clear errors if any. But I doubt I can get them to do anything in a reasonable time.

·
Old Wing Nut
24,571 Posts
Removing the main fuse will disconnect the battery ...same as removing the negative cable. Battery is no longer in the electrical system.
I believe on your bike the gear position switch is a variable resistance sending a voltage signal to the ECU, same as a temp sensor or throttle position sensor. You say you replaced the sensor? The sensor is activated on by a contact on the end of the shift drum. Did you make sure that point was clean and in proper condition?
The workshop manual should have a test procedure for the gear position sensor.
Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Removed the main fuse, and will let it sit. It was 30 amp. Somewhere read that it should be 40 amp, but I assume it is for younger gen. I will let it sit for this evening, night, and somewhere in the mid of the day will see if it fixed the issue.

---
The sensor was changed and everything looked alright. I doubt it's the sensor itself, cause it does work correctly when the key is turned on and before I start the bike. It Shows 1st, 2nd gear without any problems. As soon as I start the bike, 1st gear goes N.

So it's either ECU or electricity problems when the bike is running.. have no clue what else could be wrong.

No luck with the official dealer. Didn't even pick my phone today.

·
Super Moderator
25,573 Posts
30 amp appears to be correct for your model....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So... here's an update...

After main fuse was removed for over 24h it didn't help the issue.

Here's what we tried:

• removed the 'sensor' and tested it manually with hands with turned off engine Works perfectly.
  • when 'sensor' is in and engine turned off it works as well. Putting it in 1st gear shows fine.
  • removed the 'sensor' and tested it manually with hands with turned on engine Works perfectly.
  • screwed 'sensor' back in, turning engine on, putting it in 1st gear and.... neutral shows.

what ... the ... f?

So it doesn't look like cable issue as it works fine when moved by hand when 'sensor' removed or works fine when engine is turned off. As soon as you start the engine with 'sensor' in, it doesn't recognize 1st gear..

any ideas? What could make it not recognize 1st gear as soon as the engine it's started but does recognize it when you move 'sensor' manually?

Automotive tire Tire Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Bicycle part Finger Wood Rim

·
Super Moderator
25,573 Posts
I would guess there is minor rotation of the transmission when the engine is running and that puts the sensor out of alignment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would guess there is minor rotation of the transmission when the engine is running and that puts the sensor out of alignment.
I’m also leaning more towards mechanical problem.
I would assume that this mean the only solution would be to open it all and “rebuild”?
Anyone here has an easy hack how to make engine shut off even on N when kickstand is down? Without that can’t make the inspection.
For riding I don’t care if it shows N on 1st gear.

·
Old Wing Nut
24,571 Posts
I wonder if you could elongate the mounting holes for the sensor mounting bolts and then rotate the sensor slightly (it should not take much) so the sensor will see first gear when engine is running?
Perhaps, as Chuck suggested, the shift drum is turning slightly under the loads to the shift fork when the transmission shafts are turning (engine running). So when the drum is under load the 1st gear contact is not quite lining up in the sensor???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi.

So I have an issue with the gear shift indicator on 1st gear.

When the bike is not running but I turn it on ( not yet engine ) it recognizes first gear, second and any other it would need..

As soon as I start the engine, it shows the first gear as neutral. All the other gears are fine 2,3,4,5,6... 1st gear works, I can drive, but it gives me neutral on screen. Wouldn't be a problem, but I have to do an inspection and bike has to turn off if kickstand is down and you put in 1st gear. As the ECU thinks it's in neutral - nothing happens.

I have changed gear sensor with the cables.. that didn't help the issue.

Could it be some "glitch" in ECU and I might have to reset it? Something else?

The official dealer has no answers to this problem.. and again, I wouldn't care about it too much, but can't do an inspection for the bike.

MV Agusta 800 brutalle 2013.
Mine was due to the ECU swap. I put stock one back in and its fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine was due to the ECU swap. I put stock one back in and its fixed.
I don't think it's ECU related.

When I test it manually with the engine running, it works fine. It doesn't work when the sensor is in/installed.

So I don't think it's a ECU issue, but movement in the transmission unless you had same story as me.

I got my bike to the dealer and last news are that ECU is not responding when they connect it. Not sure what's with that. Even with that I doubt it's ECU issue as it wouldn't be working all the time if it would be ECU problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts