MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed a leak below the pinion wheel cover and thought it might just be chain lube (though I am not that liberal with application of chain lube usually). Got the cover off, cleaned everything out. Gave it a few weeks, and just took it off again and it looks like the leak is coming from the great shaft. I have some photos below - where you can just see the oil leak behind the pinion and oil marks fanning out from the middle. The other photo shows where the leak is making its way down the side of the bike. What I can't get a photo of is I can just see behind the chain and pinion at the bottom of the pinion and see the oil path starting at the gear shaft.

Any ideas as to what I need to do? Do I have to remove the entire gear box? Any thoughts on what I may need to replace? Never taken a gear box out before, so new territory for me.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
HI Chris.
Firstly, do a search, this has been done heaps.
Also look here - http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107834

Next........ no the gearbox does not have to come out, the seal can be removed after you removed the sprocket from the countershaft, and pulled out the inner sleeve.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Chris.
Firstly, do a search, this has been done heaps.
Also look here - http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107834

Next........ no the gearbox does not have to come out, the seal can be removed after you removed the sprocket from the countershaft, and pulled out the inner sleeve.
I did do a search, but I must pick the worst search terms - I either have hundreds of threads to shift through or 8 that don't apply. I will look a little deeper, but just knowing I can replace the seal without having drain all the oil/coolant and all a gear box removal entails is good to know.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
I did do a search, but I must pick the worst search terms - I either have hundreds of threads to shift through or 8 that don't apply. I will look a little deeper, but just knowing I can replace the seal without having drain all the oil/coolant and all a gear box removal entails is good to know.

Thanks.
I use "site:mvagusta.net search terms" in Google and always get better results than the site search function.

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
?

Chris...
1st make sure the sprocket nut is tight.......

Then Lisle makes a seal removal tool that will pop it right out once you remove the

sprocket and sleeve

:popcorn:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like #38 link 2 from the All you need to know page has a lot of good information. I should've looked there first - I usually do, I just forget sometimes :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris...
1st make sure the sprocket nut is tight.......

Then Lisle makes a seal removal tool that will pop it right out once you remove the

sprocket and sleeve

:popcorn:
Well, I put it on when I changed the chain and sprockets over a year ago, so I hope it is tight - or I'm going to have to get after myself for not tightening it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts