MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly developed a fault on the gear position indicator. Indicates neutral and first, then sticks at first until going back to neutral. I've looked in my PDF manual but can't find any reference to what controls this or where it is. Can someone tell me where the sensor or whatever is located please?

·
Administrator
20,348 Posts
The 750 Brutale has no gear position indicator, just a neutral light.
If yours has a gear indicator it has been added by someone and uses the rear wheel speed (speedometer signal) and tachometer signal to calculate what gear it is in.
What does your look like? Photo?

Reactions: cruiser

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I wasn't expecting that! It has the usual unstrument console, with the Brutale 750S logo on the Tach section and the gear indicator window on the right of the tach face. Coincidently I've just installed a new eprom chip in the ECU to adjust for the Arrow exhaust cans and centre section, but everything worked fine first time I rode it. Yesterday this fault occured.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh, I just read the user manual and sure enough, it doesn't have a gear indicator as standard! Funny the things you never notice until brought to you attention! So I presume the F4 has the indicator? Is the software in the eprom or on the instrument board? I wonder whether this is after market or if one of the previous owners had an F4 display fitted?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Is it possible that is some funky custom job? If so I want it for my B4!!

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I knew!! I just took it for granted as standard equipment!! I need to find out though, because of this fault!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Yes, as Ed mentioned, this is a custom job.

Go to the customising section and search on Gear Indicator - there's a heap of info

Reactions: theknurl

·
Administrator
20,348 Posts
So I presume the F4 has the indicator?
Nope...No MV had a gear position indicator until into the second generation bikes.

Like Cruiser said, go do a search ... there were some kits marketed that included new dash panel.
I have an external one on my F4 track bike mounted below the meter on the fairing stay.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
So I presume the F4 has the indicator? Is the software in the eprom or on the instrument board? I wonder whether this is after market or if one of the previous owners had an F4 display fitted?
...and you cannot take a second generation model and retro fit it either :(

·
Administrator
20,348 Posts
...and you cannot take a second generation model and retro fit it either :(
Yeah, the early models just have a neutral switch.
The Gear Position Indicator requires a sensor on the shift drum with circuitry to relay position to the ECU (and meter).....usually a varying voltage drop on a 5 volt signal.

Reactions: cruiser
1 - 11 of 11 Posts