MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confronted with following problem: gear indicator sometimes indicates a gear lower than the gear where i am in or start to change perpetually (for instance between 5 and 6 when i am in 6th gear).
Did anyone encounter the same problem? Could it be fixed easily?

Peter

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I am confronted with following problem: gear indicator sometimes indicates a gear lower than the gear where i am in or start to change perpetually (for instance between 5 and 6 when i am in 6th gear).

Peter
Mine is all over the place and has been since new (now covered 2500 miles), most common is when in 5th indicates 'N' and the neutral green light is on.
Dealer has obtained a new switch which is to be fitted in the next week or so. Will let you know if it solves the problem

·
Registered
265 Posts

Peter
Mine does this when I'm in 5th - flips back and forth between 4th and 5th. Doesn't seem to do it when I downshift into 5th from 6th, only when I up shift into 5th. The sensor is on the left side of the transmission and has 7 contacts on it that have different resistances for each gear according to the gear selector position. I'm hoping my problem is a sensor as well and not something mechanical in the gear selector. Getting my 600 mile inspection this Friday so we'll see.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine has done the same type of thing several times. I am wondering if the sensor is the one located just below the front sprocket. If so I have noticed a small amount of chain lube or grease that has fallen down onto the wiring harness there and wonder if that could be the culprit...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine has done the same type of thing several times. I am wondering if the sensor is the one located just below the front sprocket. If so I have noticed a small amount of chain lube or grease that has fallen down onto the wiring harness there and wonder if that could be the culprit...
The gear sensor is up high on the transmission on the left side (about the 2 o'clock position relative to the front sprocket under the front sprocket cover). The sensor below and in front of the front sprocket is the engine oil pressure sensor. The higher gears have lower resistance in the sensor so if one of the contacts had high resistance for some reason it would signal a lower gear position to the ECU. Mine always seems to show a lower gear than I'm in so that would indicate a resistance problem to me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
idahomike...gotcha. Yeah when mines off it's always showing a lower gear, never higher. Prob something they should eventually issue a recall for...along with the side stand sensor. Mine has shown a warning light on that once before and I have seen a few others have this problem before. The gear indicator isn't really a big issue for me tho as I'm not used to having one anyways.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I test rode an F3 around 6 weeks ago and noticed the gear indicator kept changing as I was riding along. I hope the new batch in the uk will have this sorted. If your going to have a feature like this on a bike then it should work. If it only works intermittently then dont bother putting it on the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the meantime i contacted my dealer. He immediately responded that this concerns a well known issue in Varese. According to him it should mainly be a sort of software related problem on which the factory is working. So it seems to be another "child illness" of our beloved bike!
He also stated that the problem concerns also the 675 brutale.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Lucky Or Lucky?

I swear MV must have built ONE perfect F3 & sent it to me :wtf:

I am have yet to experience a single problem that's been outlined on this thread or indeed in this section. :confused: Even my MV Corse tail tidy - after 600 miles is not showing signs of imploding.

I just hope it does not happen ALL at once, 1 day after warranty expires :laughing:

·
Registered
583 Posts

I am have yet to experience a single problem that's been outlined on this thread or indeed in this section. :confused: Even my MV Corse tail tidy - after 600 miles is not showing signs of imploding.

I just hope it does not happen ALL at once, 1 day after warranty expires :laughing:
Yea, but if anyone deserves good MV karma, from what I read on this forum, you're one to get it!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

The tail tidy failed without warning after 2000 miles and the damage could have been a lot worse both to man and machine. Another member posted a photo of the bracket failing on one side.

The damaged parts have been sent back to Italy and I am awaiting their response.

Comparing the design of the MV Corse to that of R&G, I would never recommend the Corse.
Recommend you keep a very close eye on it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got an universal aftermarket fender eliminator and coincidentally it mounting bracket snapped into two pieces, i'm suspicious it could be the excessive vibration at the rear end might be the cause of the damage.

I'm still in a process of setting up the suspension and i found it quite difficult (short wheel base might be the reason).

How's everyone with the suspension setting?? Am i the only one having problem with the setting?? Any suggestions??

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Yea, but if anyone deserves good MV karma, from what I read on this forum, you're one to get it!
Thanks man :) Sometimes you do reap what you sow ;)

The tail tidy failed without warning after 2000 miles and the damage could have been a lot worse both to man and machine. Another member posted a photo of the bracket failing on one side.

The damaged parts have been sent back to Italy and I am awaiting their response.

Comparing the design of the MV Corse to that of R&G, I would never recommend the Corse.
Recommend you keep a very close eye on it
Thanks Bruce I certainly will & I am VERY interested in the outcome of response from Italy.

Keeping a close on MVs is something I am used to, like - the documented catastrophic failures of the F4 hubs - mine has the original hub, now hitting 24K and after evey ride I clean down the bike (without water) and check all components, every 6K it is opened inspected, greased and the chain & pinch bolts always maintained at the correct tenion/torque - sometimes it pays to be born an analy retentive virgo, if we ignore all the other shortcomings. :laughing:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks man :) Sometimes you do reap what you sow ;)

Thanks Bruce I certainly will & I am VERY interested in the outcome of response from Italy.

Keeping a close on MVs is something I am used to, like - the documented catastrophic failures of the F4 hubs - mine has the original hub, now hitting 24K and after evey ride I clean down the bike (without water) and check all components, every 6K it is opened inspected, greased and the chain & pinch bolts always maintained at the correct tenion/torque - sometimes it pays to be born an analy retentive virgo, if we ignore all the other shortcomings. :laughing:
Mvista you've mentioned the virgo thing a few times.

Id like to see a photo of your sock draw or wardrobe so we can see how deep the virgo goes! ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Mvista you've mentioned the virgo thing a few times.

Id like to see a photo of your sock draw or wardrobe so we can see how deep the virgo goes! ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

:laughing: I can't do that - you'd send the straight jacket people around (under the guise of "it's for your own good") - my wardrobe has color coded hangers (season, type of event etc) facing the same direction - I have specific leathers for specific bikes but they get hung up on identical wooden hangers.

Socks - :jsm: everyman has his kryponite and you have found my achilles heel (seems an appropriate pun) - they are just tossed in the sock draw any old fashion but are course, paired together in a rollover loop. I couldn't go the whole hog there.

Scary part? I have an 18 yo son born the same day as me who makes me look positively like a slob - I show people his room as a party trick & the invariable reply comes "That's not normal for an 18yo" followed by 'How do I make mine like that?' :laughing:

What's this got to do with dicky gear indicators? Oh that's right, you don't look at yours & mine work, so that necessitates a tangent. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts