MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back there was a thread about how people admire the MVs in public, and I commented that it doesn't tend to happen in the UK as there's too many of them, (or people just don't care.) Well... I like to be proved wrong (only occasionally), and I was yesterday:

I was parked outside my local Halfords (think Home Depot for cars), looking for some exhaust wrap (which I didn't find - it seems if you're not looking for alloy wheels or dickish flourescent under-car lighting you're shit out of luck in Halfords these days - I'm sure the UK readers would agree!)

..Anyway, I'm getting back on the bike when this older guy (about 60) comes out with what I guess is his 30-something son. Anyway, the old guy just stops dead.. pauses mid-step.. frozen.. He's just stood there, open-mouthed gawping at my F4 as I start it up, wheel it out the bay, and as I engage 1st to leave I shoot him a glance, and he's still there, only he's half-raised a pointing finger, trying to say something to his son. I guess this guy remembers the MV heyday and was for a moment completely transfixed. (I guess it's a derivation on the "I use to have an auld Triumph Bonneville back when....." routine.)

On the otherhand, he might have actually been saying: "There's the fecker that cut us up on the way here. Quick, grab the bastard son, me hips just gone."

Si

PS. If you need to, Google "gurning". :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Funny!

My dad is one of those "Back when I had a Bonneville" people sort of, although he didn't have one. He has one now.

I got my thermal wrap in a hot rod shop over here (aka performance shop). Works pretty good. I have photos of it if you like.

Nobody knows what my bike is. I rarely get comments on it. This is not why I bought it though...

·
Registered
75 Posts
acruhl said:
Funny!

My dad is one of those "Back when I had a Bonneville" people sort of, although he didn't have one. He has one now.

I got my thermal wrap in a hot rod shop over here (aka performance shop). Works pretty good. I have photos of it if you like.

Nobody knows what my bike is. I rarely get comments on it. This is not why I bought it though...
Well, I know that I get a lot more diverse demographic commenting on my MV then I ever did on my 999. The Duc was noticed by kids, squids, and guys under 50 driving BMWs (yuppies) to make a gross generalization. I have had 350 lb long haired blue collar guys, a trucker (wearing a Ducati ball cap), guys driving a AMG 600, Ferrari drivers, a guy on a old platinum Moto Guzzi, etc. notice, gawk, and comment on the MV. That is kind of cool. It is not just one group or one type--it clearly appeals to anyone who likes two wheeled motorized machines. (One of the best memories has to be the guy in the Ferrari F430 who thought it would be cool to go WFO on green with me--and it was the last light before the highway. Don't meet two many of those guys who will drive it like it was stolen. The MV and the Ferrari sounded a lot alike and really friggin sexy with them both howling. Oh. One other important part of the story: he lost. :yo: :smoking: )

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I've just been browsing on a Ducati site where a poll is running. The question being, which is the better looking bike MV F4 or Duke 1098? Bearing in mind this is a Ducati forum we are talking about, the current score was 40 votes for the 1098 and 44 for the F4. :) The F4 is a beautiful bike whether you are an afficionado like us here or to the majority of laymen. I was round at my mum's old house a while back cleaning things up ready to sell it and a couple in their 70's I would guess, walking by, stopped to look at my F4, they didn't have a clue about bikes but they both said what a beautiful shape it was and that it appeared much nicer than the majority of motorcycles they had seen.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yeah there's no question of the MV's attractivness, even among those that don't know about it's great history. I live in New Yory City, "were everyone has seen it all before" and still I'm approached constantly about it. Just the other night I had it parked outside a restaurant near my house and when I went out to check on it. There was two couples talking and looking at it intensely. I kind of just stood back and listened in on the conversation. :popcorn: The guy's who were probably in their early 30's were explaining to the two young girls how exotic and super special the MV was. I just smiled as one said to the girls in a way they would understand "this things' like the Ferrari of motorcycles" and she remarks "it looks fast standing still".

·
Registered
645 Posts
john said:
I've just been browsing on a Ducati site where a poll is running. The question being, which is the better looking bike MV F4 or Duke 1098? Bearing in mind this is a Ducati forum we are talking about, the current score was 40 votes for the 1098 and 44 for the F4. :) The F4 is a beautiful bike whether you are an afficionado like us here or to the majority of laymen. I was round at my mum's old house a while back cleaning things up ready to sell it and a couple in their 70's I would guess, walking by, stopped to look at my F4, they didn't have a clue about bikes but they both said what a beautiful shape it was and that it appeared much nicer than the majority of motorcycles they had seen.
All you can say is........Tamburini is the davinci of motorcycle design.

·
Registered
161 Posts
my dad had a bonneville back in the day, in fact a whole load of truiumphs and still rides a trophy today.. . but he still got glassy eyed when he first saw my MV..! :devilsmok

1 - 8 of 8 Posts