MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Bit of a novice when it comes to the internet but realise the potential to get information from a world wide community so I thought I'd give it a go.
I am mostly interested in the Classic MV's. I am old and so are my bikes. New bikes are way too fast. Old bikes offer more adrenalin while maintaining the speed limit.

Anyhow I have just purchased my dream bike 1954 175 CSS Disco and am in need of help. It was supposedly fully restored (well that's what I paid for) but alas only did 40ks and realised it needed serious attention ( a full engine rebuild).
Very disappointing and after many hours and a lot more cash I am at the stage where I am ready to reassemble the bottom end.

Before I do I need to ensure the balance factor of the crankshaft is correct.
It came with a low compression aftermarket ASSO piston. The calculated balance factor with this piston is 47%.
Seems a bit low to me so was hoping that someone out there can tell me what the factory settings were or what works from experience.
Any help appreciated,
Gaven

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
hey mate welcome
theres a few here with the disco so ul get ur answer soon
just wanted to welcome u to the club

Reactions: Gaven_gonzo

·
Administrator
20,788 Posts
Welcome to the family !! And what a nice vintage MV to own.... Photos are required !!!

Finding good technical info on the classic bikes is tricky. The original service manuals aren't even a great source. There are some very knowledgeable folk who occasionally visit here. Hopefully someone will pop on with the info you seek.

Get 2 more posts in this section then move over to the Classic threads. Also search in there for links that may assist.

This thread has a lot of links to resources.... a bit old, but should help:

https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/14-classic/14015-owners-manuals-part-catalogues-2.html

·
Registered
627 Posts
Welcome and wow that is truly a classic bike. I would love to see a picture! Someone here will be able to help.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

I am also looking forward to seeing this beauty of yours

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I'll try to work out hoew to load a photo. It will have to be from after I cleaned her up for her first ride. Right now it's a basket case.

·
Administrator
20,788 Posts
To load a photo just drag and drop it into the box beneath the dialog box you type in when posting.... OR hit the Go Advanced button and look for the manage attachments box.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. This is a photo of the CSS.
It was ratty when I got it so you are looking at a month of detailing before this shot.
Fuel leaks a hole in the side of the oil filler etc. etc. were all repaired for it's fist run.
Did about 30ks. before the trail of smoke, fouled plug, oil flwing out of the points box, unusual vibration had the head off and now the crankcase split.
Can't tell you how many hours and dollars I have spent so far.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,788 Posts
Gorgeous !!! I'm sure it will end up as a prized possession worth every penny you spend.

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
Someone get me a bib, I'm drooling here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts