MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for gas to vent out at the first gap from the top left side of the tank? I filler it up today about 2" from the top and as I snapped the cap down I could see a small vapor then slow drip down the left side......any thoughts or normal.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
That's the gap whee the air box and the tank meet. I can't imagine a situation where there'd be fuel seeping from there. There is no opening, connectors, seams or anything in that gap where any liquid could get out. Unless that is the tank were damaged, but I think you'd know as it'd leak a lot more and it's unlikely it'd sit flush if it were.

Is it possible there was just some water residing in the gap from a very recent wash? Pushing the cap shut might have just put enough pressure on the tank to squeeze it out the gap. Was it definitely fuel? Did you sniff it?

Si

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes fuel....If I open the cap it stops and if I close it I get gas....only what I fill it up....say 90 percent

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
leaker?

Yes fuel....If I open the cap it stops and if I close it I get gas....only what I fill it up....say 90 percent
tank is leaking and it sounds like your tank vent might be plugged :jsm:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the help. I did blow air up the vent hose and could hear it out the cap.....light air that is.

The tank looks like a small hair line weld as it appears to be more straight than an impact

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, just for kicks I took a buffing wheel to inspect the area......BONDO!!!!!!!!! a large dent and over the crack!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
leaker?

Tony;
what's the history on the bike?

because this is BULLSHIT:wtf::wtf::wtf:

a leaking gas tank can kill you:jsm::jsm::jsm:

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Agree Noel. Tony did you not just purchase this bike? Was it an from a store or individual?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From an individual here in Wisconsin. I did email him last night. We will see what type of response I get. This was hidden on purpose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got off the phone with the makers of JB Weld. They have a product that they will stand behind if properly applied....900 tinsle-water and chemical proof.

I found a pin hole......tacked it shut with the tig welder........surrounded it with the JB Weld compound......we will see.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
There is also a tank sealer you can look into. I used it on my Carbon tank. Let me find it again. Several members here swear by it.

·
Administrator
19,521 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts