MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've heard a problem with the gas tanks and I think mine has that issue, but not from ethanol gas. I found a small crack in my paint job on the gas tank: it's starting to get hot in Texas and I think the heat is causing air inside the gas tank to expand. I keep my bike in a garage, but it gets hot in there

Any solutions?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Post photos.

Are you 100% sure the tank has never had ethanol fuel in it? I was in Austin a few months back and couldn't find a single fuel station offering ethanol free fuel.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The tank is vented, so fuel gasses expanding shouldn't happen. If the venting system (gas cap vent) was plugged up, I doubt it would even run.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have only used ethanol gas. Maybe I'm in denial that it's a serious issue. Hopefully the warranty will cover it

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah, that looks like ethanol expansion to me. If your still under warranty, tell your dealer, you should get a new tank. Ethanol 101... #1 use the fuel up in less than a month , #2 always use a fuel additive like Startron no matter what, #3 some get the tank lined too, a good precaution.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the assistance in diagnosing the matter. I will take it to the dealer. I bought an extended warranty along with the factory warranty so it should get fixed. And I'll make sure to use those precautions. Thanks again!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Even if it's out of warranty, your dealer should replace it. The new tanks are supposed to be designed to handle ethanol. You can tell if it's a new tank by taking the seat off and looking for a round gray circle stamped where the tank attaches to the frame.

I've had my new tank for a year now. No problems at all.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've had 3 of their supposed "new" tanks already. Take my advice about how to treat the ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A little off topic...

I'm about to line the underside of my fuel tank in reflective insulation and I've only ever had the fuel tank off 'half-way' to change the air filter. Is the green clip on the rubber line the fuel disconnect so that I can completely remove the tank? Thanks!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Still no easy available aftermarket aluminum tank for these beasts, bummer. Maybe the successor to the F4 will have aluminum tank. Ducati have made their bikes competitively lighter and still kept aluminum tank and thermoplastic fairings. MV have some catching up to do in the weight game as well IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts