MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm experiencing a "Gas Position" issue at idol and when blipping the throttle when parked. It then goes into safe mode, and "Stop engine" warning comes up.
I turn it off and leave it for awhile then start it up. If I ride off I don't have an issue. If I let idol for awhile it will do it again. Have just had it serviced and I let the dealer know about the issue as it had happened before the service.
They said they could not replicate the issue but it is a known issue..

I will wait for the next map upgrade and hope this will rectify the issue.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi Craig, yes a common fault, I have seen this many many times on my B800 as well. There are two potentiometers, one in the throttle twist grip assembly and another in the throttle bodies assembly.
On switch on they compare readings and if both within range you get test ok, if one or both are out of range they throw the stop eng gas position message
I have had this whilst riding and when at idle at traffic lights like you, the 2 to 3k rpm limp home mode sucks. The only thing to do is the repeatedly switch on and off to hope it clears, certainly not satisfactory.
My B800 has since failed to start due to starter sprag clutch failure and is dead awaiting warranty work, I hope the gas position thing goes away when the fix is done to the sprag clutch and diagnostics plug in, we shall see.
jimboF4

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Craig, yes a common fault, I have seen this many many times on my B800 as well. There are two potentiometers, one in the throttle twist grip assembly and another in the throttle bodies assembly.
On switch on they compare readings and if both within range you get test ok, if one or both are out of range they throw the stop eng gas position message
I have had this whilst riding and when at idle at traffic lights like you, the 2 to 3k rpm limp home mode sucks. The only thing to do is the repeatedly switch on and off to hope it clears, certainly not satisfactory.
My B800 has since failed to start due to starter sprag clutch failure and is dead awaiting warranty work, I hope the gas position thing goes away when the fix is done to the sprag clutch and diagnostics plug in, we shall see.
jimboF4
I guess I'm lucky at the moment as it has not happen whilst riding. I'm taking it out for a ride today and will see how it goes.

I believe MV and Eldor are trying to come up with a solution.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'm lucky at the moment as it has not happen whilst riding. I'm taking it out for a ride today and will see how it goes.

I believe MV and Eldor are trying to come up with a solution.
Just came back from a 70km ride and no issues at all. I was wondering whether it was going to do it at the traffic lights though. Seems to be when it is sitting idling for some time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Guys if your having this issue there is 2 things , the plug on the right side of bike that connects the RPM sensor there is a long pointy rubber boot on one end , make sure the skinny end is pointing down ( helps keep water from entering the plug , also inform your dealer to get you the new updated throttle tube. if your getting gas position this is a clear sign your throttle sensor is bad ) New one has a stronger spring also makes it less touchy . This is the part number for new throttle 8A00B5444 only way to tell difference from old style and new is the strength of the return spring , all the new Rivale have the new throttle tube and Craig not sure if you saw my older post , But to help start that bike until starter clutch is available. push starter button 1st then very slowly pull in clutch until starter engages the extra drag of clutch helps alot Good luck permanent fix is on the way .

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys if your having this issue there is 2 things , the plug on the right side of bike that connects the RPM sensor there is a long pointy rubber boot on one end , make sure the skinny end is pointing down ( helps keep water from entering the plug , also inform your dealer to get you the new updated throttle tube. if your getting gas position this is a clear sign your throttle sensor is bad ) New one has a stronger spring also makes it less touchy . This is the part number for new throttle 8A00B5444 only way to tell difference from old style and new is the strength of the return spring , all the new Rivale have the new throttle tube and Craig not sure if you saw my older post , But to help start that bike until starter clutch is available. push starter button 1st then very slowly pull in clutch until starter engages the extra drag of clutch helps alot Good luck permanent fix is on the way .
Thanks Mark, I will look into the new throttle tube. Hopefully it will get covered on warranty.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the same error today :S shut
The engine for 5 mins all ok. I will have to bring it back to the dealership before doing a long ride . Hope they can sort the issue out.
Let me know how you go sorting it out. My dealer is being helpful and would like to run some tests with the bike. Pity I'm 600km away and not planning a trip just yet. Last ride, 200k no dramas.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Changing the throttle tube requires no remapping or settings change . The tell tale signs of new one is wire is a couple inches longer and it has a stiffer return spring . just plug it in and go . and install the latest and most improved mapping to date

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey guys!

This is probably the 5th or 6th time I am experiencing this issue with "gas position." My bike has been serviced twice already for this, and my techs said that it has to do with throttle response and that they have upgraded a new one for me last month (November 2014). Im dropping off the bike again tuesday the 16th to see if they can fix it again the 3rd time.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys!

This is probably the 5th or 6th time I am experiencing this issue with "gas position." My bike has been serviced twice already for this, and my techs said that it has to do with throttle response and that they have upgraded a new one for me last month (November 2014). Im dropping off the bike again tuesday the 16th to see if they can fix it again the 3rd time.
Hi Dee,

Did they change out the complete throttle assembly for the upgraded one?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys!

In the nicest possible way I'm so glad that other people are having issues with "Gas Position" fault code.........thought it was just me.
My F3 Oro has been back with two different dealers & the code is back again!
Both dealers haven't changed the Throttle.
My problem is I'm based in Northern Ireland & will have to ship the Bike back over to England :bawling:
But at least I know now what causes the issue........
An absolute shambles that the dealers don't!

The fault code on my Bike usually appears when I start the Bike..........once it stayed for three straight days.
Only once has it ever appeared while riding the Bike (stuck in first gear.....bad traffic) & it's a nightmare having to ride the Bike Home in limp-mode.

Hope you get things sorted MissF3 :). il be contacting my Dealer today

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had the gas position error tonight while riding. Its the 2nd time now. Bike has only done about 400klm on the clock. Turned bike off then turned bike back on, it started not a prob, but had no throttle. Had to wait 5mins then everything back too normal. Will contact dealer tomorrow....hope they back from christmas ;)

·
Registered
896 Posts
throttle stopped working/gas position error

Okay, so less than 100kms after having the throttle assembly replaced with the updated unit I had the same problem again. This time at a track day. Did the first session no problem then over the next three sessions had it happen five times, each time turning the ignition off for a few seconds then back on got me going again.

Now the really weird thing - every time it happened on track in the same spot, just before the start/finish line, third gear around 9500rpm. I was also entering the previous straight in third and revving through the gear without issue.
In each successive session I tried a different mode, sport then normal then custom and still had the problem. After the error came up once in the last of those sessions I was able to finish the session by short shifting to fourth out of the final corner for the last half dozen laps.

In my final session of the day I went out with the quickshifter turned off for about two laps only to discover I can no longer live without it, went through the dummy grid and turned it back on and finished the session on track without a problem. THEN, had the error come up again as I coasted into my pit, this time no amount of switching off and on would clear it, I was now the proud owner of an $18000 doorstop.

So after work on Monday I called my dealer and spoke to the dealer principal regarding the reappearance of this problem. Once again he was very helpful and hapy for me to bring the bike in to put on the diagnostic and push for warranty again. I told him I wouldn't mind going through the bike myself first just to check we didn't have a bad electrical connection somewhere, he agreed it would be a good idea. First up I checked the throttle connector plug above the right air intake and the other main plug there, split them and sprayed with silicon spray but still had the error. Off with the tail section and fuel tank next, battery connections were good, unplug the ecu and more silicon spray. This one reset the error, so I just did another few plugs I could get at from there and put it all back together.

The bike started and ran fine, and I have done two trips to work and back since, around 130kms total, without a problem. Only time will tell if it's cured, I will keep you posted. If any of you are having this problem regularly it's worth a shot, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Craigo F3 800 & Jonathan F4,

I haven't had my bike for 2 weeks now due to the techs being out for holiday vacation and I'm having bike withdrawals lol. But anyways, I'm not trying to be pessimistic here but I don't think they're going to fully cure this thing. A lot of other F3 owners here are having same issue and taking it back and forth to the dealer hasn't helped any of you so I don't see them helping me. Either MV figures this B.S. out or we are just going to see this time to time. It's just a bit dangerous to me as I'm riding and it cuts my throttle with traffic going. I paid her off fully and I don't want to sell her at all. I plan to keep her as my prized bike since it's my first owned bike and I've had amazing rides with it. I am looking to get a jap bike since it's more affordable to maintain and I am almost certain I won't have to take it in to the dealer once or twice a month for an issue like my F3! =[ It's okay though, I won't ever hate MV but I NEED to ride and having to service a bike monthly due to issues, sucks.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.