MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My garage REEKS of fuel lately. There's no noticeable leaks anywhere and the tank is about half-full. The drip lines occasionally drip oil on the floor (which I collect with a small bowl so it doesn't stain).

I can't find any leaks or anything like that on the bike. What gives? Is there a pressure release valve or something? Is this normal?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is possible it is accumulating in the carbon canister, check it and see if full of fuel.
I don't know what that is. I have the manual(s) for the bike. Is that something I can find in one of them?

·
Administrator
18,847 Posts
What “drip lines”? The evaporative emissions canister is located on the side of you engine. It’s in the manuals. It’s that ugly black thing hanging on the frame for no apparent reason with a hose from the gas tank and a hose to the intake manifolds and a hose to open air. The gas tank vents into it. Not many other places for gas vapors to come from, unless you have a leaky fuel pump housing or hose to the injectors. Any dampness on top of the engine under the tank??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, gotcha. I didn't know that's what it was called.
The "drip lines" are the hoses on the side of the engine, down near the back brake pedal. I took some pics. Didn't see any moisture on top of the engine. The dash isn't throwing any maintenance lights or other warnings.

Is it normal to get a lot of gas fumes when stored in a garage? My garage is vented but that doesn't seem to be helping.

20200209_205033.jpg 20200209_204906.jpg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Those "drip lines" wouldn't drop oil. They are actually vent lines for the fuel tank. One vents from the tank to equalize pressure and the other is for drainage from the cap water/fuel. Check the canister on the left hand side of the bike as posted earlier.

·
Administrator
18,847 Posts
What "Banned" said....those are the hoses for the tank drain/vent. Fluid leaking would be gasoline, or water if you got some in the gas cap area while washing or from rain fall.

Your bike has molded internal passages for those drains. If the passage inside the tank is cracked or leaking yo will get fuel dripping from the hose when the fuel level is above the leaking part of the passage. This is a documented problem and can be highly hazardous (think house catching on fire). Do a search on the forum for other discussions.

NO, you should not smell gasoline in your garage. I am not sure your bike has an evap canister. All USA bikes came with them, but only Euro4 and later have them in other markets....and many people remove them.

Fill you tank and watch for the drips...see if it is gasoline. Contact your MV dealer (and MV directly) and tell them your tank is leaking gasoline and you are concerned your house will burn down. Ask what they are going to do about it.

·
Super Moderator
21,436 Posts
What year and model is your bike?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What "Banned" said....those are the hoses for the tank drain/vent. Fluid leaking would be gasoline, or water if you got some in the gas cap area while washing or from rain fall.

Your bike has molded internal passages for those drains. If the passage inside the tank is cracked or leaking yo will get fuel dripping from the hose when the fuel level is above the leaking part of the passage. This is a documented problem and can be highly hazardous (think house catching on fire). Do a search on the forum for other discussions.

NO, you should not smell gasoline in your garage. I am not sure your bike has an evap canister. All USA bikes came with them, but only Euro4 and later have them in other markets....and many people remove them.

Fill you tank and watch for the drips...see if it is gasoline. Contact your MV dealer (and MV directly) and tell them your tank is leaking gasoline and you are concerned your house will burn down. Ask what they are going to do about it.
You got it. I'll contact the dealer tomorrow - they're closed on Mondays. I looked on the left side of the bike and I didn't see any canister or anything hanging off it or I completely missed what it's supposed to look like. Now that I think about it, maybe there is a fuel leak. I saw a wet spot under the kickstand foot....

Not my pic, but same bike. Where is the evap canister supposed to be?

What year and model is your bike?
2017 Brutale 800 America

·
Registered
594 Posts
It is under the tank behind the throttle butterflies, left side. When you detach the tank just remove the evap canister. It will cause problems earlier or later anyway.
Here in the forums you find a how to.

·
Administrator
18,847 Posts
Here is the parts catalog drawing. You can see the 2 hoses from the tank, one to ground (water and overflow) one to canister, and the hose from that canister to ground. That is the air inlet to the canister. Fuel coming from that would be a canister full of gasoline. Your bike probably wouldn't run if that happened.
123518.png

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright. The bike starts fine, no issues there that I can tell. No hard start or rough idle. I'll get it to the shop tomorrow and see if they can find out what's going on.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Do you notice a popping noise when you open the tank?

·
Administrator
18,847 Posts
Do you notice a popping noise when you open the tank?
Jochen , his problem is a fuel leak. not a vacuum or pressure in the tank.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the same problem and it was a clogged charcoal canister that caused pressure build up in the tank and fuel leaking from the overflow drain tube. Caused all sorts of stuttering issues at idle. Removed charcoal canister and capped off vacuum lines fixed my issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No popping when I open the tank. The smell dissipated a little bit over the last few days. I haven't had a chance to get the bike to the shop and I'm going out of town for a few days so it has to wait.

·
Administrator
18,847 Posts
I'll bet it only leaks when you fill up the tank...once the fuel level drops below the rupture in the internal hose the leak stops.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Let's do this the easy way....
Remove line #6 from the tank and cap it, unlock the fuel cap
If it still leaks the overflow/water line has a leak inside the tank
If the leak stops, the vent line has a leak inside the tank
Me? I'd remove the canister anyway

1 - 18 of 18 Posts