MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone educate me on gas analyzers? Seems like I should start buying tools which can help me tune my own bike. Would be nice to have a dyno, but I think that's going a little far...

I started looking around and there are a ton of them and I don't know where to start or how much I would need to spend to get a decent one.

Mike had stated in the Melbourne post over in Kitchen Sink that he has a Snap one. Anyone else?

Also, if this is the wrong question and I really should buy something else before this to do tuning, I'd appreciate that too.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
acruhl said:
Can someone educate me on gas analyzers? Seems like I should start buying tools which can help me tune my own bike. Would be nice to have a dyno, but I think that's going a little far...

I started looking around and there are a ton of them and I don't know where to start or how much I would need to spend to get a decent one.

Mike had stated in the Melbourne post over in Kitchen Sink that he has a Snap one. Anyone else?

Also, if this is the wrong question and I really should buy something else before this to do tuning, I'd appreciate that too.
These are the units James recommends...

"For your throttle body sync you'll need a vacuum gauge. I use a UK made one:

http://www.carbtune.com/

For your CO% I also use a UK made exhaust analyzer called a Gunson Gastester, purchased from this US dealer:

http://www.aep.bigstep.com/digital1.htm "

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have said in my post above that Mike said the Gunson is not too easy to use compared to the Snap, so that's why I'm asking about others...

Thanks for reminding me about the link.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
acruhl said:
I should have said in my post above that Mike said the Gunson is not too easy to use compared to the Snap, so that's why I'm asking about others...

Thanks for reminding me about the link.
Maybe I had a bad one? but if you so much as touched it or lifted it and put it back down it would alter the reading by about 2/3%, my snap on one from e-bay was around the £70, from switch on to switch off it only drifts by about 0.3% :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have Innovate LM-1 a/f meter that uses an 02 sensor to read the mixture. I'm not sure which is more accurate a CO reading or oxygen content reading. Works well for reading the exhaust mixture and adjusting, fairly easy to use and has a recordable memory to download on to PC. You can also buy an adaptor to hook up other engine sensors too and store and download that info also. The cost was about 425.00 with the exhaust pipe adaptor, got mine from Pegasus Auto Racing. Also use a Motion Pro manometer(mercury tube) for setting bypass air and syncing butterfly valves both are easy to use. Originally bought these two to use on a FI car engine but work well on the MV for tuning as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts