MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the PDF Catalog, of which 1000 copies were printed for the original one-lot sale at Mecum. Mecum guaranteed $1M, and the bidding only reached $800K. So Mecum paid out and owned the collection, which it broke into 71 individual lots and sold at Mid-America for an aggregate of $850K. A loss of $150K, but the collection had generated enough extra traffic and bidding to more than offset the loss. (Only 6 of the 71 bikes were from the modern CRC era, including an F4 750S, 3 limited editions and the two land speed bikes.)

Catalog PDF: http://issuu.com/mecumauction/docs/mv_catalog
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/mvagustacollection

My question is... Does anyone have any idea where the F4 Serie Oro Nº 285 and/or the B4 Serie Oro Nº 201 and/or the Tamburini Nº 269 are from the collection? Anyone on here buy one of them, or know someone who did?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Can't help with where the bikes went (although I do know that Gary didn't have all his MVs in the auction) but I am fortunate enough to have the hard copy of the catalogue in the pdf along with the smaller paper back version and the poster.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't help with where the bikes went (although I do know that Gary didn't have all his MVs in the auction) but I am fortunate enough to have the hard copy of the catalogue in the pdf along with the smaller paper back version and the poster.
This is an interesting bit of news. What did he keep besides the 71 that were sold?

I'd kinda wondered what happened to the 1000 catalog hard copies. Surely they're somewhere, and possibly still available per copy.

Great snag for you to have both books and the poster. :):yo:

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the reasons I'm interested in the three modern limiteds is because the Tamburini's VIN isn't among the 59 officially imported into North America.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Not quite sure what bikes he kept but a Pullman was sold on e-bay after the second auction. The new owner asked Gary about the catalogue books and he sent the last three he had along a poster as part of the Pullman purchase. I was fortunate enough to be given a book and poster.

Gary sourced many of his bikes from outside the USA and if he never intended to register it for road use then the paper work to import the bike is probably different to that required to register the bike. Have you tried contacting MV Agusta Italy to obtain numbers (how many to each country etc).

cheers and good luck

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not quite sure what bikes he kept but a Pullman was sold on e-bay after the second auction. The new owner asked Gary about the catalogue books and he sent the last three he had along a poster as part of the Pullman purchase. I was fortunate enough to be given a book and poster.

Gary sourced many of his bikes from outside the USA and if he never intended to register it for road use then the paper work to import the bike is probably different to that required to register the bike. Have you tried contacting MV Agusta Italy to obtain numbers (how many to each country etc).

cheers and good luck
I've had third parties contact MV Agusta Italy who have close ties to the factory and/or CRC. I've never been able to obtain such an international breakdown of original allocations and export.

I have obtained all the VINs for each of all of the limited editions that were imported into North America by MV Agusta USA. (Don't ask. LOL.)

The Tamburini was likely imported under the Show and Display provision, but I'd just like to confirm that and speak directly with someone who has been through that process.

I'm also interested in purchasing one or more of those three bikes, if they're available. Trying to kill a few birds with one stone (thread). :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts