1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone here have or have used a motorcycle GPS system
on their bike? Any recomendations? I saw a Garmin Zumo 550 on line, read
some reviews, but was trying to get some opinions from fellow MVisti riders.

Thanks for the heads up...

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I'm not sure how many actually ride MVs with GPS.... For lots of reviews, check advrider.com.

I have a Garmin Que, which is a CF card into a PDA. I bought it cuz I already had the PDA, which had no other use..... I only use it for touring, which I don't do on the MV.

That said, I'm thinking of getting a proper m/c unit. Just a recent thought....they are more reliable than my PDA one, and also can be waterproof, etc. Mostly though they should receive better, I have too many probs with the Que reception. Reception is fine on open roads, but a lot of my riding isn't that here.....too many tunnels, bridges, big buildings, etc.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My pal uses the Zumo and loves it! Does everything he needs it to do, and the screen is very beautiful in all kinds of light. Very accurate and locates instantly!!!:)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have got GPSmap 378 does lot more then a motorcycle GPS. I use it on my SUV car bike everywhere.

Here is setup on CBR 1000RR.

:f4:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use a tomtom rider. I used to use my pda (tomtom again) in a waterproof box but I could not charge it whilst on the move. I bought a couple of mounts one for each bike so I could easily change it from one to another. The bike cradle has come in for a lot of criticism as to being weak and not designed well. Mine does not charge the unit properly I have contacted tomtom but they are very unhelpful and must know about the problem. If I put a couple of elastic bands to make the clasp stronger then it works ok. I just used it on a trip from Scotland (on the Cagiva though) and it worked fine all the way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i use the tomtom rider which works fine. touchscreen is nice as well as the bluetooth headset for helmet and car. carful when you download a route from an routplaner. once downloaded, check out the WHOLE route on the tomtom if it shows the same route you created on the pc

ciao
peter

·
Registered
774 Posts
FSL said:
I have got GPSmap 378 does lot more then a motorcycle GPS. I use it on my SUV car bike everywhere.
I totaly agree. I ride with a Garmin 276C on my Brutale fitted with Ram-Mount pieces.

It's perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I recently bought a Zumo 550 and love it but haven't set it up for the Brutale yet- just use it in the Touareg and BMW K-bike.

C

·
Registered
205 Posts
Garmin 60C

I've been using the Garmin 60c for 3 years. I wouldn't consider riding without it at this point. I set my routes on Saturday and then Sunday morning, ride with friends on all back roads, most of which we've never been on before. It usually works out quite well, although occasionally we run into dirt/gravel roads and have to backtrack. It gives me freedom to explore the country around my area. Our typical ride is 150 to 200 miles. We leave at sunrise and are back home by noon.

I attached the GPS to my steering stem (ZX10 and GSX-R1000 ... not on MV since I just got it). I like the 60c since it isn't too big and is great to use in other situations other than biking.

There is a technique to using the device so that you don't have to stare at the thing as you ride. In particular, how you define your routes and how these routes use waypoints can be a big deal as far as ease of use. If someone has a Garmin GPS and is interested in my lessons learned, I would be more than happy to share. I don't want to take up space here at this point. Just PM me and I'll share.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Anyone setup a GPS system on the F4? I am curious what the entire setup would be. The rammount systems would be great, but difficult for me to really comprehend in terms of what setup fits just right. I go on a lot of long rides.. would love to have a GPS system on board for them.

i DO have tomtom software on my TREO with a bluetooth GPS transmitter. I wonder what I would need to hook that up..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cycle Gadgets has a Euro Mount which is designed for our situation, but ... I looked at them at the DC bike show and even the 53mm mount was too small for the MV's 50mm forks. I even took a 53mm over to a bike on display, and it was too small. I haven't looked into alternatives, but if anyone knows of one for the MVs I would like to know.

Maybe one of the mounts will work, not sure. You can see the various mounts at:

cycle gadgets

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used an otterbox which is a waterproof box with a clear soft lid just for PDAs etc. I used one that just fit the ipaq. They do ones specifically for different model but I have seen the ipaq one and it is big. It does power the unit though. I just put the receiver in the tank bag or even front pocket of my jacket. As with the others I used a ram mount and had to drill the back of the otterbox to accept the surface mount ball but this was easy to seal with a rubber gasket (old inner tube). For the instructions I used a bluetooth receiver made by i-tech with either in ear plugs or just an in helmet speaker. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your replies. I get carried away riding bikes. End up taking roads i never seen before just to experience the scenary. So, once the Zumo becomes available in my town, i think i will pick it up.

Safe ridding.
Sexy up, rubber down.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
fast-travel.ch said:
i use the tomtom rider which works fine. touchscreen is nice as well as the bluetooth headset for helmet and car. carful when you download a route from an routplaner. once downloaded, check out the WHOLE route on the tomtom if it shows the same route you created on the pc

ciao
peter
Do you use it on your F4? What do you use (if you do) to mount it? Details & Models would be greatly appreciated. This is something i'm quite interested in.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The TomTom Rider is on sale now at Overstock.com. It's only 28% off, so not cheap enough for me, but I don't have immediate plans to buy one. If your purchase is imminent you might as well save the money, right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts