MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
garage security updgrade

New security products from Pragmasis.
2 metre chain, 2 Anti pinch pins, 2 Squire padlocks and 2 round locks and a Torc ground anchor. The chain is 16mm and sold secure rated, cannot be bolt cropped. Lets hope I never find out how good the kit is but it looks very good.
Its a good way to link 2 bikes together and onto 1 ground anchor between the bikes which makes it harder for someone to try defeat the chain and locks.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ Edward The black end cap is just a plastic heat shrunk cap to prevent any damage when threading the anti pinch pin through. The Anti pinch pin has a recess to accept the lock which is a very snug fit.

·
Registered
228 Posts
So, a VERY skilled lockpicker, obviously with years of trial and error, and specialized knowledge of lock systems, can pick this massive padlock in --- 3:34 minutes .. Yep -- obviously the weak link :-D

How long does it take to cut the bars/chains with an angle grinder then --- Oh.. but that makes noise...

In reality what you can do is delay the thieves, make it harder for them .. thats all ..

·
Registered
14,304 Posts
?

The real problem is no one is serious about the theft problem.......
Until every registering authority records the VIN AND ENGINE NUMBERS and shares the info, this will continue
Stolen bikes are made into track bikes
Used car dealers have an app they can scan the VIN AND ENGINE NUMBERS ......instant vehicle history
Kills the value of stolen frames and engines doesn't it
All track day promoters should be required to use the app
Then there is the stolen body parts problem......tough one to solve
California has the highest recovery rate for stolen bikes at 42% are returned to the owner
Go to a motorcycle swap meet in SoCal .....you'll see Sheriffs walking around with scanners.....
I thank them every time......I hate thieves

I don't do anything but close the garage door and padlock it, there are far more valuable
things in my garage than the bikes.....and the bikes are insured

·
Registered
228 Posts
"The real problem is" -- In most countries theft of motorcycles and motorcycle parts is treated exactly the same as car thefts... The main difference is how easy it is to steal a bike compared to a car .. Even if a bike has both its wheels locked with disk-locks or other locks, if the bike is not actually chained to an immovable object, the scumbags will just put both ends of the bike on a couple of skateboards .. then lift it into a van .. Several bikes can be stacked into a stolen builders van. Its then off to a garage somewhere and break the bike down for parts or swap parts around to make a "Track-day Special", remove parts of the VIN number and spin a story of "Written off in accident, but otherwise ok" -- Or sell to someone who just does not care.

Just "letting the insurance companies take the loss" and not securing your bikes is part of what raises insurance costs to insane levels .. Works out fine for us "old blokes" with low premiums because of age and living in nicer neighborhoods, but for the beginners its a real problem.

So: Secure your bikes, even in the locked garages, in my country no insurance company will pay out on theft for a bike that was not secured by additional means, even if stolen from a locked garage.

hidden RFID tagging in bodywork and "tradeable" parts goes a long way to fighting the scumbag thieves -- but only if its actually enforced by the police -- in my country the police really don't care, they use a lot more time on checking loud exhausts, aftermarket indicators and sending customized bikes in for "new MOT's" :-( -- and setting up speed traps at every bike-meet they can find.

·
Registered
14,304 Posts
DKDravis;
What a difference in the way laws are enforced between our countries
Here in California they basically don't write tickets for motorcycles at all
Freeway average traffic speed 83MPH, speed limit is 65MPH
Loud pipes? What's that???
Only State in the Country where you can split lanes
Drunk driving is severely enforced
Obliterated serial numbers on any vehicle is illegal, you'll be talking to a judge
about stolen property
Obliterated serial numbers on a gun.....Federal Felony, you'll do the time
Insurance companies paying off? They don't care how or where it was stolen from
They reimburse you for the vehicle and any extra accessories, no questions
My Brutale got knocked over in a parking lot.....
Broken mirror, clutch lever, bent shift lever and a scraped tank and foot peg
Paid $4,700 for the Brutale, insurance paid me $4,995 for the damage
Had the check in 4 days

·
Registered
228 Posts
@theknurl --
Yep .. very big differences .. On the Drunk driving thing fortunately we have managed to change the perception in most of the population .. Drunk driving is a big no-no here ..
Motorcyclists are a small minority here, the weather is not ideal bike weather .. we have a lot of rain and the wind always blows (We have on average less than 3 days a year with no wind) (Hence all the wind-turbines ?) Bikes are just not a factor, and the Police has a distinct bias against bikes .. Generally "normal people" sees them as dangerous toys only usefull for speeding and annoying honest "cagers" Insurance companies here are all in cahoots, and I'm convinced that there is no real competition for the pricing of insurance on bikes, since the market is small. A lot of the big insurance companies won't even insure bikes .. :mad: And when you claim for damages, they fight pay outs as far as they can .. takes months to get paid for claims, even on cars or other property damage. I have waited 4+ months on a simple claim for damages due to a break-in once.
Here the authorities (police, vehicle registration e.t.c.) don't give a toss if a vehicle is not (or has not been) registered (and the government has gotten its extortionate 150% registration tax)
There is NO way to get any kind of insurance on a track-day bike, the insurance companies all have an "out-clause" in their Property insurances: Unregistered Motor Vehicles that are kept in locked storage are not insured, unless they are Farm or working vehicles.
I know people who have spotted their own stolen bikes at track-days somewhere else in the EU, and not been able to claim them back, because they were never registered here.
(Bike bought in Germany as a track bike, used on tracks in DK, then stolen from garage in DK, and spotted on a racetrack in Slovenia at a track day meet ... the theiving bast..ds had not even bothered to change out characteristic race parts, some of which I manufactured in Carbon as one-off specials..) DK police just shrugged and "could do nothing" Police in Slovenia were just rude and abusive..

On the other hand: We have only the EU emmision rules, and only for newish bikes. We can work on and change any part of our bikes, including the "Emmision parts"
Check out Wrench Monkees bikes .. most of their customs are road legal here.. I've run with rather loud pipes on my Ducatis, never had a problem with the police enforcing "noise rules" -- But I did have dB killers for the Ducs for when I went on trips to Germany -- they would Ground you, if they found you too loud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts