MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As with most of my projects I have to admit that I got a bit carried away, but finally, after 2 months (my travel schedule does not allow me to make the process I want to), my garage is finished !
Background : I went through a company relo most recently in March, moving from GA to NJ. While the 'main' house (the only one I will keep long term) is in Bend OR, I broke down and decided to make upgrades to the garage of my 'employment driven' home.

The previous owner of my NJ home (a bond trader) used to work on diesel engines for a hobby (bizarre) and the garage was a real mess. I basically stripped it down and repainted walls & ceilings + put down a solvent based expoxy coat on the floor. Since I wanted both the Porsche and Ducati logo embedded in my floor, I had to apply a base epoxy (gray), then apply the 2 logos (decals), followed by a clear epoxy 18 hours later.

The result is nothing short of phenomenal !
One big learning has been that I underestimated the work on the floor. The quality of the end result is driven by the prep, and in case of a heavily contaminated floor that means diamond grinding and multiple washes with muriatic acid (dangerous and stinky).

Results are attached. I hope my company will not move me again next year. I also hope the next owner who picks up this house likes European marques :)

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some 'before' pictures

Some 'before' pictures.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,643 Posts
That is beautiful and difficult work!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And this is what I see now when I walk into my garage in the morning :)

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Epoxy - Coat" solvent based expoxy. It's not a paint, there's 2 liquids that need to be mixed. After 3 days becomes as hard as nailpolish.
Color : silver with black & blue flakes.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Very nice mate you done great job love the floor decals I'm going to be doing similar when I buy our new house want to turn into a bike only man cave lol god job mate

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
So when can I move into your garage? Looks great.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yves, that's a beautiful job you've done there! If you did the diamond cutting with that handheld grinder, then kudos to you!! I have thought of doing an epoxy floor in my garage, but with the extent of floor prep that would be required there's no way I would even attempt it with a handheld grinder. I would definitely need to use a rented industrial unit on my floor! Yours came out great- congrats on a job well done.

BTW, since you're new to the Northern NJ area, if you are into using your Porsche for AXing and track then you should join the Northern NJ Porsche Club (NNJR) as they are very active and a great group. You will also find many motorcycle enthusiasts there as well.

Enjoy your rides, and your man cave!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yves, that's a beautiful job you've done there! If you did the diamond cutting with that handheld grinder, then kudos to you!! I have thought of doing an epoxy floor in my garage, but with the extent of floor prep that would be required there's no way I would even attempt it with a handheld grinder. I would definitely need to use a rented industrial unit on my floor! Yours came out great- congrats on a job well done.

BTW, since you're new to the Northern NJ area, if you are into using your Porsche for AXing and track then you should join the Northern NJ Porsche Club (NNJR) as they are very active and a great group. You will also find many motorcycle enthusiasts there as well.

Enjoy your rides, and your man cave!
I actually only did the diamond cutting on the oil spots. For all the other areas the acid wash(es) was enough.

Regaring the PCA : I've been a member since 2005. Transferred my membership from Peachtree to NNJ, but haven't been able to mingle yet. Year 1 of a move is so busy... Lookign forward to some New England fall rides though.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you notice the Bubalicious poster next to the stairs ? :)
Souvenir from my Atlanta days. Good people.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Did you notice the Bubalicious poster next to the stairs ? :)
Souvenir from my Atlanta days. Good people.
I did , but did not want to stir big Randy :naughty:, are you coming for a peak this year ?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately I can't. Got several trips abroad coming up.

I did , but did not want to stir big Randy :naughty:, are you coming for a peak this year ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts