MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to see this tonight, thought it was really good and of local interest as the tanks were borrowed from a museum local to me.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Went to see this tonight, thought it was really good and of local interest as the tanks were borrowed from a museum local to me.
Bovington?..., yeah I'm really looking forward to it myself.
And being a bit of a tank buff I love to see accuracy in this area...., instead of a Russian T34 or American Patton tank 'dressed up' and pretending to be a German Tiger1.

And I know Bovington's Tiger1 is a runner....
Brian:)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My girlfriends nieces fiancé is a volunteer at the museum, drives the tanks and stuff on exhibition days I think and was involved in the filming.

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
And being a bit of a tank buff.....
Ya think? You stating that you're a "bit of a tank buff" is like me saying I'm a little short and bald......:stickpoke

(For those that aren't aware......Brian has modeled WWII tanks is super human detail.....he may know more about arcane military war machinery than any man alive.....). :)

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Bovington?..., yeah I'm really looking forward to it myself.
And being a bit of a tank buff I love to see accuracy in this area...., instead of a Russian T34 or American Patton tank 'dressed up' and pretending to be a German Tiger1.

And I know Bovington's Tiger1 is a runner....
My mate ran me through the inaccuracies with that particular Tiger 1, his uncle was the engineer who pulled it out of the desert...........still would love to add a Tiger to the collection...one day (I know where a couple are)

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
My mate ran me through the inaccuracies with that particular Tiger 1, his uncle was the engineer who pulled it out of the desert...........still would love to add a Tiger to the collection...one day (I know where a couple are)
I know...,and it largely depends on the 'campaign' it would be used in in any particular film.
As you know this particular example was captured from the campaign in the North Africa (Tunisia) and as such did not have any 'Zimmerite' (anti magnetic ridged paste coating).
Tiger1's used in the Ardennes by Michael Whitman or at Kursk for example did have this Zimmerite.
Also later Tigers used steel rimmed wheels as opposed to the rubber rimmed wheels that are typical of this example.
The 'very' early ones had a kind of 'tread plate' pattern front fender (over the front drive sprocket) No Zimmerite on these also.

Many many changes from campaign to campaign through the war...however the Tiger1 is mainly categorised as
..'early'...,'mid'... and 'late'. And there are 'changes' as well in each of these 'Marques'.

This however is typical of German WW2 armour (Panther.., Pz3..,Pz4..,Stug ....,etc..,etc, along with the Koingstiger (King tiger or Tiger2) which was made by both Henshel and Porsche and differed 'mainly' in the 'turret' (the Porsche turret had a curved front) but they also differed around the 'drive train'

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I know...,and it largely depends on the 'campaign' it would be used in in any particular film.
As you know this particular example was captured from the campaign in the North Africa (Tunisia) and as such did not have any 'Zimmerite' (anti magnetic ridged paste coating).
Tiger1's used in the Ardennes by Michael Whitman or at Kursk for example did have this Zimmerite.
Also later Tigers used steel rimmed wheels as opposed to the rubber rimmed wheels that are typical of this example.
The 'very' early ones had a kind of 'tread plate' pattern front fender (over the front drive sprocket) No Zimmerite on these also.

Many many changes from campaign to campaign through the war...however the Tiger1 is mainly categorised as
..'early'...,'mid'... and 'late'. And there are 'changes' as well in each of these 'Marques'.

This however is typical of German WW2 armour (Panther.., Pz3..,Pz4..,Stug ....,etc..,etc, along with the Koingstiger (King tiger or Tiger2) which was made by both Henshel and Porsche and differed 'mainly' in the 'turret' (the Porsche turret had a curved front) but they also differed around the 'drive train'
You would get on well with my mate ****, he is a Tiger nut from way back :)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

It must be a laugh a minute watching a war film with you :laughing:

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Ya think? You stating that you're a "bit of a tank buff" is like me saying I'm a little short and bald......:stickpoke

(For those that aren't aware......Brian has modeled WWII tanks is super human detail.....he may know more about arcane military war machinery than any man alive.....). :)
Randy is too kind...,and me saying I was a " bit if a tank buff" is a gross overestimation....., it would be true however to say I have a passing interest.:)
You would get on well with my mate ****, he is a Tiger nut from way back :)
Here is a good account of the capture of Tiger '131' in April 1943 by Lt Peter Gudgin of the 48th Royal Tank Regiment.
http://www.tankmuseum.org/asset_arena/textual/12/bovtm_tank_times_feb_2012.pdf
(3rd page down)

It must be a laugh a minute watching a war film with you :laughing:
My problem is I have too many 'anorak's':laughing:
My wife can testify to that!!

It's worse though when we go to a building I worked on..,(Waterfront Hall eg) to see someone in concert and I spend half the evening pointing out the wall panelling or Doors I fitted!!:ahhh:

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
Man, I love learning from this place.:smoking:

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Brian, how 'bout posting (or re-posting) a couple of pictures of your tank models. Where did I see them? Please do so, because they are spectacular.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts