MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks ago the fuel tank of 1090RR got replaced at the local dealer.

After a couple week end of riding gas started leaking midway through a ride out in the county. It was discovered because the bike ran out of gas on a route that bike should have had enough fuel to do.

The bike was taken into dealer.

A couple weeks later after the end of a long ride the bike started leaking gas again. The gas appeared to be coming through the screws that connect the bottom plate to the gas tank.

My Question is: Was this most likely a result of faulty parts or poor dealer insulation?

The bike hasn't been taken in again yet. I asking because losing confidence in the dealer pretty quickly because this is the second time this problem happen after the install and nature of the problem and the possible consequences (a fiery death).

I need to know that I can be sure this problem isn't going to happen again.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
They need to replace the O-rings on the Fuel pump plate, if you where using E10 based fuels, those O-rings are probably wasted.
That would be my starting point in any case.

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
E10, uggggghhh! Makes me feel sick to stomach knowing there is still some residual ethanol in my tank. No more E10 for my beloved after the initial fill.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
A split in the internal overflow hose or loose inside connection would cause fuel to escape. As would the internal air vent hose ..

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
A split in the internal overflow hose or loose inside connection would cause fuel to escape. As would the internal air vent hose ..

joe
Yup, but it would run out from the overflow tube Joe, not leak out from around the pump base plate ! ?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Apparently someone in the shop thought they would save time getting the tank back on faster by using ducati parts that looked similar instead of waiting to get an order though for official MV parts.

Hopefully this will be the end of the situation.

I will say an emerging fuel leak while riding was very disconcerting especially since it was during the times of all the fire warning days and fire raging all over the news everyday at the time.

I don't know what the real odds are of such a problem resulting in a bike going up in flames while out on a ride but with all the fires raging around at the time on the news and constant updates about it being prime fire weather-it felt very real and scary.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
The fire danger is very real, many a MV have gone up in flames, so have some other brand bikes, because of fuel fittings breaking or leaking. The tank is right on top of the alternator and starter motor.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Donsy; in theory if they over torqued the mounting bolts they could crack the bottom of the tank at the molded in inserts......very unlikely

my vote, they pinched the big O-rings

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
?

The correct answer is NO
The correct material for the O-rings is Buna-N, it's excellent with gasoline AND Ethanol look it up!

My Brutale has 31,000mi on it with only ONE O-ring installed

Make sure the 36mm nut on the fuel pump plate is snug too

>:)

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
@theknurl .... the question was whether the o-rings applied to F3s as well. The answer is Yes. The F3 also uses the same o-rings.

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
The correct answer is NO
The correct material for the O-rings is Buna-N, it's excellent with gasoline AND Ethanol look it up!

My Brutale has 31,000mi on it with only ONE O-ring installed

Make sure the 36mm nut on the fuel pump plate is snug too

>:)
@theknurl .... the question was whether the o-rings applied to F3s as well. The answer is Yes. The F3 also uses the same o-rings.
Gentlemen, as the esteemed knowledge base of the MVA.net community, please ensure you have the correct information when propagating a discussion. The F3?B3 series of bikes uses a different sealing method for the Fuel Pump Plate:

F3 675 Fuel Pump Seal.jpg

You two are better than that! :nerd2::shitfan::stir::moon::popcorn:

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
And so it does....I admit ignorance with the 3 cylinder models. :shitfan: :loser: :eek: :later:

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
Love you Ed!

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
????

I was responding to Bad Role Model's post #10 where he quoted Donsy's post #2.....on the reason
for fuel leaks.....exposure to Ethanol

Which is incorrect.......Buna-N is the recommended compound for both gasoline and Ethanol

The MV O-rings fail mechanically not chemically......the answer is NO

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
I was responding to Bad Role Model's post #10 where he quoted Donsy's post #2.....on the reason
for fuel leaks.....exposure to Ethanol

Which is incorrect.......Buna-N is the recommended compound for both gasoline and Ethanol

Evidently the F3 uses seals and not o-rings..... we were both wrong in that respect.

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
The MV o-rings have failed both chemically and mechanically for me. If an o-ring is swollen and "sloppy" when removed, that is a chemical failure.

Buna-N, which is NITRILE rubber, and VITON, which is a fluoropolymer are both acceptable for fuel use.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
?

The MV o-rings have failed both chemically and mechanically for me. If an o-ring is swollen and "sloppy" when removed, that is a chemical failure.

Buna-N, which is NITRILE rubber, and VITON, which is a fluoropolymer are both acceptable for fuel use.
If the O-ring is swollen, it's the wrong rubber compound for the fluid....
Buna-N works with gasoline AND Ethanol
Viton (a fluorocarbon) works with gasoline but not so well with Ethanol
The black fuel pump plate O-rings in Buna-N are $0.30 ea from McMaster-Carr
The silly green Viton O-rings.....
Are $17 from Ducati and $12 from MV

Your call>:)>:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts