MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is truly amazing how bad fuel is these days from the pump, IMO. Whether you get it from any of the big names, it simply sucks. I always wondered why it takes slightly longer to start the motors in not only my bikes but also in various cars that I have owned (when compared with videos of various performance vehicles starting that I have seen), and I've used all the available big names except for Chevron (no chevron station nearby), and every one of them have had similar "ever so noticeable lazy starts". While some were better than others, my eyes opened up when I finally put some very special fuel into my MV after I drained (siphoned) out the balance of my very first refuel for her and replaced the fuel for canned boutique fuel. I never realized how big a difference fuel quality makes until I tried the most special of fuel. That fuel is special because it simply is not available at the pump. That fuel is simple and pure ethanol free and unleaded fuel of 92 (R+M)/2. Now I can only ride my MV inside the confines of my own property(namely my garage and driveway) because its no longer allowed on the road because the fuel is not from the pump and does not have ethanol or other crazy stuff added in that makes it stink like rotten vegetables and dead rodent stench. But now my bike starts as soon as the starter turns and runs smoother than ever before.
You may wonder if fuel stabilizers improve the performance, I gather it will, but decided to immediately get the exact recommended fuel requirement for my MV because its the first vehicle I have owned that specifies uncommon fuel that cannot be found at the pumps in CA. Now I am stuck with a dilemma. My bike is brand new, only has but about 200 miles on her and I don't want to run anything but the specified fuel. I guess I'll just do circles in my garage or take to the track to enjoy her from now on. Oh yeah, did I mention, the price to do this is about 4x buying premium. I did this as an experiment and realize now that quality is not part of the equation in common pump fuel. Now where's the nearest Chevron, I intend to try that on my Duc next to see if I can improve the quality for my daily driver. YMMV

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
You are not alone.
We have an airforce tech among the riding group. He went out and got some samples from local outlets and tested them. Octane ratings were well below the label, ethanol content was way above the label and water content was surprising. I don't remember the exact figures, but we are talking well outside what an average person would call manufacturing tolerance.
Add to that a manufacturing stuff up (a batch of premium accidentally got ethanol added) which was not declared until a lab test was presented, along with a claim for fuel pump damage...

And how about an oil retailer selling branded containers of high end synthetic oil (grey import) that tested up as containing 70% canola oil!

Excuse the rant, but just because we pay top dollar, doesn't mean we get quality product!

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
Fragile, you can ride your bike on the streets regardless of the fuel in the tank. There is no law saying you can't ride because you don't have pump gas in the tank.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Find someone who sells ethanol free fuel. But a 50 gallon drum of it and put it in your garage. That is what I did. I run it in all the bikes and lawn equipment.

Plus, it's so damned convenient. Just fill your tank before a ride right in your own driveway.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the advices. I will seek out an ethanol free source that does not cost what I paid on this experiment. My MV exhaust now smells nearly as pretty as she looks, haha.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, you may be referring to some fuels for offroad use I recall came in different colors. The fuel is put in is nice and clear. The odor non-offensive, as well. Exhaust is nearly odorless. The real take away is that my fuel system is no longer at the common aging risk of using crap fuel. Since I don't ride my MV but on special occasions, now I won't have to deal with the dissatisfaction of down the road fuel related failures due to sitting age.

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
I buy ethanol free 90 octane at several gas stations around my home, for about the same price as their 93 octane E10 crap. 90 is what MV and most others specify for octane rating (R+M/2).

When I buy E10 I use StarTron ethanol treatment in it.....that's a treatment, not a stabilizer. Stuff works very well.

Many threads on Ethanol gas here. Do a quick search for entertaining reading.
You can buy ethanol free gas at most marinas. Ethanol is anathema to boat motors.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am pretty sure my insurance company would take an especially dim view of me having 205 litres or 44 gallons of 98 octane in the garage. I kept 60 litres of diesel and 40 of 98 octane for a while but decided it was best to stop storing it at home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts