MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so i had the famous issue of the hose blowing off in the fuel tank...fixed the hose with a new clamp, put the fuel pump back on, went to put the tank back on the bike, now its leaking like crazy out the bottm. Their is two O-rings (green), does 1 go on the top ring, then the 2nd at the base? the one on top rings seems quiet large, is that usual? Any tricks or something i'm missing to why its leaking. see pic...should i put some type of sealant or silicone bead around the base? Help...

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had two O-rings on mine. One at the base and one at the edge. I bought two new ones and put it all togheter just like it was. No leaks and I do not think it´s a problem to have a o-ring one to many...

Cheers!

//M

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I had two O-rings on mine. One at the base and one at the edge. I bought two new ones and put it all togheter just like it was. No leaks and I do not think it´s a problem to have a o-ring one to many...

Cheers!

//M
I see that F4s ( 09 and prev ) have one O ring. Brutales two O rings . I don't know about the later bikes.

OP should check for damage, ageing, stretching to the O rings or damage to the seating area in tank and also fit the lower of the two O rings in the groove and not loose under the upper O ring. It's not meant to be there . ; )

Fit the O rings with silicon grease smear.

joe

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yeah thats how mine looks, but the ring up top keeps rolling down to the base, or wont go in evenly and gets all twisted up. Maybe its worn out or something...I just went in the garage, and had it set up top in the groove, and was able to pinch it between my fingers, maybe 1/4". if i order new rings from the dealer will they be the same size or is in fact these two rings are the same?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I think they are the same size O ring..pm Noel the Knurl on the forum. I'm pretty sure he will help you out. Don't buy from a dealer as will be silly $ ...

In your situation, I'd be putting new O rings in. Even if you get it to stop leaking by say swapping the O rings around, it will be playing on your mind as to will it pop again..

joe

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
They are both the same size when fitted new, but with time they do stretch and both should be replaced together. As Joe said a smear of silicone or petroleum jelly makes they slide back in good. Same rings as a 749/916 and later model Ducati's so if you have a dealer close thats the quick and easy answer.

jimboF4

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
MV and Ducati state that these (green) fuel pump seals should be replaced every time the pump is removed, as the seal will swell when exposed to the atmosphere..

·
Registered
14,533 Posts
green Os?

MV and Ducati state that these (green) fuel pump seals should be replaced every time the pump is removed, as the seal will swell when exposed to the atmosphere..

because its the wrong O-ring material:wtf::wtf:

oh, their replacement recommendation couldn't be that they are selling you a $0.30 part for $11.47 could it?

you want Buna-N......well thats, what the O-ring design book says anyway:stickpoke

Stateside;
call McMaster-Carr and order them you'll get them the next day

#9452K197 Buna-N O-ring AS568A dash 247, a pack of 25 for $7.48

while you have them on the phone get some fuel line O-rings too

#9262A141 Metric O-ring, Buna-N, 1.6mm wide 8.1mm ID
a pack of 100 for $5.72

if you have an F4, epoxy the notches in the pump mounting flange, its in Donsy's sticky......then the O-rings won't get cut:drummer:

or you can go to the dealer and pay $11.47 each for the big O-rings
or $0.30 my way, your choice:jsm:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts