MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been a while..... I went to turn on my 2005 F4 today and I noticed the fuel pump not priming. I checked the fuse on the right side of the bike and the 15A fuse was intact.

I do need to mention that I haven't started my bike in over 6 months. Life kinda got in the way of riding.

Has my fuel pump failed? Any easy ways to check and make sure its the pump and not a electrical issue? Anyone have one for sale?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dons, how you been? Great to be back.

Full charge. But no buzzing from the pump when the key is turned on, or when the kill switch is turned on and off like it used to.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know an easy way to test if its the pump? Like using a test light to see if the pump is getting power when the key is turned on. I mean I can put the test light on the fuel pump fuse to see if it sends power when the key is on, but on the wire harness plug, which pin should I check for power to make sure its not an electrical issue.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
just talked to Joe...

he's calling me in the morning to remind me to check the wiring of the pump......I posted it a long time ago and bookmarked it....

a browser update ate 4,000 bookmarks off my desktop and laptop .......by updating my phone....I love electronic geniuses

as col says "FUCKTARDS"

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hey bud
I had the same issue. When i pulled the fuel pump out the wiring to the pump had come off. I had to re solder the wires back to the pump and aroldited them in so they would never disconnect agAin. Been 8 yrs not a problem since.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike has not been taken apart or worked on since it's last start. So I don't think it's a wiring issue. Maybe corrosion in the plug........ Or the fuel pump is stuck.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am not sure if MVs have a fuel pump relay but the one on my Suzuki trackbike crapped out. Check the wiring diagram and see if it has one.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Any chance it's just gummed up a bit from sitting and needs a tap to get started? I've had fuel pumps in the past that just needed a tap on the back to get them started after sitting, then they worked fine.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Any chance it's just gummed up a bit from sitting and needs a tap to get started? I've had fuel pumps in the past that just needed a tap on the back to get them started after sitting, then they worked fine.
Good point, was fuel stabilizer used during said 6 months, and was it 10% ethanol based fuel? If it is/can be gummed/stuck, it would need stripping wouldn't it? Had my floats in RZV500R's carbs gummed up from sitting too long.

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
Joe,welcome back.My bet is a gummed up fuel pump after sitting for so long.Remove tank and drain.Remove pump and wash out,then test the pump on a bench with a 12v battery.New filter and re-assemble.Good luck.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. But if Im going to go through the trouble of removing it, then I might as well replace it.

But I was thinking. once I verify with a tester that the pump is getting power when its supposed to, maybe I can take a extra long screw driver or a socket extension and tap/bang on it while trying to start her, maybe it will get unstuck? Im really not looking forward to getting the tank off and messing with that stupid fuel pump o-ring.

Either way, thanks everyone for your help and warm welcomes. Especially Noel!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point, was fuel stabilizer used during said 6 months, and was it 10% ethanol based fuel? If it is/can be gummed/stuck, it would need stripping wouldn't it? Had my floats in RZV500R's carbs gummed up from sitting too long.
Fuel stabilizer was used, can't recall the name, it was an enzyme based marine grade stabilizer that was recommended on this forum. So much for using it huh? lol

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
for those of you with the same problem......

the wires going to the pump are #1 & #2 on the pump plug, the 2 on the left, facing the plug, single tab down

if you pull the rubber cover back you will see the numbers

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well. I grabbed a hand full of tester and went to town on my fuel pump problem. Thanks to Noel's research I have tested the correct pins and have verified that the bike is sending power to the pump when I crank it. And furthermore, when I gave the pump direct 12v power, I heard a faint click from the pump then nothing. I tried tapping on it and hitting it with a 2 ft long socket extension and nothing. It wouldn't budge.

So long story short, it's the pump.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts