MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It just doesn't let up. I haven't been able to ride the bike for 2 months. The issues just keep coming thick and fast.

I am desperate for help. The bike starts without warnings. 30 seconds later, the bike stops. The fuel pump then refuses to prime and obviously the bike won't start. Again no warnings.

We have checked everything that we can think might be an issue. All connectors have been lubricated. TPS sorted. Nothing wrong with the fuel pump or its cabling.

The bike is in and has been at the workshop for 2 months. Went in to sort out a hub problem that was caused by the authorised agent and his use of the wrong grease and a light hand with the torque wrench. After that and some general preventative care, such as those mentioned above, valve clearances, new plugs etc, this issue presents itself and even worse.... is the very worrying pieces of metal we found in the oil.
(pic attached)

Has not been ridden or moved at all and we are lost as to what could be wrong. We have called many other workshops in an effort to track this down. No luck.

You might be tempted to ask why it is not currently sitting at the authorised agent workshop. Well he is of little use and has contributed to the problems, so NO THANKS.

You might also ask why don't I contact MV? Well I have and I gave them a very long list of issues I have had from go to now. Their response was to take it back to the agent. FUCK THAT.

The bike is now out of warranty .

So in summation, what a fantastic lemon I have. Anyone have any idea re the fuel pump anyway.

Forgive the wavering post.....I am just so tired of this.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I can come across either negative or confusing at times, but if anyone knew what I have been through with this machine, they would understand why. I will, now, never be a fan boy for the MV Agusta brand per se, or the 'network' and am never going to apologise for being brutally honest or offensive.

I am however not willing to give up on the bike. It has gone way past a basic owner/machine scenario. It has become a very surreal situation where the whole 2 year drama has become a pretty accurate analogy of my life. Fix myself and I fix the bike, or vice versa.

Anyway thanks for the feedback as always. I will keep you posted.

End of the day Donsy, all I am aiming for is to ride the damn bike and not spend week after week living in hope that this will be the weekend that I get to do that.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Jeez that sounds like a right nightmare. It must feel like the bike is fighting you in some way.

When you get elusive faults like this it can be very frustrating, do you have a contact that has the same model and would be willing to do a bit of parts substitution to try to get to the problem. Like Donsey hassaid try swapping out the fuel pump assembly see if helps.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Steve, when you say: "The bike starts without warnings. 30 seconds later, the bike stops.", what are the conditions. Key in? Key on?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jimbo, I have a mate with a Brutale 800 who may be willing. I believe the units would be the same.

Chuck,
key on - dash check ok - primes - ignition - runs - engine stops with key on - dash lit and normal.
turn key off - turn key back on - dash check ok - no prime - engine cranks over - no ignition.

After a rest of five minutes see above conditions.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Please tell me about your battery.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Jimbo, I have a mate with a Brutale 800 who may be willing. I believe the units would be the same.

Chuck,
key on - dash check ok - primes - ignition - runs - engine stops with key on - dash lit and normal.
turn key off - turn key back on - dash check ok - no prime - engine cranks over - no ignition.

I don't think I can even begin to imagine your frustration here!

I had a similar issue with my 2015 Dragster RR - 18 mile ride into work, bike was absolutely fine, even started without fault.

After work (7 hours rest) bike would not prime, no faults listed or anything, but just would not start. Got it recovered to the dealer, who advised that the sprag issues had knackered my battery.

They changed both battery and sprag and it is now fine (in that department).

I kind of hope its the same thing for you, just at least so you know what needs fixing so you can get back on the bike.

Im guessing it's getting to the point where you feel that surely this should be the last issue you will have cos you have had so many?!!

Good luck man

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Again, I ask you to tell me about your battery...
(Long distance diagnostics are a PITA without basic info.)

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Thanks.
I'd have to do a bit of research, but you may know: Does your bike have a "latch relay"?

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts

Chuck,

Steve, there is missing information to my mind.

Are you saying the bike starts and, while running normally, it simply stops on its own with no operator input?

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
I would be looking at the relay that tells the fuel pump to start.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve, there is missing information to my mind.

Are you saying the bike starts and, while running normally, it simply stops on its own with no operator input?
That is exactly what I am saying. And yes it does have a relay.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
It seems that, if the bike will start and run, and then the bike shuts off and the fuel pump will not start after that point, then the ssoruce of the problem is what tells your fuel pump to start.

Test, or replace, the fuel pump relay.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
I would also check that the fuel pump fuse is in good shape and seated solidly...no loose connections.

I would also check the fuel pump connector.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Chuck,
I am going in to the workshop this morning to ensure that these procedures have been carried out.
I have been looking at the electrical schematics and it appears that the fuel pump is connected to a clutch switch (what the hell is that and why?) as well as the actual key switch. I guess this would be our next step.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
If you look at the start sequence for your bike, the following things must be true for it to get fuel:

Kickstand up(or down and in neutral), Clutch pulled in, key on, tip over sensor good, water sensor good, battery voltage good, start button engaged

There is a guide for troubleshooting in the workshop manual with electrical drawings showing what is needed to get the bike to start.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Just to eliminate it, I would try substituting with another battery.
Check for power to the pump when you turn the key on.
Then check that the pump works by direct connection to a battery.

I presume that you have checked the lines inside the tank?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts