1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to double post but my bike is stuck at the shops
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100833

Did a short ride just then in the rain on the brutale 920

Went to ride home the electrics turn on as normal and the normal fuel pump noise but it does not stop?
(pump noise keeps going )

Bike wont crank or turn over\ no click noise or anything
no petrol leaking and i have a full tank
I believe the dash is displaying everything normal

never had it before , is it flooded or something weird

checked the electrics are all dry under the seat

checked its not the bike kill switch or the stand sensor ..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tried again this morning , bike wont start still, pump keeps making priming sound , dash gives the ok sign, looked in the gas tank no weird ripples or anything from the pump (someone mentioned this for someone else)

looking in the manual now will take the fuses down , trying to figure which it could be as they are tiny

·
Premium Member
13,695 Posts
If the bike was an F4 the problem could likely be your latch relay, but the brutale doesn't have one. Have you looked inside the tank to see if the hose to the filter popped off?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the bike was an F4 the problem could likely be your latch relay, but the brutale doesn't have one. Have you looked inside the tank to see if the hose to the filter popped off?
Its not crystal clear in there and the tank is full so hard to tell, also no sign of the fuel being disturbed at all , possibly ethanol corrosion, checked not fuses , I didn't mix up the fuses I'm 100% sure but now it's throwing engine and speed sensor warnings

Its getting towed think the MV has killed itself on a 1 km ride to 7/11 in the cold somehow 5000k on the clock, it was a display bike before I got it so could have had ethanol in the tank for a year possibly

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
The ECU controls the fuel pump test and power to the pump.You rode in rain so maybe its just a case of moisture in a connection?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shrug will report back, it didnt seem to have condensation on anything , its at the mechanic i expect to hear something monday

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
btw assuming its something in the tank can you actually get at the pump in there? i would have thought it was a sealed unit or does the pump screw in with a plate or something

·
Registered
405 Posts
Based on what I know about the 1090 and assuming the 920 is similar...The fuel pump with ignition on runs for a pre-set time (typically 2 secs) which is a setting in the ECU config file, it then stops until the engine starts. If the fuel pump was permanently running as is the case with yours this would not stop the bike from starting as the ECU has no error feedback from the pump. There is certainly a relay on the 1090 so I would be surprised if the 920 doesn't have one but if its latched on it should still start. I would try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, this cleared a very similar fault on my 1090 when I had the stock ECU on, sounds too simple to be true but it did work, the only conclusion I could come up with is the ECU needed to be reset, but the symptoms were exactly as you describe the only difference was mine cut out while riding it, and then dash ok, fuel pump constantly running but wouldn't crank.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Based on what I know about the 1090 and assuming the 920 is similar...The fuel pump with ignition on runs for a pre-set time (typically 2 secs) which is a setting in the ECU config file, it then stops until the engine starts. If the fuel pump was permanently running as is the case with yours this would not stop the bike from starting as the ECU has no error feedback from the pump. There is certainly a relay on the 1090 so I would be surprised if the 920 doesn't have one but if its latched on it should still start. I would try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, this cleared a very similar fault on my 1090 when I had the stock ECU on, sounds too simple to be true but it did work, the only conclusion I could come up with is the ECU needed to be reset, but the symptoms were exactly as you describe the only difference was mine cut out while riding it, and then dash ok, fuel pump constantly running but wouldn't crank.

Thats a great post Shaun....and your suggestion to disconnect the battery consistent with advice I had been given before on ecus in general if they go haywire...Its certainly worth a try.

joe

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Good grief i'm beginning to wonder why there is even a search function for this site.
And what if the fella does a search and comes up with the wrong information..or misinterprets archive info. Then there s always the stong possibility that some one may contemporaneously come up with something new to add to the discussion and knowledge base.

So yes while guys should refer to the manuals and search its also good to talk...and its fun...and knowledge is aquired over time in layers otherwise We'd not go to school but just plug ourselves in at the library and download in one hit.

Joe

·
Registered
405 Posts
So yes while guys should refer to the manuals and search its also good to talk...and its fun...and knowledge is aquired over time in layers otherwise We'd not go to school but just plug ourselves in at the library and download in one hit.

Joe
thanks Joe...and the manuals are not always correct, oh and neither am I but you take the info and decide what to do with it, forums have saved me so much time, effort and money + as you say there is an element of fun.

·
Registered
819 Posts
And what if the fella does a search and comes up with the wrong information..or misinterprets archive info. Then there s always the stong possibility that some one may contemporaneously come up with something new to add to the discussion and knowledge base.

Joe

Was in reference to post #8.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Are you fellas sure the pump runs under a preset time? Or maybe it primes the fuel system to a certain pressure? If running off pressure yet not seeing the fuel system pressurize wouldn't that have the pump running continuously?

It should probably run on a timer, but just tossing out ideas where there would be a possibility one could reproduce said issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same problem. It was a broken fuse box. Had to replace it. At the dealer will cost sure €800-€1000. I bough it on ebay for €330,00!!

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
I would think it runs on a timer, mostly because there's no wiring from the pressure regulator that could stop the pump once up to pressure.

Resetting the bike by disconnecting battery can sometimes work, if it was a older model like a 910S I would have blamed the SPU right away, but since it's a much later model, a bit of scratching might be involved here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Based on what I know about the 1090 and assuming the 920 is similar...
Thanks for the quality post , for others reference ive been told this was a failed shorai battery.

The battery was less than 6months old, im not sure if they just disconnected it , re connected and then decided they wouldn't mind selling me a new one. anyway , im charging my old lead battery and taking it in.

Pitty your post would have saved me about 150$ hope this post helps others in future

-
What really threw me is i rode to the shop fine , and within about 5minutes at the shop this issue with the battery happened , also the fuel pump and bike startup sounded fine, if it was just a failed battery id expect the bike to try and turn over or not make the .. ahhh whatever i cant even bother typing i should have just thrown some money in the trash

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
FWIW, failed batteries can cause some interesting symptoms.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts