MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it may be to early to tell be but I think my mileage dropped by 15%. I put a mid pipe arrow shorty, BMC air filter PCIII and a custom map. I use to get between 112-117 before the light would come on. Today it came on at 95 mile ( this is the first full tank I ran since getting the mods). Wow and i thought I get better mileage with the map and mid pipe. I guess not.

PS. I did get 15 more HP after the mods and it's like a new beast! So I guess it equal 15 HP for 15% mileage.

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
Want better mileage????don't twist the throttle so much. Seriously, variables prevent comparing one tank to the next. Watch over a long term and see what you get. But more HP might equal more fuel burned.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had an interesting comment made to me by a friend the other day about MV fuel consumption.

Mine is using the whole tank to do what it use to do, before the fuel lite came on 2 years ago. His comment was that MV's because of their fuelling maps wash the oil off the cylinder walls giving premature wear therefore we shouldn't expect a longlife engine. Those who use to complain of the the smell of fuel after getting off on a long ride. Can attest to excessive fuel consumption. :popcorn:

·
Registered
14 Posts
First of all i like to say hello. I registered today so this is my first posting. I'm from Germany but i like your discussions here. And also i like to improve my English :)

To the topic: For sure as you have more power, you will need more fuel. If you use it the same way like before you should have more mileage. I have also mapped my standard 750 Brutale, but did not get it back from the shop yet. I also have ordered a PC universal hub so that i can switch between a cruising map (if the road is strait) and power map, with maximum power output. At the end you can turn like you want. These babies never wíll win a "green" price.

@ Kiwidoc: I dot think that the lifetime is reduced by to much fuel (at normal outside temperature). The 750 are very relialable. Also i never had heard about probs with worn out cylinders or pistions.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
My 750 ran very rich, and at 23,000 miles, showed zero signs of internal wear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
FTo the topic: For sure as you have more power, you will need more fuel.
Hello and welcome! You're here with excactly the same reasons as I am.
:)
But for fuelling: There are numerous bikes on the market with better mileage and more power than Brutale. And generally, better fuelling and less restrained breathing (=race exhausts) improves not just power but also consumption. Althou... I'm not convinced weather that's very easy to achieve... I've done that (exhaust & fuelling) mod three times in three different bikes, and never had any improvement on mileage...

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
First of all i like to say hello. I registered today so this is my first posting. I'm from Germany but i like your discussions here. And also i like to improve my English :)

To the topic: For sure as you have more power, you will need more fuel. If you use it the same way like before you should have more mileage. I have also mapped my standard 750 Brutale, but did not get it back from the shop yet. I also have ordered a PC universal hub so that i can switch between a cruising map (if the road is strait) and power map, with maximum power output. At the end you can turn like you want. These babies never wíll win a "green" price.

@ Kiwidoc: I dot think that the lifetime is reduced by to much fuel (at normal outside temperature). The 750 are very relialable. Also i never had heard about probs with worn out cylinders or pistions.
Welcome! :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just picked up my bike from the dyno yesterday. I had Chip map the PCIII for economy at small throttle openings and power at larger ones. I'll report after a few tanks.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I found the same result of poorer or not improved mileage with the PC3 - midpipe/BMC - I removed the PC3 and installed the Moto One chip from Australia - specifically dyn'd for my mods - worked like a dream, smoothed out the low down running, nice & full everywhere else. My mileage improved from 80miles to reserve light (no matter how I was riding) to 112 - that is 40% better mileage. No smelly gas fumes, motor is not running any hotter. No complaints on that at all. That was 2 years ago now - no issues at all in that time.

JIM

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
Hey esq'z me, are you still getting about 30-35 mpg?

I averaged 32 mpg on my last ride to the mountains. That's about the same as before I did all my mods including race ECU. The power commander was at zero map, and is now removed. I have another Power Commander designed for a bike with 4 injector circuits (the Euro3 MVs) instead of 2 circuits (pre Euro3 MVs). It's not specified for MV, but I am going to install it (swap out connectors for MV type) and see if we can tweak things. Meanwhile, my A/F ratios are actually pretty good with just race ECU.

MV Corse inox headers and cans, BMC air cleaner, iridium NGK plugs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have adjusted the throttle potentiometer, idle opening and did the synchcronization for all cylinders and adjusted CO value to spec. After this i was around 110 miles to reserve light. Bike was running fine, but was running better with the standard PC map for this model. Same mileage. Next time i will get the bike back with a special map done by dyno testing and real lambda measurement (most tuners using CO measurement methode).
If i get the dyno charts i will post it. But i have to wait for better weather before testing the bike.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies. I forgot to mention that the temp. around here was in the 50's. Not sure if this is true but heard that cold air make the bike burn more fuel. Is there any truth to this?

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
cold air is more dense. EFI system monitors ambient air temp and pressures. When air temp is cold the EFI will adjust for more fuel to compensate for more dense atmosphere (oxygen) to achieve proper ratio.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes - if you ran the bike in cold air you will need more. Probably more compared to bikes in the same conditions.

This bike is for sure the most beautiful bike i ever had. Driving is also great. But engine managment (software and hardware) are way behind big manufacturers. Also this engine is not designed for running it with low or medium reves. In this range the complete gas exchange is very unefficient.

·
Registered
217 Posts
by cruising at ~70mph on the freeway, i usually hit 120/tank at ~4 gallons. commuting at 80-85 drops mileage down to~100-110 miles. (bmc/ngk/arrow thunder, don't know, if any, eprom).

IMHO, 3-5mpg variances in these bikes (750 or 910) are completely meaningless. the engine yields crappy mileage, period. riding style will dictate mpg, not so much the mods.

i have a 16T sprocket enroute to me. suspect this will make a dramatic difference and the best part: US$26 shipped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts