MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have pinched the small seal of the fuel line connector. I did already upgrade to the metal ones, now I am in a rush where can I get one near Milton Keynes tomorrow morning?

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
22,635 Posts
Any Ducati shop should have that o-ring. It is a common o-ring. Auto parts stores should have them too.

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
?

Tom parker do them but they’re in Preston. You want a viton seal.

Nito
You DO NOT WANT A VITON O-RING.......
Check the fluid compatibility charts

The size you want is a metric one, it's slightly smaller and so it doesn't get cut,
The McMaster-Carr part number is #9262K141
In the US, if I order them buy 9am, they'll usually be here by 1- 2 pm the same day:grin2
They're ~$5 per 100

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm always happy to be educated, why would you not want a Viton O-ring? Are you talking about the material, or the size? What material is the McMaster one? OP is in UK, I suspect the CPC one would be easier to acquire.

I use Colder Products Company CPC connectors on my Aprilia with Viton seals, with a smear of vaseline or engine oil to prevent tearing, I've not cut one yet.

Don't take my word for it, here's a retailer link for an MV kit;

https://mygpracing.com/product/mv-agusta-cpc-fuel-line-quick-connectors-set-4-pieces/

From Eastern Seals website
Fluorocarbon (Viton ® FKM) | Eastern Seals (UK) Ltd

"FEATURES:
Viton® has excellent resistance to high temperatures, ozone, weather, oxygen, mineral oil, fuels, hydraulic fluids, aromatics and many solvents, and therefore used for o rings and cord. Fluorocarbon possesses low gas permeability, low compression set, and good mechanical properties.

High fluorine grades of Fluorocarbon offer higher resistance to swell in high octane and oxygenated fuel blends. This gives Fluorocarbon a superior performance in Ethanol/Methanol blended gasoline."

or here; Chemours now own the Viton trademark I believe
https://www.chemours.com/Viton/en_US/applications/index.html

or here, I think it was a DuPont product prior to Chemours;
Automotive Connectors | DuPontTM Vamac® and Viton® | DuPont United Kingdom

Regards
Nito

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
?

Simple Nito.......
Buna N O-rings are rated higher for gasoline AND Ethanol
The fuckwads at Ducati started the Viton fad......last time I checked their fuel pump plate O-rings were $17 each
MV only fucks you $12 for the same O-ring

25 Buna N O-rings are $8 and change from McMaster-Carr or $0.32 each

Which would you use?

I used to put 2 in with each hub bearing I sold and ~8 quick disconnect O-rings too
The quick disconnect O-rings are ~$5/100

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'd use and do use the Viton, cost is not really a factor, we're talking pocket change here in reality.

"Fuel systems

If you are running pure gasoline or petroleum diesel in a non-return fuel system, NBR seals will be perfectly acceptable. But change the fuel to an ethanol blend or biodiesel and you should be looking at FKM. If you have a recircualting system (i.e., return line to the fuel tank), FKM seals will generally be more resistant to the oxidized fuel. Nitromethane systems require EPDM."

(FKM=Viton, NBR=Buna).

While Buna is likely perfectly acceptable and cheaper, with sincere respect, that's slightly different from saying;
"You DO NOT WANT A VITON O-RING.......
Check the fluid compatibility charts"

I am very happy with Viton and knowing that I have what the Automotive sector had been touting for some time as the best product for fuel systems. I'm not dissing Buna or anyones decision to fit but equally Viton is not inferior, just a dearer alternative.

·
Super Moderator
22,635 Posts
Viton or Buna-N...either is acceptable.

Reactions: Nito

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have experience in the industrial hose industry, worked in it for about 20 years, so have a good working knowledge of rubber compounds. Quite simply, Viton has superior properties to NBR, or Nitrile to go by it's Dupont trade name. As far as this application is concerned, it is more resistant to the effects of petrol (gasoline), heat and aging, by an order of magnitude. However, it also significantly more expensive, which restricted it's use in the hose industry, but where the application required it, there was no question about the choice. In the case of our bikes, it's the individuals choice. Nitrile will do the job, but with a reduced life. Also, Nitrile does not like the atmosphere, so will suffer in storage unless in sealed containers. Thats why hose that conveys oil, fuel etc, will have a nitrile tube, but a neoprene cover, which resists ozone ageing. My choice would be Viton every time.

·
Super Moderator
22,635 Posts
What most are missing or ignoring in this conversation is the effect of ethanol. Gasoline is not the problem.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What most are missing or ignoring in this conversation is the effect of ethanol. Gasoline is not the problem.
Not really, Viton is suitable for Ethanol;
Quoted from above

"This gives Fluorocarbon a superior performance in Ethanol/Methanol blended gasoline."

Personally I don't use Ethanol fuel in my bikes, in the UK Esso Super unleaded is ethanol free in most areas as well as being higher octane and cleaner than regular unleaded.

None of the above was stated to start a quarrel btw, I tend to research everything meticulously and I use Viton myself and didn't want anyone to be misled into thinking it's inferior or unsuitable for this application.

Cheers
Nito

·
Super Moderator
22,635 Posts
It is becoming increasingly difficult to find ethanol free fuel...especially in the US.

I am also an advocate for Viton and it is the recommended seal fro ethanol fuels by the manufacturer of the quick disconnects....CPC

·
Registered
223 Posts
Viton has excellent resistance to Ethanol. Gasoline (Petrol) can actually be a problem, especially with the higher octane fuels, which have additives like toluene etc, these are highly aggressive to some rubber compounds, like Nitrile. Which is why vehicle manufacturers were compelled to specify fuel hoses, O rings, seals etc to be Viton or an equally resistant compound. Even winter diesel, and biodiesel fuels need vition lined hose, because of additives and ethanol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Personally I don't use Ethanol fuel in my bikes, in the UK Esso Super unleaded is ethanol free in most areas as well as being higher octane and cleaner than regular unleaded.
Thanks, I didn't know that! Although, I can't recall the last time I saw an Esso station around my area (Worcestershire). Ethanol is a scourge, nasty, horrible stuff!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks, I didn't know that! Although, I can't recall the last time I saw an Esso station around my area (Worcestershire). Ethanol is a scourge, nasty, horrible stuff!!
Shell V Power is also devoid of Ethanol. BP Ultimate also allegedly, unless you live in Devon, Dorset or Cornwall.

For some reason, the Esso one is also Ethanol free except for in Devon, Cornwall, Teeside and Scotland!! Go figure! Must be something political in that, those regions probably provide the ethanol lol!

Some of them publish this on their websites, certainly Esso, a group member on the ZXR facebook page actually tested Shell V Power and Esso SUL and provided photos.

Basically, it's a requirement for Unleaded to contain Ethanol, but no such requirement exists for Super. Some of the pumps may still say E5 on them but it's a bit like food manufacturers saying goods may contain nut extracts! My Diavel has a decal on the tank saying E5 and E10 however I 'll stick to the good stuff thanks :)

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
?

Better?
Use what ever you want.......I'll use the $0.32 fuel pump plate O-rings thank you
Here's the Federal-Mogul fluid compatibility chart for gasoline and ethanol:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
How old is that chart? Judging by the font, it looks like the 70's ;)

Here's another one attached.

Ethanol is the bottom line in this snippet. Paints a different picture to the above chart you posted. Bottom line, we're all screwed for Ethanol (-Viton FKM marginal, Buna N not recommended-) and must all change to Viton Extreme ETP with immediate effect ;)

Of course that would be 100% ethanol!

Source website full of info: Compatibility Chart for elastomers, chemicals beginning with E

Attachments

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
?

Nito;
You need to understand recommended vehicle maintenance and parts replacement intervals
The Manufacturer and stealerships want you to come in like good little sheep and get fleeced
Their object is to sell you as much overpriced crap as possible, as fast as they can get you in

You really think you need to replace Iridium spark plugs at 7,500mi????they go 80,000-100,000mi in cars
How about chain and sprockets at 3,800mi on an Oro?????
I'm at over 38,000mi on the original chain and sprockets......they should go 45,000mi, I already have the replacements
I buy Wellnuts for $0.40-0.60......I have more than the dealer and they want $2.60 each
They won't sell hub parts but want you to buy one at 22,500mi.......I'll sell you the 3810-2RS bearing for $34 + shipping

When I started out there were 2 sizes of radiator caps......
Look at this mess......and that's not all of them......the SnapOn catalogue of the test adapters they make

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi Noel,

I agree with all of that, I'm with you and it's why I do all the maintenance on my bikes myself, including maintaining a full photographic history of each bike on my own blog website which I can refer to at any time. Fantastic mileage out of your sprockets by the way, I've not managed anywhere near that but then I do live on twisty country lanes!

When it comes to fuel, or oil and even tyres for that matter, I'm prepared to push the boat out a bit for my own peace of mind. I paid 84 pence for the Viton seal so for me it was a no brainer, I believe it's a superior product for the application and should give me an extended replacement interval. Price has increased to a £1 a seal now.

Just to keep all the info on this thread for the op, the part no for the Viton (Fluorocarbon) seal for the CPC LC connector is here;
https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/products/cpc-plastic-and-brass-couplings/2/fittings-and-accessories/69/insert-seals/182/insert-seals-fluorocarbon/779/c731104/

Cheers
Nito

1 - 19 of 19 Posts