MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, i have put in short of about 300 km, on my new 1078RR. The fuel light remains on all the time and i have this weird clunky feedback on my clutch lever when shifting gears. The rattle is quite high when the clutch is not engaged. The gear shift is not that precise and a bit unsettled feeling there. Apart from this the bike rides like a dream.

Leaving the fuel light issue apart are the rest run in issues? or do i have to worry about something?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rode the bike just yesterday and it was purchased last August and delivered in November. All fluids were topped up in on PDI as its a new bike. It's more like a snatchy feel when I engage the clutch and it happens just once every time I shift gears.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I don't want to set any false expectations, but that sound a little wierd.

Can you help us help you by providing some more details about the snatchy/clunk feel E.g.
...is this in all gears or just 1st?, has this recently started or was this there when you first got the bike? Are you saying the bike has only 300km on the clock or you noticed this after a specific 300km ride?

Is there a chance that they put the wrong weight oil in there?

Cheers

·
Registered
825 Posts
revhappy,

On the clutch/gearshift issue don't worry. When I first got my 1078 @ 4000k I was pretty disappointed in the clutch/gearbox having read how good the box was on this site and others.

Gets heaps better with a few k's up and especially with more experience with the bike. A good blip of the throttle changing down helps. Also if the chains too tight it's a lot more clunky regardless of the issues this may cause with the rear hub. On this note read the many posts regarding the rear hub. Mine failed at 5000k.

Anyway back to the change. The Knurl posted an interesting and true reply on this regarding revs/engine speed etc. which was spot on but doesn't change what you describe.

Believe me it improves with both the k's and getting into the bike. Like most new bikes they don't free up until 15000k which mine has up now. The clutch rattle also seems less now but that may be cause I'm used to it. Still not the best box I've ridden, quirky like the rest of the bike which is why we love 'em.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Okay, not the same bike but still... I also have that little feedback in the clutch when shifting and the clutch makes some noise in neutral and low revs. Coming from a 1000 I noticed right away the difference. It seems to be okay though.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Guys, the 1078 engine's, F4 and b4, come with a slipper clutch, these all make a "click" which you can feel in the clutch lever. And they do rattle a bit more when not engaged too.

·
Registered
14,533 Posts
shifting?

i basically don't use the clutch

MV has best gearbox i've ever had the pleasure of using, period

on the street, on decel, give it a tiny bit of throttle ~2,000 or a tad more and just step on the lever, give it a positive push and it just slides in.....
accelerating, back off the tiniest amount and lift the lever.....roll back onto the throttle

sounds like an automatic transmission up and down :drummer:

i absolutely love doing it with other bikes or sports cars around.....with my left hand off the bar.....

i did it to my buddy John on his 998R all carbon/mag/Ducati Corse POS
he's on my left, i'm pointing my left index finger at him while shifting up and down.....
John doesn't like riding with me any more......even my stock '04 RSVR is faster than his disco'd out 998R......

and my 910R is WAY faster than my RSVR:drummer:

·
Vendor
5,372 Posts
Donsy is spot on about the clunking/clicking feeling when changing gear.When I bought my 1078F4 new I felt that.I went back to the bike shop and we both work out it is the slipper clutch.If you upchange with no clutch the noise is less pronounced.It is the clutch hub sort of moving on the ramps.I just ignore it now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My 1078 sounds pretty much the same, working in a bike shop I ride lots of different bikes all the time and every time I get back on mine I feel that the gearbox is quite clunky. Its normal though so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
hey Crg ? ,I had the same, it will disappear after a while also the oil you use will make a huge difference,the gearbox is now smooth as,check what oil you are using,if the bike is brand new it will be running on thin oil,now when you run it in they will be changing the oil to the correct type ,you will notice a big difference.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey eddy what oil do you use? I've just done an oil change hoping that the gearbox might smooth out a bit but it hasn't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow...donsy's post made me sleep well from that night on. My clutch behaves exactly the same as donsy described. Took the bike out again last week and its such a riot. Nobody messes with you when youre on it, she just flies, man!! what a bike, what sound!!!! It sort of entirely engulfs you in its character, sort of like putting on a spiderman suit or something like that. No scope for your mind to even think, she just rides.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys can anyone tell me what should i do with the fuel light thats stays on even on a full tank of gas and doesnt seem to go. Maybe its stuck!!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Hebs, mobil 1 15w-50 full synthetic,what are you using,you should have smooth gear changes by now.how many ks have you done.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cruiser: the bike has only done 300km and this happens in all the gears (i guess) and I hope they didn't fill up the wrong grade fluid as they are a very reputed MV Dealer and no way to check what's in there except to replace the fluid.

But it seems normal based on the majority of posts here.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 20 Posts