MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't know if this has been covered . my bike is ten yrs old but i would check all bikes
filled the bike up full like normal the other day , waiting for a mate so parked up on my drive slight incline .

i then noticed a small puddle under the bike . inspection revealed the filler cap seal not sealing , found excess fuel pouring over the battery and electrics

before this i had noticed a fuel smell for a while

so check you filler cap seal and put a film of sapphire silicon grease on every now and then

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

col;

the cap must vent.......and allow air in

if the tank is FULL and on the side stand and in the sun (darker tanks are worse)

the bottom of the cap will be submerged.... fuel can go up into the cap and down

through the center drain at the rear......or if the funny gasket at the rear leaks....

the fuel will go down the water drain on the left......

both routes end up at the same place, the wye on the bottom of the fuel pump plate

and then the ground.....

if you smell gas, its probably the funny gasket.....I don't have a stock cap or the gasket

and when it's hot I can smell it

but it doesn't pee I don't fill it FULL

oh, then again col my aftermarket caps are way thinner thus farther from the fuel

how fuel on your bike is going anywhere else is bad line routing too

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
noel this was pouring out not just a weep not just the vent
after drying it i rocked the bike about lost about a cupfull of fuel

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
hey Col ,also check the plastic screw in fuel fitting under the tank and replace with these,mine just snapped off

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok warned you

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mate the seal on the filler cap was not sealing after filling the tank full
myself and 5 others saw the result and the fuel on the battery and elects

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey Col ,also check the plastic screw in fuel fitting under the tank and replace with these,mine just snapped off
i work in the hydrocarbon industry and get them from tony powells

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

col;

if the tank is full to the top and the cap doesn't seal........

the fuel goes down the overflow/water drain on the left nder the cap assembly.....on

the side stand

you do a big wheelie it will come down the back of the tank into your crotch.......

but, to the battery????? got me

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
mate the seal on the filler cap was not sealing after filling the tank full
myself and 5 others saw the result and the fuel on the battery and elects
Not trying to be a smart arse here Col, just trying to help you, as Noel pointed out on the drain hole.
Hope the picture explains it, check that drain hole.
As to fuel getting onto your battery, that some pretty persistent fuel :jsm:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
drain holes ???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
again drain holes ???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the one with the rubber is the tank breather the other has a stopper in it as you can just see

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The other drain hole for water, and any fuel that gets past the seal, might be hidden under the edge of the outer flange. The well looks a bit dirty to me, no disrespect, which points to a build up of rain/wash water. A trapped, kinked or blocked breather could result in liquid being retained but gradually draining away through the severely restricted breather. Any fuel leak past the seal would similarly be trapped and could flow over the edge of the tank.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
There shouldn't be a stopper in there Col, remove it and stick a wire down the hole, if you can feel or see the wire inside the tank then there's no hose on it, someone f..ked up here.

·
Registered
408 Posts
if the "y" piece and drain /breather pipes are connected and routed properly any spillage/venting should be directed onto the ground and not over the electrics never mind the battery!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts