MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am prepping to replace the fuel filter on my F3 and in typical MV fashion they spec some super expensive crimping tool.

Pneumatic pincer: Oetiker HO 3000 ME

If you could please direct me to an alternative hand tool. Also if you know the name and size of this clamp? If you used an alternative, please let me know. I posted a pic out of the service manual below.

Also while we are on the topic, the coolant hoses also use a special clamp (was PIA to remove the first time), do you know the name of this clamp and the required tool for it too? I replaced some of mine with a worm type, but will be removing the radiator soon and don't want to struggle with the hose connected to the thermostat.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,461 Posts
They are simple ear clamps the can be cut off with traditional cutters and new ones installed with an end crimper or diagonal cutters...carefully.

Reactions: PTsalas

·
Registered
147 Posts
Knipex ear clamp pliers can be found for around $15 and work in two directions, very nice.

You can also bend the small retaining tab straight to release them with less drama.

I don't know about the 3 cylinder models but the 4's used clic-r style clamps for the cooling circuit and the special pliers are much easier to use than normal pliers. You can get them for about $10 off eBay or other online retailer.

·
Super Moderator
22,461 Posts
The later models, post 2010 moved away from Clic-R Clamps.

Reactions: PTsalas

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

I found this catalogue from Oetiker. I think MV use one of the low profile clamps on the radiators and the the ear clamp on the fuel pump. I will check tomorrow and post a pic of the radiator clamps that came off my F3. The fuel pump clamp I will confirm with the supplier based on the tool MV recommend in the service book.

This is very detailed catalogue and has the hand tools for the respective clamps. Not sure why MV would spec a pneumatic tool when they have hand tools doing the same thing.

And their website is here:

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
Here's the tools you need for eared clamps
Get the Knipex 1099 it works parallel or perpendicular to the clamp
20200220_190227~2.jpg

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Here is a picture of my radiator hose clamp from my F3.

It says Clic-R on the clamp (the stamp on mine has rubbed off, looks like a K. I was miss typing it on my google searches as Click, leading to no results and hence this post).

For those interested:
Video on how to use the required tool

and you can find the correct tool here

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
PTsalas;
The Clic-R pliers have been in my big sticky in the General Maintenance and Tech Issues for years
Why would anyone buy them off Amazon for $27+
When they're on eBay for $10-$11 free shipping ??????
Pay attention

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PTsalas;
The Clic-R pliers have been in my big sticky in the General Maintenance and Tech Issues for years
Why would anyone buy them off Amazon for $27+
When they're on eBay for $10-$11 free shipping ??????
Pay attention
Thanks Noel, the service book is the main problem here as it does not reference the required tool or make any reference to "clic-r" clamps. Normally I start at the service book before doing a search on these pages for the required tool and where I would have found your sticky.

I did a coolant change a few years ago and saw my arse trying to take off the clamps. With this tool it is super easy and a pleasure. Much quicker than a worm screw type clamp

With regards to Amazon, I merely posted the link for a description of the tool for anyone else looking. Ebay is obviously cheaper, just their adverts don't stay up long and the link might not be useful a year from now.

I hope this helps anyone else that might have been wondering.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
PTsalas;
You don't understand
If you search "Clic-R pliers, lowest price + shipping" you always get an answer
Red handles are in the US
Blue handles are in Europe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts