MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a 2562km trip over 5 days. After picking bike up from 12k service (8 hr labour charge) Valves did not require altering but will next time.
Bike runs much better than previously and basically only difference was the throttle bodies being balanced.
My physical limits on this thing per day is about two full tanks then it starts to get a bit uncomfortable about 500k is enough for the day.
Fuel consumption was an average of 12.7kpl which is amazingly consistant for the last 10,000kms. On this trip we tried to use every possible twisty route we could find. The longest distance before I gassed up was 222.8km which took 18.1 litres.
This bike is awesome in the twisties, I've never reached its limits but I usually nana along up to 7k maybe 8k revs, still can't get my head around the high revs (ex Harley rider ) Included pic of my chickenstrip just couldn't get rid of it.
Only wants are mirrors that work (worse than a harley) and a gear indicator would be nice, otherwise don't change it Mr MV.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Is that Metzler Roadtec Z6 on a Brutale :jsm: ?

All kidding aside, I had that tire on my Breva 1100, high mileage and surprising amount of grip; but I don't think I would want to twist the throttle on my 910R while heeled over on one.

Can't get my head around your fuel economy figures at the moment - I think in terms of MPG and usually get 29 -30 mpg.

OK, I just did the conversion. Your 18 litres in 228 Km equals about 29 mpg.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Excellent sounds like you had a great ride. Can someone please work out my fuel consumption, I rode for 160klm's and fueled up again and the bike took 13 liters. How many kilometers would I have gotten out of the 17 litre tank.

Cheers.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aussie MV said:
Excellent sounds like you had a great ride. Can someone please work out my fuel consumption, I rode for 160klm's and fueled up again and the bike took 13 liters. How many kilometers would I have gotten out of the 17 litre tank.

Cheers.
160 / 13 = 12.3 kpl x 17 = 209k per tank or
100m / (13/4.5) =2.8gal) = 35mpg

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thanks Kiwi Doc, It's funny though you know because I have ridden 200k's without the fuel warning light coming on, work that one out.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Aussie MV said:
Thanks Kiwi Doc, It's funny though you know because I have ridden 200k's without the fuel warning light coming on, work that one out.
I am SO looking forward to having the PC-III fitted. I'm really hoping that it improves my awful fuel consumption. My best ever until the warning light came on was 141km - just about every other time I only get to 130km.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sventekoz said:
I am SO looking forward to having the PC-III fitted. I'm really hoping that it improves my awful fuel consumption. My best ever until the warning light came on was 141km - just about every other time I only get to 130km.
Thats amazing John, I did that 200k ride from Bunbury to Perth without the Commander being fit. :wtf:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmmm...... I'm riding the Brute 750S and I'm presuming we all have the same tank. My warning light consistently comes on around 160km (100miles), and though I don't know what capacity reserve is, I ain't getting what you guys are getting in terms of economy. Is it the the power commander that makes the difference??.....

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Aussie MV said:
Thats amazing John, I did that 200k ride from Bunbury to Perth without the Commander being fit. :wtf:
Hmmmm. I'm REALLY hoping that the tune will fix it then. I've been having Greg's problems - lots of lovely fuel to breathe in... :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Idubbs said:
Hmmm...... I'm riding the Brute 750S and I'm presuming we all have the same tank. My warning light consistently comes on around 160km (100miles), and though I don't know what capacity reserve is, I ain't getting what you guys are getting in terms of economy. Is it the the power commander that makes the difference??.....
I understand that the 750/910 have the same capacity tanks, and both reserve lights come on at 4 litres remaining. I also think the 750 is harder on the fuel than the 910. Power commander is a good idea but doesn't fix everything sort of gives you more options which can be more of a problem in the longrun.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Idubbs said:
I understand that the 750/910 have the same capacity tanks, and both reserve lights come on at 4 litres remaining. I also think the 750 is harder on the fuel than the 910. Power commander is a good idea but doesn't fix everything sort of gives you more options which can be more of a problem in the longrun.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I got to baby it to get 100 miles before the fuel light coming on with my 750. When I fill the bike up, I keep it standing straight up, not on the stand to get every drop I can in the tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you add a air pocket transfer/releif hole in the filler neck it's a lot easier to fill the tank up more without it belching fuel all over the tank, then u can top up while it's on the side stand. Most other bikes have them standard from the factory. It allows trapped air a way out as the fuel rises into the neck of the filler. I did a big thread on another forum somewhere about it years back, I'll see if I can find it & post the link up here later.
Here's a pic of the Brutale after I'd done it........

WARNING !!! don't rush into this though without "thought" as u have to be very carefull where u put it & how as it's soft material there & just above is the tank outta shell it's self. I don't have control over peoples skill levels &/or tools soooo .....this is only input !

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bad fuel mileage usually is an indicater of a toooo rich fuel system.

Also if u have a good knowledge of tuning an engine u can cheat the system & lean or richen, which ever u need in your bikes case, by re-adjusting the TPS up to richen Or down to lean in the multi-metre readings. This can/will slightly richen or lean the bike right across the whole map, it's a cheats way to get it spot on for the area of the country/world you live in.(air density & height wise) or for slight changes caused by differing types of air cleaners, & variations in fuel pressure too. etc. ;).........
*added later* other things that I've found affect tuning &/or mileage in the past......................
slight variations in fuel pump pressures,not to spec.
dirty air cleaners,
Better flowing air cleaners, (ie. DNA air filter on a 620S Monster = 3% difference on a 4 Gas Analyser)
incorrect spark plug gaps,
outta spec valve shims,
dry/worn drive chains & sprockets,
low air pressures in tyres,
Large sized pillions &/or riders.... :jsm:
Dry/worn wheel bearings,
Head &/or tail winds...... :laughing:
brake pads dragging.(some brands drag on the disc more than others) &/or worn out.

If the tuning isn't spot on they have horrible throttle reponse/flat spots, & I've used this to cheat & fix the problem on differing brands of standard bikes before to get the throttle response sharp/quick again. Cheaper than a PCIII, custom map or alike. & a useful trick if u have a good ear or 4 gas analyser & don't have the $$$$$ to spend on extra parts like PC's, chips & maps, or if u live in a country where u are unable to access parts easily or cheaply.

Just input for those able to tune or do their own checking & reseach....bit of a can of worms I know but maybe usefull to some.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Drilling near your gas cap may cause an explosion! Two posts before this, a picture shows a small hole drilled in the plastic filler neck. The author cautions against doing this mod. I want to add to that caution. Electric drills spark, and the vapors from your tank may explode! Additionally, sparks or heat could occur if a spinning drill bit makes contact with metal. But even if that doesn't happen, the electric motor inside a drill often sparks. Just run your drill in the dark to see.

If you insist on trying this mod to get more gas in your tank, please consider using a hand drill for the job.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I saw that post years ago on the Brutale Forum. The filler hole was taped off to keep the plastic bits from falling in the tank and the small hole was twist in by hand with a drill bit only.I find if I fill to the top, gas will come out the vent when placed back down on the stand.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yea sorry all !
I've been trying to find my first thread on it but it seems to have been one of many threads(& PHOTOS) lost when hackers got into that forum.
Totally correct about doing it by hand (& blocking the top etc.) & not using electric drills for the reason above.
Most of the filler cap systems on other brands can be removed to do the enlarging &/or drilling, which makes things a lot easier. But The Brutale was a different animal, making it a little more tricky.
Will keep trying to find the pics at least to post & might be able to find the link for the Tuono to put here later, which may give u a bit more input.

PS...sorry to side track the thread a bit here, but have found some other stuff & will just add it on here as I find more pics etc, if u(Kiwidoc) & all don't mind that is ????

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56452

Found this/these(maybe more) on a pic back up disc.....

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts