MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi - bought a brutale 989r a couple of months ago :) and adore it, but have just been on tour with a load of friends so can compare fuel consumption for the first time :jsm: - touring with friends on gsxr1000's harley 1200's etc etc, at one fill up, having done exactly the same miles and same riding, my friend put in £12 of fuel into his gsxr, i put in £21 into my brutale !! can anyone tell me if this is normal and something i have to get used to, or might i need a visit to the mv dealers? !!

p.s. have just reached 2000 miles in total if that helps....

amanda

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
fuel consumption expect 20-30 miles per gallon depending on how you ride. not up to par with other makes, but it's also a whole lot cooler than other bikes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi - thanks for your response - that's what i think i am getting from good, hard but not stupid riding....

have always wanted one of these so looks like i will have to put up with it!!

does anyone know if a power commander would help ?

thanks amanda

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Hey Amanda, yep....they love the gas and I've tried various fueling options but they drink the gas harder than all of the other bikes I've owned. It doesn't bother most of us as we didn't buy them as economical bikes :) ...but as Shoe says....way cooler !!

I run mine on regular 91 here in NZ - I only run the H-D on higher octane 95-98.

Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:brutale:THANKS ALL -

JUST WANTED TO CHECK THERE WAS NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINAIRY - I'LL SHUT UP AND PUT UP BECAUSE I
LOVE:mouthwate THE BIKE!! JUST BEEN FOR A TOUR OF SCOTLAND AND WE HAD MAINLY SUN, SO SMILING ALL THE WAY............

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got my Brute 1078RR for a couple days now since Thursday. Still running in. But I get about 12.5-13km/l, urban riding.

I'm using 98 octane which costs a bomb. I used to just fill up my Ducati M900 with 92 Octane, the cheapest in Singapore and it gets better mileage than 95 or 98, no significant other differences too.

Anyone using lower grade octane fuel for their 989 or 1078? Do you get better mileage than higher rated ones?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
MV's love fuel! A Power Commander + Race ecu + dyno tunning might help, but not worth it if fuel consumtion is the only reason you want to do it.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
:brutale:THANKS ALL -

JUST WANTED TO CHECK THERE WAS NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINAIRY - I'LL SHUT UP AND PUT UP BECAUSE I
LOVE:mouthwate THE BIKE!! JUST BEEN FOR A TOUR OF SCOTLAND AND WE HAD MAINLY SUN, SO SMILING ALL THE WAY............

They say the sunshine always shines on Scotland hope you enjoyed the tour

shame to here about the fueling, perhaps MV will have to have a re-think about the Brutale as well as the F4

time is rolling by and other manufacturers are leaving MV behind, come on MV catch up!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah - i was subject to much banter and mickey taking every fuel station - especially when some 1000cc bikes were putting £10 in and i was putting in over double that for 100 miles !!

however - for those who are in the know

roads over - Shap, Glencoe, Alston, all were more than worth the petrol............

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
My wife and i covered 400km this weekend, a mix of 80km/h - 100km/h stuff no real traffic.

My S4R managed 6.5L/100km which is a good effort.

The wife's Brute 750 managed 8L/100km.

The S4R has a 14L tank. The Brute has a 21L tank.

For me, distance is more important than economy. I worry about fuel everytime we go away from main roads and some stints on country roads i cannot do because i don't know if there is fuel within 150km.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
For me, distance is more important than economy. I worry about fuel everytime we go away from main roads and some stints on country roads i cannot do because i don't know if there is fuel within 150km.
+1

On my 750s, the fuel warning light used to come on anywhere between 170 and 190km.

When I got the 910R last January, I was amazed at the fuel economy. I reported it in an earlier thread but not many members believed it. I was getting nearly 300km to a tank, got past 250km a few times and still no warning light. Mind you that was on a long open road trip, largely keeping withing speed limits. I found out later that things are much different riding in city traffic - warning light at 180km, though I'll still get between 200 and 250km out of a full tank out in the twisties, depending on how spirited the riding is.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I found out later that things are much different riding in city traffic - warning light at 180km, though I'll still get between 200 and 250km out of a full tank out in the twisties, depending on how spirited the riding is.
Worst the S4R has had is 90km from 10L in peak hour traffic commuting. Twisty stuff i've had 110km before the fuel light came on - i get a safe 15km with the fuel light after that it's Russian roulette.

Mind you that was with a 'Frasers tune' which was done by an imbecile. Had it tuned again and 120km commuting and on that MV Musta i got 150km down Putty Rd before the light came on. Much, much better :yo:

·
Registered
851 Posts
yamrian -"roads over - Shap, Glencoe, Alston, all were more than worth the petrol............" yup even at £10 / gallon for those :smoking:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a load of us visit scotland virtually every year - roads are awesome, police reasonably friendly and locals great - just depressing coming back really ............... lol

·
Registered
851 Posts
Did Lowestoft to Isle of Skye last year on my 910 - awesome (and soaking) then day two was up to Ullapool and surrounding area - Day 3 on to Inverness to Fort william even better cos it did stop at least stop raining for that bit and then on to Wales. Was gettin around 120 miles on a tankful.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ha ha - yeah took the ferry back last year from skye and some cyclists were moaning because it was raining and he waved us on first - the guy putting us on just laughed at him, said ' you surely dont come to scotland for the sun' and told him to stop moaning !! we seem to be lucky when we go and get 1-2 days of torrential rain, then a few days of beautiful weather ............

·
Registered
37 Posts
my 910r 07 loves fuel. but i love it had a 312r had to many problems sold it . my brute is sweet mark at
proitia says he can adjust the air fuel mixture thus improve fuel milage . bike is chipped with corse exhaust
think it getts about 25 mpg donted care it just runns hard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just observed that my Brute 1078 RR has a slightly better mileage with 95 octane opposed to 98 octane fuel.

This is consistent with my previous bike, Ducati M900, which runs furthest on the 92 Octane Fuel.

I need to observe a little longer and also try out the 92 Octane fuel to see what's the conclusion.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Running 91 and consistently get ~205-210km before the fuel light comes on. that's my day-t-day commute stuff....track days 150km and she's lookin for a top up :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Running 91 and consistently get ~205-210km before the fuel light comes on. that's my day-t-day commute stuff....track days 150km and she's lookin for a top up :)
Seems like lower octane fuel gives you more mileage. Are octane overrated and just a marketing gimmick?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts