MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if anyone is removing their tanks be extremely careful of the push in connectors these can break far to easily and are of the same type that Triumph recalled dating back 5 years to replace with metal ones, one on my brutale broke, & after being quoted $158 (each they are supplied with approx 400mm of fuel hose), i purchaced the metal items from the local Triumph Dealer for $10 they come with clamp & o ring problem solved & a much better fitting. :blah: :blah:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Tracked down the Triumph Parts:

If replacing with the Triumph item you need Triumph Part #T1241260 (2 off)

Note: they are not dry break items like the original CPC part, nor I guess the metal CPC part, but for AUD$11 who's complaining. This will mean fuel will drain out of the fuel rail when disconnected. Disconnect both at once and you won't have a worry of siphoning the tank. :later:

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Gladio said:
PREGO! It's in there! :)

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/09/fuel-line-fittings.html

I updated the page just this week with new part numbers from Omega -- chrome plated brass replacements. I have 4 tank pieces (female) and 2 bike pieces (male) on order with Omega. The bike side (male) are back ordered 3 weeks. :(
Note: A Triumph dealer is another alternative if you’re in a bind but I understand that they only offer ¼” fittings so you’ll also have to replace the fuel lines as well to make them work
Knew the info was there, but hard for those outside the US to source that stuff. CPC seem to be ignoring my email. So easiest for me was to walk into local Triumph Dealer and they are on the shelf due to the Safety Recall. They are available in 3 sizes, but we only need the part I posted (2 off). No need to change hoses, and you get a new clip in case you don't have Clic-R pliers. I think the Triumph comment should be edited and the part number added.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I was hundreds of miles into a ride in the Rockies with fairly smooth roads when mine let go. Service had been done just before leaving on this trip, mechanic while I was under warranty, but it was quite a distance before there was any whiff of trouble, maybe 4-600miles. My failure was on the female end in the tank.

·
Registered
279 Posts
that must have sucked real bad. you had to get a truck and bring it to the shop? did they suggest putting on another stock one?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just replaced a 750 Brutale Hose fittings(only) with the Triumph replacement parts. While doing it I noticed the fuel hose itself was putting excessive side force(up & Down"& backwards"if too long) pressure on one or both of the fittings(Black one closest to front of bike in this case). When the tank came off we noticed the black one had a slight bend in it(plastic fitting) away from the 90 degrees it should have had. What was happening was when the tank was on the pressure of the extra length in that hose was causing it to ride up over the top of the white fitting hose, putting undue pressure on the fittings themselves. We measured the distance between the two tank mounted parts of these fittings & found approx. 35 mm between them. This decided us to cut the hose down so as to have that approx. distance between the hose fittings tips too, so as they would have that measurement between them when the tank was on, there-by stopping the added pressure/force on the fittings. I think the right length of the fuel rail to tank hoses is very important to get right in this M/cycles case. ;)
It seemed to work & the tank went on easier & the hoses fitted flatter without riding up over one another. So I thought I'd share this with those whom may be interested in what maybe the cause of the broken plastic fittings. I beleive(My Opinion) the plastic ones are unsafe & our friends/family are in the middle of changing them out of all our own bikes, We won't risk it.
Does anyone know if the threaded part(tank fitting) of the Triumph replacement fittings is also a match for the MV by any chance, as that is the next move for us here????? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
We had to do this several months ago when the fitting let go on the 750 when we were putting the arrow chip in. I dont know why a critical part like a fuel fitting is plastic, but everyone should be aware of the problem and buy a spare. Nothing like getting up early on Sunday morning getting ready to blast your favorite road, only to have the day ruined by a f&^%$#@ piece of plastic!

Hey Jack (Gladio), MCC in Villa Park has the Triumph fittings, I picked up 2 when I was up there in May. Its a little bit of a ride for you, but they have em if you need em. I think there is even a Triumph dealer in Milwaukee?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
rsduce said:
Hey Jack (Gladio), MCC in Villa Park has the Triumph fittings, I picked up 2 when I was up there in May. Its a little bit of a ride for you, but they have em if you need em. I think there is even a Triumph dealer in Milwaukee?
I'm good. I got a box a couple weeks ago with a bunch of beautiful metal fittings. They look aircraft quality, nice stuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, plastic fuel fittings were a bad idea... I replaced mine with brass hose barbs for the time being, and they work quite well... I have metal Triumph fittings that just need to be installed if I ever stop procrastinating.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i broke the return (white) fitting

the barb end. did it while trying to adjust the overflow tube. i wasn't even touching the damn fitting. just lifting the tank on the left side a bit and i heard a "snap." i knew what it was right away.

anyway, i've got a bunch of the chrome-plated brass fittings from CPC.
the part number for the tank side is LCD10004.
the part number for the elbow-barb side is LCD23006.

i've got about 6 extra of each. if anyone needs them, i'd be happy to send them. my cost was $11/ea., not including shipping. it'll probably only cost a couple of bucks to ship a few anywhere state-side.

also, i should point out that the fuel line on my 2005 F4 was rather unique. it's a dual-layer construction. the outer tube is a soft rubber-like material, which i believe is called Sunprene (trade name). the inner tube is a white, bendable, but stiff tube. i'm not exactly sure, but I think that stuff is some type of fluroelastomer (i.e. like teflon).

it's a real pita getting the barb end off that hose. the inner tube has a real good grip on the fitting, and I had to break mine apart to get it out of there. basically, i cut the end of the fitting off, so that only the barbed end was left in the hose. then i hit the hose with a hammer to break the barb tube. it came out in three pieces.

i'm working on a write-up for James's MV blog. so, check there in a couple of days for more details on this.

alex

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
altoon said:
the barb end. did it while trying to adjust the overflow tube. i wasn't even touching the damn fitting. just lifting the tank on the left side a bit and i heard a "snap." i knew what it was right away.

anyway, i've got a bunch of the chrome-plated brass fittings from CPC.
the part number for the tank side is LCD10004.
the part number for the elbow-barb side is LCD23006.

i've got about 6 extra of each. if anyone needs them, i'd be happy to send them. my cost was $11/ea., not including shipping. it'll probably only cost a couple of bucks to ship a few anywhere state-side.

also, i should point out that the fuel line on my 2005 F4 was rather unique. it's a dual-layer construction. the outer tube is a soft rubber-like material, which i believe is called Sunprene (trade name). the inner tube is a white, bendable, but stiff tube. i'm not exactly sure, but I think that stuff is some type of fluroelastomer (i.e. like teflon).

it's a real pita getting the barb end off that hose. the inner tube has a real good grip on the fitting, and I had to break mine apart to get it out of there. basically, i cut the end of the fitting off, so that only the barbed end was left in the hose. then i hit the hose with a hammer to break the barb tube. it came out in three pieces.

i'm working on a write-up for James's MV blog. so, check there in a couple of days for more details on this.

alex
Mines the same with the "quick release" unioin also fitted to the fuel rail. With the nylon inserted pipe were you able to get a good seal when you fitted your new Omega ends?
I'm also wondering whether to get rid of the quick release union off the fuel rail end as well and just fit a "normal" piece of high pressure fuel hose

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Mines the same with the "quick release" unioin also fitted to the fuel rail. With the nylon inserted pipe were you able to get a good seal when you fitted your new Omega ends?
I'm also wondering whether to get rid of the quick release union off the fuel rail end as well and just fit a "normal" piece of high pressure fuel hose
Mike,

I am replacing the all plastic fittings with the chrome-plated brass units. However, you don't have to do that if you don't want to. The plastic works together with the brass. They are compatible.

Alex

1 - 20 of 39 Posts