MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering, when guys change these plastic quick connect fittings for metal are they changing both the male and the female fittings over as a pair ?

When I did mine I just changed the male as it's the elbow that breaks and not the female. The female part is a bit of a tit to change from what I have read so I elected to leave well alone,

Any thoughts on this guys ?

joe

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha.Donsy,.My question is attempting to drill down on whether in use who have changed to the male metal quick connects and kept the female plastic oe disconnect, get any problems long term or whether that is proving satisfactory.

and that's all :)

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Okay, I'll humour you Joe.

Most guys do not touch the plastic female fitting in my experience.

To get the plastic fittings out is not that hard at all, once you remove the fuel pump, filter ...etc from the fuel pump plate, you just heat the fuel pump plate around the fittings to melt the Loctite around the fitting with a hot air gun or a small gas torch, easy after that.

I tend to replace the female fitting once I see some serious discoloration on the fittings.

That's my $1.92

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I'll humour you Joe.

Most guys do not touch the plastic female fitting in my experience.

To get the plastic fittings out is not that hard at all, once you remove the fuel pump, filter ...etc from the fuel pump plate, you just heat the fuel pump plate around the fittings to melt the Loctite around the fitting with a hot air gun or a small gas torch, easy after that.

I tend to replace the female fitting once I see some serious discoloration on the fittings.

That's my $1.92

Thanks Donsy, I was feeling bored and lonely lol so I have sent you a pm

btw I ain't going near my pump/ tank with a torch :jsm: I almost killed myself with a soup blender mate ..:shitfan:
joe

·
Vendor
5,213 Posts
Joe,I changed both male and female fittings,it was the perfect time to change fuel filter and hoses at the same time.Made the external hoses a touch longer as well.The plastic fittings have to deal with alot of heat and go brittle fairly quickly.The female fitting will crack at the thread.My fittings just screwed out quite easily once I dissassembled the locking latch and used a socket gently.For the relatively small cost of the fitting,it's all about piece of mind that the bike won't catch on fire and fry my balls.:jsm:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I replaced both on my R312 recently. No problems getting the plastic ones out without breaking them or heat, I guess I was lucky!

Only downside is that with the metal fittings you have to be *very* careful plugging them in as it's much easier to slice the o-rings on the metal fittings that it is with the plastic ones...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts