MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
More important than price, I think year of manufacture is crucial when buying a used helmet since they are only good for about 5 years from date of first use, or 7 years from date of manufacture..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys price is reduced $270, I need to sell the helmet to pay for some air fair to thunderbolt raceway. Help please

·
Registered
947 Posts
That helmet is from around 2006 correct? It's well past its useful date. The EPS may not work properly in a crash. You shouldn't even be using it, let alone selling it. Sorry its not safe.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vapor, sorry your statement hit a a chord with me. In addition it is complete false and utterly ridiculous to think that a helmet made in the recent times would suffer from degrading performance in 8 years. Now before you question you question my credentials, Master degree in applied materials BS in chemistry. As well as growing up in the helmet manufacturing business. The basic philosophy of replace the helmet every 5 years stems from a 25 year old manufacturing recommendation when glues and resins had a tendency to breakdown after 5 years. Now a days the glues and resins used in helmets have a much longer half-life, half-life of about 12 years before normal wear n tear start to take a major hold. The helmet is still useful

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Vapor, sorry your statement hit a a chord with me. In addition it is complete false and utterly ridiculous to think that a helmet made in the recent times would suffer from degrading performance in 8 years. Now before you question you question my credentials, Master degree in applied materials BS in chemistry. As well as growing up in the helmet manufacturing business. The basic philosophy of replace the helmet every 5 years stems from a 25 year old manufacturing recommendation when glues and resins had a tendency to breakdown after 5 years. Now a days the glues and resins used in helmets have a much longer half-life, half-life of about 12 years before normal wear n tear start to take a major hold. The helmet is still useful

Checkmate lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
947 Posts
Perhaps you are correct. Talk is cheap though. We can all spout we have degrees in whatever. For all we know you could be a pilot, or janitor, etc. How about PROVE it. Back it up. Show us anything to support your claim. We are not talking about glues and resins anyway. We are talking about the EPS. Is that EPS still as effective as it should be? How effective is it going to be in another 4-5 years? EPS can be affected by many things, the environment that its in, how much the persons head sweats etc. Per Shoei, their helmets should be replaced after 5 years. Your helmet is at least 8 years old. Many years past the recommended replacement date. Should the person that purchases your helmet expect to be properly protected for another 4-5 years?

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Maintenance.aspx

·
Registered
947 Posts
Also, I bet there are not many if any people here that would purchase an 8+ year old helmet. Wonder why that is?

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Vapor......Cobra need not prove anything. I choose to take him at his word. Let the buyer beware. I'm not a candidate to buy anyone's used helmet at any price, but that doesn't preclude others from coming to a different conclusion. You have a firm opinion that differs from Cobra's, and that's fine.....but that doesn't give you, me, or anyone else who might disagree with him free reign to demand proof of his convictions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just for argument sake. What is an EPS liner made from? Expanded polypropylene or polystyrene high density foam (which by the way is a resin). A Material that is a million times denser and more reliable than that of the Styrofoam cup we drink coffee from. Half-life on Styrofoam 100 years for a piece that .150 in thickness. You actually think the material that is on your head is less stable than that of a disposable cup? Yes Shoei recommends to replace a helmet every 5 years, so if Honda told you to replace your car every 50,000 miles you would agree? Its a manufacturer opinion to sell more helmets, not to say that its bad. However you are absolutely right that many conditions play a part in how long it takes a helmet to be worn out. How much moisture has been deposited would be a big part for one. I didn't wear this helmet very much so I know there is very little wear on it.

Vapor I'm not trying to be demeaning in any way. If you would to sit down and talk with my father and I about helmet manufacturing one day that would be great.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Just for argument sake. What is an EPS liner made from? Expanded polypropylene or polystyrene high density foam (which by the way is a resin). A Material that is a million times denser and more reliable than that of the Styrofoam cup we drink coffee from. Half-life on Styrofoam 100 years for a piece that .150 in thickness. You actually think the material that is on your head is less stable than that of a disposable cup? Yes Shoei recommends to replace a helmet every 5 years, so if Honda told you to replace your car every 50,000 miles you would agree? Its a manufacturer opinion to sell more helmets, not to say that its bad. However you are absolutely right that many conditions play a part in how long it takes a helmet to be worn out. How much moisture has been deposited would be a big part for one. I didn't wear this helmet very much so I know there is very little wear on it.

Vapor I'm not trying to be demeaning in any way. If you would to sit down and talk with my father and I about helmet manufacturing one day that would be great.
Point taken. Useful information to be sure. That being said, shouldn't we be doing something to make the manufactures more "honest"?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Vapor......Cobra need not prove anything. I choose to take him at his word. Let the buyer beware. I'm not a candidate to buy anyone's used helmet at any price, but that doesn't preclude others from coming to a different conclusion. You have a firm opinion that differs from Cobra's, and that's fine.....but that doesn't give you, me, or anyone else who might disagree with him free reign to demand proof of his convictions.
Randy, you are absolutely correct. There is so much bs around alot of forums I tend to forget that this particular one tends to have good honest people as members. So, I would like to apologize to Cobra for not taking his word.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
OK, so now, let's help get this helmet sold. I'll give $5.00. :stickpoke

·
Super Moderator
22,060 Posts
Just for fun, I started a thread in The Sink to continue the helmet useful age discussion......

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree manufacturers are not honest. And Shoei recommends replacing the helmet 5 years after its purchased at retail date. Not the manufactured date. They want you to buy their helmets. They make great products and know it. If their product would have depreciation factor from just time alone then there would be no point to putting it on your head, how could you ever trust it. The helmet has be able to protect you, thus has to be made from right materials, those materials are strong and stout.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts