MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well only yesterday I said I was happy with performance of my bike but last night I had an awful night out on my beloved F3.

It was quite warm last night and I decided to visit a mate who lives in Birmingham town centre, it was going really well but as soon as I reached the centre and all the stop starts with traffic lights ect the bike became seriously hot!

The temperature went two dashes over the normal mark and the fan cut in, I could feel the heat in between my legs. I managed to find a dual carriage way to cool it down and just as I thought great it's cooling down It lost all power and rolled to a complete stop.

The yellow side stand light was flashing and it said engine malfunction stop engine.

At this point I called my mate and said I'm not going to make it.

I sat there for a moment and tried to start it, it fired up and seemed fine, I thought to myself I just hope I can limp it home, as it happens I got home ok but this is where it all gets scary, whilst downshifting to turn into my road the back wheel locked up and the bike skidded. I immediately pulled in the clutch and I sorted it self out.

I sat in my back garden and thought about how close I had come to dropping it.

At first I thought I had down shifted to early but then it all became apparent, I now have a serious oil leak, it's coming from behind the front sprocket, the oil had leak all over the lower shock link and I can only think some had leaked on to the rear tyre.

I know I did not have a leak before I replaced the front sprocket so I can only think I have damaged the seal :jsm:. It was deffo ok before so I guess this is down to me, I was so careful too.

I wondered if the spacer that pushes into the seal may be slightly smaller than the original so it's not making a perfect seal.

I don't know but it's pissing out oil and engine oil is on minimum mark!

I spent an hour cleaning off the oil and that's when I noticed the front LH fork is also leaking.

Talk about bad days biking, talk about I shud have left it alone :shitfan:

It's booked at the dealer on the 7th of September for its service and re map ect, I planned to ride there but can't see how I can now.

I will take it in the van I think and leave it with them for a few days. I will call them tomorrow to tell them to order a the seal and tell them about the LH front shock.

Hopefully the fork is covered but I doubt the front sprocket seal will b as I have replaced the standard sprocket

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bad to hear about that i was also a little bit nervous of the temperature yesterday. But i was lucky to escape the city and it went back to normal.
But i had the problem that the quickshifter stoped in neutral between 1 and 2 and between 4 and 5 which forced one time the red light for to high rpm since i was overtaking an other bike by the time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It was quite warm last night and I decided to visit a mate who lives in Birmingham town centre, it was going really well but as soon as I reached the centre and all the stop starts with traffic lights ect the bike became seriously hot!
I´m sad to hear that you have so much trouble now - after creating so many "facelifts"....

I´ve made the experience that the F3 doesn´t like rush hour traffic not at all.
This is not the terrain she is made for.
I was in the italian mountains this week and summed up yet another 1300km.
On every steep street where I rode only in 1st or 2nd gear, the temperature don´t rise up more than one dash over normal. The outside temperature was about 25-30°!

I wish that your other problems will be solved.

Cheers
Toni

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Not a good experience Dan, sorry to hear man, I hope you get sorted.
I do have a few things to add if you don't mind, I do hope it helps.

Even if you changed the sprocket's mate, the leaking oil seal on the front sprocket is a well documented problem, with guys here in Aus and over in Europe having experienced the same problem, so they should replace that under warranty.

Not unusual for a sportbike (or most bikes) to get hot in traffic either, when the fans kick in it's just the same as the fan's coming on in your car etc. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge, if the temps still keeps going up consistently, then your overheating, but if it stabilizes then all is good.
The engine cutting out might be due to some of that oil getting into a connector somewhere and causing the shut down.
Good luck man.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My fork is leaking too. I guess there is a defect with these Marzocchis and MV should do a recall on them. This can be extremely dangerous as the rider can end up with no front suspension.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
My fork is leaking too. I guess there is a defect with these Marzocchis and MV should do a recall on them. This can be extremely dangerous as the rider can end up with no front suspension.
I agree that your dealer should repair/replace the fork seal etc. But if a fork leaks oil, how does that leave you with no suspension ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I agree that your dealer should repair/replace the fork seal etc. But if a fork leaks oil, how does that leave you with no suspension ?
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the oil leaks, won't the compression and rebound damping be affected adversely? I guess the fork will bottom out even over slightest imperfections on the pavement and definitely trail braking in a corner.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the oil leaks, won't the compression and rebound damping be affected adversely? I guess the fork will bottom out even over slightest imperfections on the pavement and definitely trail braking in a corner.
You said, no front suspension, or some such, does the spring leak out too.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Don't be overly concerned about the volume of oil leaking from a fork seal effecting the the suspensions performance. What is of greater concern is where the oil is tracking down the fork and then typically back in the direction of the discs / brake pads.
Regarding the seal, do a search for Sealmate, either on this forum or google it. That would be my first port of call for a leaking fork seal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well only yesterday I said I was happy with performance of my bike but last night I had an awful night out on my beloved F3.

The temperature went two dashes over the normal mark and the fan cut in, I could feel the heat in between my legs. I managed to find a dual carriage way to cool it down and just as I thought great it's cooling down It lost all power and rolled to a complete stop.

The yellow side stand light was flashing and it said engine malfunction stop engine.

At this point I called my mate and said I'm not going to make it.

I sat there for a moment and tried to start it, it fired up and seemed fine, I thought to myself I just hope I can limp it home, as it happens I got home ok but this is where it all gets scary, whilst downshifting to turn into my road the back wheel locked up and the bike skidded. I immediately pulled in the clutch and I sorted it self out.

I sat in my back garden and thought about how close I had come to dropping it.

At first I thought I had down shifted to early but then it all became apparent, I now have a serious oil leak, it's coming from behind the front sprocket, the oil had leak all over the lower shock link and I can only think some had leaked on to the rear tyre.

I know I did not have a leak before I replaced the front sprocket so I can only think I have damaged the seal :jsm:. It was deffo ok before so I guess this is down to me, I was so careful too.

I wondered if the spacer that pushes into the seal may be slightly smaller than the original so it's not making a perfect seal.

I don't know but it's pissing out oil and engine oil is on minimum mark!

I spent an hour cleaning off the oil and that's when I noticed the front LH fork is also leaking.

Talk about bad days biking, talk about I shud have left it alone :shitfan:

It's booked at the dealer on the 7th of September for its service and re map ect, I planned to ride there but can't see how I can now.

I will take it in the van I think and leave it with them for a few days. I will call them tomorrow to tell them to order a the seal and tell them about the LH front shock.

Hopefully the fork is covered but I doubt the front sprocket seal will b as I have replaced the standard sprocket

My bike always runs hot around town, 2 sometimes 3 above that middle mark. I had 1 off the top once when I was stuck in traffic in Malton with fan running. Normal riding is about 1 below middle line for me)
I also own an rvf which runs so hot you need asbestos pants if stuck in traffic!. This bike also is so compact and weight saving design, that heat conducts through it easily. These f3 engine blocks have the bare minimum of material in construction, they will run hot. It's more noticeable othe right hand side, as many of you will notice having also lost the mesh insert on the fairing (warranty replacement)
Me, I'm not concerned. As long as enough coolant and pressure and oil pressure, all should be fine.
Your engine warning light was prob related to low oil level.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a good experience Dan, sorry to hear man, I hope you get sorted.
I do have a few things to add if you don't mind, I do hope it helps.

Even if you changed the sprocket's mate, the leaking oil seal on the front sprocket is a well documented problem, with guys here in Aus and over in Europe having experienced the same problem, so they should replace that under warranty.

Not unusual for a sportbike (or most bikes) to get hot in traffic either, when the fans kick in it's just the same as the fan's coming on in your car etc. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge, if the temps still keeps going up consistently, then your overheating, but if it stabilizes then all is good.
The engine cutting out might be due to some of that oil getting into a connector somewhere and causing the shut down.
Good luck man.

Hi Donsy,

I am always grateful of your experianced input, I think the dealer is aware now that seals have been failing as motogb have them in stock.

the temp did stabilise so hopefully all is ok

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
well just to give you all an update, I spoke to my dealer today and they have been really helpful and very understanding about the issues I now have.

I explianed to them about the oil leak and they have ordered the seal, now that I have cleaned the bike off I am going to take it on a very short and careful run around the block tomorrow to confirm it is
the front seal leaking. I am almost certain it is but just in case i will check it again.

as for the front fork, it seems this could be a common issue too but again the dealer said he will sort it.

i have arranged for my brother to take my bike in his van on the 1st of September and I plan to leave it with my dealer until it's compleltely fixed, serviced and updated.

I told them if anything has failed due to my messing with the bike I would pay for it, I really like this dealer and I'm not going to lie to them about what I have done.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Was under my bike at the weekend lock wiring the sump plug and oil filter cover.

Noticed a bit of shine around the sump gasket so checked the torque settings. A couple of the bolts weren't torqued up properly.

Annoyingly so many bolts are done with torx bits. Looks like I'll be buying a set of long reach torx bits for this bike!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
197 Posts
well just to give you all an update, I spoke to my dealer today and they have been really helpful and very understanding about the issues I now have.

I explianed to them about the oil leak and they have ordered the seal, now that I have cleaned the bike off I am going to take it on a very short and careful run around the block tomorrow to confirm it is
the front seal leaking. I am almost certain it is but just in case i will check it again.

as for the front fork, it seems this could be a common issue too but again the dealer said he will sort it.

i have arranged for my brother to take my bike in his van on the 1st of September and I plan to leave it with my dealer until it's compleltely fixed, serviced and updated.

I told them if anything has failed due to my messing with the bike I would pay for it, I really like this dealer and I'm not going to lie to them about what I have done.
Sorry to read about you troubles Perfect and that you have to wait another week before getting it to the shop. I'm too impatient for that.

As I posted elsewhere, I had the same oil leak from the front sprocket seal. Surprised me that the Importer had the part in stock. Parts can takes ages from Italy, so I've heard so many times from others about Italian bikes (mainly Aprilia actually). The part is the same as on the F4 and the shop showed it to me. They had to break the chain to get it off so I got a new gold (looks better) D.I.D. chain under warranty.
You will be smiling again soon when you collect it.
What concerns me is where a part is failing worldwide like this seal, what's to stop the same replacement part failing as well? I hope MV are looking at the cause and not just the symtom.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What concerns me is where a part is failing worldwide like this seal, what's to stop the same replacement part failing as well? I hope MV are looking at the cause and not just the symtom.
That´s my concern too.
I had a similar issue on another bike: leakage at the water pump, seal was changed twice – no effect, still leaking.
Then I insist that the shaft has to be replaced… and the issue was fixed :)

Cheers
Toni

1 - 17 of 17 Posts