MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got the bike I loved the way it just fell into corners and I found that I was riding much more quickly compared to my T509 Triumph which itself is no slouch in the handling department.

Lately that agility seems to have disappeared and it seems more of an effort to get the bike into the corners. The only thing I have done since getting the bike is to remove the front wheel to remove a carbon fibre one piece mudguard and replace it with an original one. I've checked tyre pressures and the security of all fixings I removed, nothing seems loose or out of place.

what else could I have upset??

·
Registered
834 Posts
Both are great questions. People underestimate how much an ageing tyre drops of in performance.
Donsey,

+1. Buell XB9 is a particular case in point. Slightest front tyre wear/wrong pressure = evil handling bag of shit on an bike overrated for it's handling anyway.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
639 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My senility is getting worse, I forgot I had posted this here.

Number 2, 2004 MV Brutale 750 I have no idea how many miles are under the tyres. They were on when I got them and I've probably done less than 800 miles. Just checked and got just under 4mm tread front and back.
Lacsap, I don't know if it's possible to put the wheel in the wrong way but direction of rotation tyre indicators are correct.

I do appreciate that worn tyres can affect the handling but these Pirelli's still have a fair bit of meat on so would be disappointed if the handling had gone off with a few thousand miles left in them.

I just remember thinking when I got the bike on the road that I loved the way it dived into the corners, now it seems to take more effort and I hadn't touched any of the suspension adjustments because it seemed so ideal for me. Perhaps it is just the tyres :bawling:

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just to be sure, did you check the tyre pressure???

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Did you follow the manual for the reassembly process? It is quite specific about the sequence of events. Check carefully the position and left to right arrangement of the components.
How did you support the front when you had the wheel off? Is it possible you have upset something in the head stem area?

If the front end is all ok, is it possible that the issue has crept up over a period of time? Look at the rear ride height. Is it possible it is squatting down more, thereby making the turn in lazy?

·
Super Moderator
24,098 Posts
When all else fails...go back to the beginning.

Do it again.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
check the lock rings on the shock....... if they're loose, the back will settle and it won't tip in......

reset sag F&R

find a ride height tool

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
for tyres both the wear and the age can effect handling. The tyres may have good tread but the rubber has 'gone off'. There is an indicator on the tyre which tells the week and year of manufacture.

I'm not sure how a slightly out of alignment front wheel will effect handling but it is possible to misalign the front wheel when fitting the wheel. When reassembling, did you tighten the axle nuts whilst the bike was on the stand? If so you may find the wheel is out of alignment with the bike. As far as I know, it is usual to 'loosely' (not quite the right term but you should get the gist) tighten the axle nuts, lower the bike off the stand, bounce the front end then torque the nuts. Tightening the nuts should also be done in increments as opposed to fully tighten one side then fully tighten the other.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Tyre pressures are as accurate as my gauge can make them. Would have been an easy fix...sigh!!
As for my gauge, it's showing 0.4bar higher as the pressure actually is....
So if you have a second gauge available it's worth trying !

This was the cause for some strange tyre wear on my old mans Honda.
Untill we found the error with the gauge.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts